0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Nord 2 vs Nord 3

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/14                 Date: 03-May-02  @  02:47 PM   -   Nord 2 vs Nord 3

Coal Slag

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I have heard somewhere that the Nord 2 sounds more raw than the Nord 3. I would think they sound exactly alike. Dose anyone here own both? Is it worth owning both? Do they sound that diffrent? Am I all wet?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/14                 Date: 03-May-02  @  09:46 PM   -   RE: Nord 2 vs Nord 3

99devils

Link?: Link

Different beasts altogether. You should really try to play them both if you're looking into buying one.

Nord I/II is a 2 osc synth, 1 filter, no effects, 1 FM algorithm.

Nord III is a 2 osc synth, but it includes an additional "sync" osc per main oscillator. Much more extensive FM, in fact the synth is designed as a sort of analog FM synth. A pair of filters per voice, that sound somewhat different than the filters in the older NLs. A bit more generic sounding, is how I'd classify them. It has effects.

A nord Lead II is a pure analog machine. An NL3 is more of a hybrid. Personally, I didn't care much for the NL3. I thought it lost a lot of the distinctiveness of the NL1/NL2. It's not as raw, for sure, not as cutting.

Like I said make sure you play both. I love my Nord I to death. It's a fantastic instrument, an instant classic. The NL3 didn't impress me the same way.

-Craig

Message 3/14                 Date: 06-May-02  @  10:48 PM   -   RE: Nord 2 vs Nord 3

proximus

I heard somewhere that the guy who made the soundengine of the nl1 and the 2 didn't make the soundengine of the nl3

Message 4/14                 Date: 08-May-02  @  05:56 PM   -   RE: Nord 2 vs Nord 3

coal slag

Link?:  No link

Craig Your right the filter on the Nord 3 are boring and generic they all sound the same the only filter that is good is the dist. LP. Yes I heard the same thing about the guy who worked on the NL1&2 left to work at Emu and a diffrent team put together the NL3. They are not done with the OS its at 1.4 I wonder what else they could improve on (filters?) It is dam hard to come across a NL1 these days. Maybe Ebay if im lucky?

Message 5/14                 Date: 09-May-02  @  02:39 PM   -   RE: Nord 2 vs Nord 3

99devils

Ebay has them pretty regularly. The Nord II sounds pretty much exactly like the Nord I, so that's an option too.

Nords are seriously underrated around here, but I think they are still the best sounding VA.

-Craig

Message 6/14                 Date: 09-May-02  @  09:22 PM   -   RE: Nord 2 vs Nord 3

formant

Link?:  Link

they used the same filters as the nord lead 2 and in the modular..

matter of fact the sound is very similar to a modular.

the presets are all set to do stupid fm piano crap so if thats all you listen to at the store you will be disappointed.

turn off the distortion, chorus, and only use the 1st bank of filters it will sound just like a 2.

jamey

Message 7/14                 Date: 10-May-02  @  01:10 PM   -   RE: Nord 2 vs Nord 3

proximus

I want a nord so bad... so bad .. so bad

Message 8/14                 Date: 10-May-02  @  01:15 PM   -   RE: Nord 2 vs Nord 3

proximus

I almost bought a nord rack once but I was broke.. I couldn't pay for it  

Message 9/14                 Date: 10-May-02  @  06:29 PM   -   RE: Nord 2 vs Nord 3

99devils

Jamey, that may be true.. All I really know of the NL3 is an hour's worth of play at guitar center  

-Craig

Message 10/14                 Date: 11-May-02  @  07:49 AM   -   RE: Nord 2 vs Nord 3

formant

Link?:  Link

its all opinions anyway...  

Pages: 1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum