0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Can't get my compressor to "pump"!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message 1/45                 Date: 08-May-02  @  01:39 PM   -   Can't get my compressor to

Drop

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

All the people I've seen use compressors go for that "nice" sound. I want to get my unit to pump in time with my beats like the dance pro producers do.

How I understand it is that you send the grouped drum track to the stereo compressor and compress with the desired ratio. Then I make sure I have the fastest possible attack and release settings. Then I lengthen the release time until the drums pump (suck in and out) then back it off slightly.

This is what I've been doing but can't get it to work. Any advice?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/45                 Date: 08-May-02  @  01:47 PM   -   RE: Can't get my compressor to

damballah

Link?: Link

maybe you need to desire more ratio. or lower the threshold. what compressor, btw? some are more polite, or musical, or less obvious in what they do, so you have to discipline them a bit more firmly to make them submit to your will.

Message 3/45                 Date: 08-May-02  @  02:05 PM   -   RE: Can't get my compressor to

Drop

Damballah, I've got a Focusrite Compounder.

Message 4/45                 Date: 08-May-02  @  03:08 PM   -   RE: Can't get my compressor to

k

Link?:  Link

try a longer attack & just throw out the manual...also threshold as mentioned, it has to be set actualy on the threshold so the pumping happens, there's no use having it so low the comp never recovers from compression, the idea is to make the comp continualy be switching in/out of compression with the 'pump' of the beat, so make sure the comp' indicator led-row (if you have one) is moving with the beat.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/45                 Date: 08-May-02  @  03:46 PM   -   RE: Can't get my compressor to

gb

Link?:  Link

So is this technique supposed to be used on all percussions sounds together as a group, or would it do something good for separate sounds as well ?

I'm asking because I take some of the sounds from the Tr909 out separately to individual mixer channels.

Message 6/45                 Date: 08-May-02  @  04:21 PM   -   RE: Can't get my compressor to

proximus

My experience is that i.e. house,trance,techno needs almost extreme mastering settings but then again I'm quite unexperienced  

Message 7/45                 Date: 08-May-02  @  04:59 PM   -   RE: Can't get my compressor to

Drop

Cool. So should I be setting the threshold at zero then? Roughly how much DB reduction should be showing on the meters? Anything past 6db of reduction sounds to squashed but that could just be my ears and the room.

I read in magazines that you should compress dance music drums as hard as you can just before distortion kicks in. This ain't happening for me. I have to have the attack pot really slow (2 O'clock) otherwise it just makes my kicks sound weak and thin.

Message 8/45                 Date: 08-May-02  @  05:58 PM   -   RE: Can't get my compressor to

boo_meister

I think it's really fast attack and really slow decay. Or really slow attack and really fast decay.

Can't remember offhand...

I used to use a shitty Behringer Composer compressor and that had a tendency to pump.

Actually, I think the more expensive compressors pump less, because the manufacturers think that pumping is an unwanted side effect of compression. Bastards.

If you want Bounce, try sidechaining like the other thread describes...

Message 9/45                 Date: 08-May-02  @  06:00 PM   -   RE: Can't get my compressor to

soulsurvivor

is that tecnique supposed to be used in conjunction with a side chain insert or is that something else?

Message 10/45                 Date: 08-May-02  @  06:04 PM   -   RE: Can't get my compressor to

damballah

compounder'll do it, you just gotta be a little less polite with it. that thing's made to go from the transparent sort of compression you'd use on lead vocals to squashing the shit out of it. how much db reduction you need? a whole bunch -- you want it audible. then messing with the other controls will get you pumping. the "pump" is the comp going in and out of squashed mode rhythmically.

gb, compressing 'em all individually is different than compressing them as a group and making them pump. each way has its place.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 45 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum