0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Side Chain Compressing...

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/20                 Date: 06-May-02  @  06:39 PM   -   Side Chain Compressing...

boo_meister

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I sidechain compress my Bass by sending a snare sound to trigger the bass compression as the Kick hits. It gives a nice 'bounce' to the bass, without being a cheesy kick bass kick bass offbeat thing...

Anybody else do this?? What do you think?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/20                 Date: 06-May-02  @  06:55 PM   -   RE: Side Chain Compressing...

bedwyr

Link?: Link

not sure what your doing - why are you sending a snare instead of the kick to the side-chain?

Message 3/20                 Date: 06-May-02  @  06:59 PM   -   RE: Side Chain Compressing...

boo_meister

The Snare is just a 'control' sound and isn't actually heard, I just trigger it at the same time as the kick, but it's sent to the side chain input on the compressor I use for the bassline.

I use a snare because it is a sharper sound than the Kick and seems to have a fast attack. I could use a rim or something, but a snare just seems better.

Message 4/20                 Date: 06-May-02  @  07:48 PM   -   RE: Side Chain Compressing...

j-type

Link?:  Link

I guess the net effect would be superimposing the snare envelope onto the kick, so you get the snappyness of a snare but with low freqs instead.

Message 5/20                 Date: 06-May-02  @  07:57 PM   -   RE: Side Chain Compressing...

boo_meister

The Freqs in the trigger sound don't really do an awful lot here. They don't matter. The Envelope is what matters.

Message 6/20                 Date: 06-May-02  @  10:37 PM   -   RE: Side Chain Compressing...

sitarsong

I think of sidechain as something of a vocoder although that's really not at all the case except that one sound is modifying another.

Message 7/20                 Date: 06-May-02  @  11:32 PM   -   RE: Side Chain Compressing...

bedwyr

did you just mean to say something?

Message 8/20                 Date: 06-May-02  @  11:52 PM   -   RE: Side Chain Compressing...

influx

never done it

always thought the sidechain was for using an EQ to get the compressor to hit a certain area...

Message 9/20                 Date: 07-May-02  @  12:05 AM   -   RE: Side Chain Compressing...

boo_meister

Well, try it!

I'm surprised nobody else here does it...

Message 10/20                 Date: 07-May-02  @  12:32 AM   -   RE: Side Chain Compressing...

damballah

with the eq thing, you can make a comp function as a de-esser by multing the vocal channel and using an eq into the side chain to zero in on the offending frequency. what he's talking about here almost functions like the gate trick in reverse. maybe it'd be cool to get it to make a verb pump rhythmically.

Pages: 1 2

There are 20 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum