0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Deejay & deejay kit

Subject: DJ´s get all defensive about this

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7

Original Message 1/62                 Date: 18-Aug-02  @  10:58 AM   -   DJ´s get all defensive about this

TIC

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

well i have made electronic music for about 4 years (little more actually) and been into the music for about 6 years. And now i have decided that i have to learn how to dj so that i can offer both a live show and a dj set (prolly gets more gigs) but since i can´t really afford two decks and a real mixer i decided to use what i the stuff i already have ie my laptop. So i got myself a copy of Traktor (liked that software best) and started to learn how to mix. after about six months i could put together a pretty decent set (not just my opinion a guy i know who has been dj @ docklands also thougth so) well anyway i have gotten a lot of shit from diffrent dj´s who almost refuse talking to me about dj stuff just because i use a laptop. Some say it is to easy to learn how to dj on them (automatic beat matching automatic bpm calculation automatic syncing of bass drums on tracks) So i lied about my mixtape to a some people (said i had made it with two decks when it actually was just vinyls that i had recorded and then encoded to mp3) and then a got a much much warmer welcome until i told them that it was a mp3 set with Traktor ofcourse then they all claimed to have heard somthing wrong with it. Can some one plz explain why dj´s act this way?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/62                 Date: 18-Aug-02  @  10:02 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

proximus

Link?: Link

It's all gimmicks isn't it?  

In my mind it doesn't matter how the songs are mixed but I guess if you play live it looks better if you do it all on turntables, but on the other hand there are very many well known djs who use cd players and mp3s too..

And I agree with you, though not being an expert on dj'ing, it's pretty stupid when they say they heard the difference after you had told them the thruth. "there was something wrong with it".. yeah right  

Are you getting turntables? I want some.. just to mix at home and have fun   Traktor rules by the way

Message 3/62                 Date: 19-Aug-02  @  03:26 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

dissonance

Why do djs get bent all out of shape...cause you aren't djing. you are mixing music, sure. but you aren't djing. And as far as hearing something wrong...well maybe they didn't hear anything "wrong" but maybe they did hear some shit that wouldn't have been to likely to be pulled off with decks.

Get some decks...play some records...get final scratch or something

dissonance

Message 4/62                 Date: 19-Aug-02  @  07:29 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

TiC

well and here comes dissonance and proves my point well then please then tell me what djíng is all about cuz i thougt it was about mixing records not about turntables (and i u r a scratch dj then thats a totally different story and i understand u completly) i mix techno dnb and psycodelic trance (not at the same time  i also make these styles of music and have been doing so for about 4 years i know i am no vet but hardly a newbee. And during these years i have heard my fair share of mixtapes and live sets from many well known djs (my favorits include Planet BEN adam beyer dj anti and dj faceless) and i cant se anything that they do that i cant do with Traktor and my trusted lappy. I can even se stuff that would be nearly impossible to do of two decks that can be done in traktor but i must admit that it does not require half as much practice to learn those things. But it is still hard as hell to put together a fine pumpin trance set or a hard banging techno set or a jazzy moody dnb set
its not just about the skills for me. But u do have to have some skills to do a god job even when the songs beatmatch themselves. Like for example finding wich songs go good together wich songs go where in the set and also know the structure of your tracks (not mixing out in a build up and stuff like that)

Message 5/62                 Date: 19-Aug-02  @  07:58 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

influx

they feel threatened because theirs is hallowed ground. ALL HAIL THE SUPERSTAR DJ!!!!

its NOT the same thing...but I find it amusing how DJs would behave as though they are having something taken from them, when 90% of them STILL dont acknowledge the faceless producers behind the music

funny thing is..if you take your laptop then that group of STUPID fucks who thing DJs are actually making the music as they go will probably expand since with a laptop itll look even more so.

my thoughts? WHO CARES what DJs think

Message 6/62                 Date: 20-Aug-02  @  06:34 AM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

TiC

well they are after all part of the scene and there opinions count wheter we like it or not. And lots of producers get all defensive about the software vs hardware debate. But at least i have can easily tell u why i dont think u make new music with ejay. But djs does not seem to have any real answer

Message 7/62                 Date: 20-Aug-02  @  08:28 AM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

psylichon

Anytime you have an art with history, you're going to get purist diehard wankers who tell you "you suck" when you do the same shit they're doing, only in a newer, faster, and easier way. I've seen it in every area of the music industry.

I say fuck 'em.

I'll also say I love the sound of Vinyl. But if you're just making a set and not scratching, vinyl's a hassle.

Get it on plastic however you fucking can, my man, and just smile when they bob their heads.

I put a rubber band on my crossfader when I scratch, and I can do crazy shit that guys who have played all their lives can't do. See, Mr. DJ, I'm using vinyl, but not the way you do! Aren't I a poser!?!

By not having to focus on the crossfader so much, it's allowed me to explore rhythms that would be just too complicated without a rubber band. By not focusing on technicalities like beat matching, it frees your mind up to be more creative. Fuck what they say.

psylichon

You think George Martin ever said, "We really shouldn't do it this way, no one else ever has...."...?

Message 8/62                 Date: 20-Aug-02  @  08:46 AM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

Drop

"...but I find it amusing how DJs would behave as though they are having something taken from them, when 90% of them STILL dont acknowledge the faceless producers behind the music".

What a load of pony Influx. YOu don't read the music press. DJ's are constantly supplying "top ten" charts to the magazines. Also, they are constantly praising producers in the record review sections, etc.

Come on INflux you know this :-)

Message 9/62                 Date: 20-Aug-02  @  06:37 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

influx

that has only started recently. and they still act like rock stars most of em

I dont dislike DJs, I just dont see why people want to suck their dicks so badly

Message 10/62                 Date: 20-Aug-02  @  08:38 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

Mindspawn

The reaction folks get for "unothodox" DJing (DJ=disc jockey, CD is a disc, eh? a h/d platter is a disc, eh?) is like psylichon says. Same thing happened when arps and MIDI sequencers first came out. Musos were screaming "foul!!" an' it's not real music, it's not etc., etc. And basically it comes down to fear usually. As long as the shit rocks a crowd, who cares how you do it?

In my own experience, DJs have always given me a good deal of respect. They're usually very interested in my rig when I do live PAs. They may make snide remarks behind my back, I dunno... I've heard some shit here and there, but for the most part, the gents I've dealt with have been pretty good to me.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7

There are 62 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum