0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: getting the kick balanced

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/15                 Date: 10-May-02  @  08:19 PM   -   getting the kick balanced

Brett

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I have this issue that I get the kick right in the intro, then it's not right in the mix, and if it's right in the mix it's way to thumpy in the inro and breaks. Do mix engineers ride the volume on the kick to keep it right in diferant parts, or am I not compressing the kick enough?
I get it to sit better ith comp on the final mix, but I may be over doing it to fix this.

any tips !

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/15                 Date: 10-May-02  @  08:47 PM   -   RE: getting the kick balanced

Zink

Link?:  No link

The REAL Brett should know this!!!

I don't think dance producers ride the faders much during the mix, that's more for fixing accoustic volume changes.

When I do different patterns like breakdowns, sections with Breakbeats and other things, I will usually mess with velocity settings on my kick and other things to get it to sound right in context of the pattern. I sometimes use a different kick if I feel like it. It's more of a feel thing. I like to get it sounding right in the main part of a track and then work backwards.

But, as a rule of thumb, if your kick is compressed enough for the 'main' parts, then it should sound right for the rest of the mix.

Maybe overall track compression during mastering will help?? I usually put it through my Quantum, and that keeps things pretty consistant sounding.

Message 3/15                 Date: 10-May-02  @  09:27 PM   -   RE: getting the kick balanced

99devils

I use a volume envelope in Sonar.

-Craig

Message 4/15                 Date: 10-May-02  @  09:40 PM   -   RE: getting the kick balanced

influx

Link?:  Link

dunno. I make it sound right as a whole, and then it usuall sounds fine on its own

Message 5/15                 Date: 10-May-02  @  11:27 PM   -   RE: getting the kick balanced

xoxos

take a break!

Message 6/15                 Date: 11-May-02  @  05:40 AM   -   RE: getting the kick balanced

Brett

well I do need a break,

but it's more like it pumps good with the bass going , but then when the bass isn't there and it's just the kick, the kick sounds wrong. I have fixed it in the past by drawing in a volume change when all the stuff drops in, but thought their may be a better way of compressing it. I really want to hear the kick clear and at the same level when the mix is going, as when it's soloed. Overall compression seems to work. It's just somthing that happens every now and then when i am using deep bass . I think multi-band may do the job better, and choosing a diferant kick sample for the bass i am using.

anyway, messed with it and posted it up "Das Boot" the title.

Message 7/15                 Date: 11-May-02  @  06:54 AM   -   RE: getting the kick balanced

Brett

i should probably sign in when i am pluging myself. i am bound to mis-type the link.

Message 8/15                 Date: 12-May-02  @  12:34 PM   -   RE: getting the kick balanced

sitar

Link?:  Link

I think it's ok to use different kicks on the one hand or layer them. On the other hand when compared to music that is played on acoustic instruments, the players change volume appropriately for different parts. I know in dance you need to keep things pretty pumping. I enjoy compressing the drums together so that when you pull out say everything but the snare, the snare jumps up in volume like it's shining in it's solo. You know all this stuff. I guess it's a matter of choosing what's appropriate for the thing at hand.

Message 9/15                 Date: 12-May-02  @  09:55 PM   -   RE: getting the kick balanced

Mindspawn

You could:

Use a different kick for areas where you don't run the bassline.

EQ or use synthesis to fatten the kick up or boost the freqs that the bassline covered.

Just let it be... unless you need the kick to fill up the range, just let the kick sound different where it's not running against the bassline.

Just me two tacos...

Message 10/15                 Date: 13-May-02  @  04:07 PM   -   RE: getting the kick balanced

Zink

Link?:  No link

Reinforcment, Phase cancelation?

Pages: 1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum