0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: mixing for club sound systems

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/26                 Date: 29-Apr-02  @  03:57 PM   -   mixing for club sound systems

soulsurvivor

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

When mxing dance music (house/techno etc)do people usually take into account how they will sound on club sound systems or should this not be considered?

Do club sound engineers re-eq the records on the fly anyway? I've also heard that all sound systems convert into mono before being transmitted to the speakers, is this true?

The reason I ask is I'm working on quite a clubby tune at the moment (sort of funky house)and I want to make sure it sounds good in the clubs (if it got that far). However, its quite bass heavey and sounds great on my Absolute 2's but Ive heard this are naturally quite bright and so Im worried Im over compensating for this.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/26                 Date: 29-Apr-02  @  06:49 PM   -   RE: mixing for club sound systems

bedwyr

Link?: Link

some clubs are all mono, some just sum the bass into mono. the system i've played on most is in stereo. two stacks in a room that holds about 300. in there they usually eq any low rumbling resonances out by turning the mixer up full gain and tapping the decks. they probably put a smiley eq on the graphic, and generally put more top on when the place is fuller.

Message 3/26                 Date: 29-Apr-02  @  11:03 PM   -   RE: mixing for club sound systems

Brett

if it sounds good on a small system chances are it will sound good in a club too. Most well designed systems utilize some sort of crossover system that isolates bass and even subharmonically synthesizes lower frequencies to send to the subs.

If you add this extra umph in to a mix and the system is not designed for it, you can blow speakers or even just have it sound like mudd. So mixing on some nice big speakers in the studio can help, as long as you a/b them to sound good on the small system as well. I have taken bad mixes to the club and they sound great. The bigger the speaker the more forgiving it is to unballanced material.

Message 4/26                 Date: 29-Apr-02  @  11:21 PM   -   RE: mixing for club sound systems

gb

Link?:  Link

So now we're on to "what monitors for trance" again. I'm still slightly confused, even tho the last monitor thread in music tech taught me a lot.

Given that your monitors don't go all the way down to the really low frequencies... Is that where a sub-woofer comes in ? Do we want a sub to be able to hear what's actually going on down there, assuming that if we can get the mix to sound good on a pair of excellent monitors AND a sub then it will sound decent on just about any system ?

Message 5/26                 Date: 30-Apr-02  @  02:16 PM   -   RE: mixing for club sound systems

Brett

I am just saying mix on big club speakers. I have some dj monitors I use, and then I have small near feilds as well.

Message 6/26                 Date: 30-Apr-02  @  02:34 PM   -   RE: mixing for club sound systems

soulsurvivor

Bret, whats the difference between DJ monitors and studio monitors?

Message 7/26                 Date: 30-Apr-02  @  03:12 PM   -   RE: mixing for club sound systems

k

i think the biggst problem is not bass mut the high mid... people tend to over emphasise the top mid to get presense and definition to the parts at low volume , then in a club it's ear-bleedingly harsh. - I guess golden rule is keep the main groove components centered.

Message 8/26                 Date: 30-Apr-02  @  03:25 PM   -   RE: mixing for club sound systems

soulsurvivor

so you suggest going easy on the high-mids?

I've heard that the louder the system the more the lows and very high ends get emphasised and the mids get drowned out, is this not the case?

Message 9/26                 Date: 30-Apr-02  @  03:26 PM   -   RE: mixing for club sound systems

milan

DJ monitors would be just like normal stage monitors you have at a gig. the wedge shaped ones. though that usually goes only for big clubs. in smaller clubs you can run into anything from hifi bookshelf speakers to miniature monitor wedges.

Message 10/26                 Date: 30-Apr-02  @  04:15 PM     Edit: 30-Apr-02  |  06:26 PM   -   RE: mixing for club sound systems

damballah

yeah, go easy on 2.5 to 4k. some 2-bit hacks boost that range on the club system to increase "intelligebility" or some such nonsense, and you pump a bunch in for the same reason when you mix, it ends up harsh and screechy. yech.

one thing I've found about playing the stuff in clubs is that the system has enough bass. you don't gotta dump a ton of bass in there make up for any deficiencies. if you do, then it gets boomy and robs the mids of their energy. if your mix is nice and balanced, through a big system it should sound massive.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 26 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum