0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Mackie alternatives

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/24                 Date: 29-Mar-02  @  12:38 AM   -   Mackie alternatives

k

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

what say you ?- me mate Lee has been somewhat pissed off by mackies recent price INCREASE on their 24/8 - he was all set to buy one then they rammed the rpice by about 500 quid! - he's still prepared to go for it, but.... alternatives?

I suggested the GHOST - what say you?...

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/24                 Date: 29-Mar-02  @  03:20 AM   -   RE: Mackie alternatives

formant

Link?:  Link

i say that people can't give away the yamaha o1vs in america right now....

they are going for $800-900 all day long used over here (thats mixer, automation, recall, 2 efx units, compressors / eq every channel etc)

jamey

Message 3/24                 Date: 29-Mar-02  @  05:28 AM   -   RE: Mackie alternatives

damballah

Link?: Link

oh poo! different beasts for different purposes.

he need an 8-bus?

Message 4/24                 Date: 29-Mar-02  @  07:29 AM   -   RE: Mackie alternatives

Brett B

Link?:  No link

it's the competition. The new Behringers are only $1600us retail and it's 24bit. The DM24 from tascam can be had for under $2 if you look really hard. I was going to sell my o1v and get a DM24, but for the $600 loss from last year, I decided to keep even if I get another mixer. The o1v is rock solid, but the dynamics take a little getting used to and are kind of stale and hard. The soft knee is very week and pumps to easy, but great for live purposes.

Message 5/24                 Date: 29-Mar-02  @  11:02 AM   -   RE: Mackie alternatives

milan

iŽd second the Ghost, you get stuff like midi mute automation and few other bits and bobs you wont find on the mackie. havent used many analogs in that range, at least not current ones.

and the Ghost looks nicer  

Message 6/24                 Date: 29-Mar-02  @  12:33 PM   -   RE: Mackie alternatives

Pongoid

I've used a Ghost a bit, and the sound is different than the Mackie, very tightly European, but not bad at all, and yes some of the MIDI automation, even if it isn't flying faders is
still nice. Very light feel in the ones I've used, though, like the contacts were not all that solid, and the faders seemed highly vulnerable to dust and smoke. In other words, it seemed a lot more fragile than a mackie, and probably would not last nearly as long under the same conditions, so you'd have to really baby it. I've never seen a Ghost ten years old, and still working, if that says anything. Mackies and tapcos from longer than that still work, and Mackie had and probably still has their repair policy, which is killer. My buddy had his 1402 sent back, and the deal was $100 cleans and fixes anything, even if it means essentially replacing the entire mixer, which it rarely does. Dunno what it would be for a 24/8 but probably not too much more for a total refurb later. SoundCraft didn't have any policy like that when I was selling them. How many times do you want to pay for a mixer?

Ape

Message 7/24                 Date: 29-Mar-02  @  02:54 PM   -   RE: Mackie alternatives

Defector Z

Ape - can you define "very tightly European" please? Thanks.

Message 8/24                 Date: 29-Mar-02  @  06:40 PM   -   RE: Mackie alternatives

Brett B

Link?:  No link

I had the same question! I can only think it meant not as warm but sharper sounding, but I am guessing here.

Message 9/24                 Date: 29-Mar-02  @  07:04 PM   -   RE: Mackie alternatives

influx

mackie repair policy? bah!

Message 10/24                 Date: 29-Mar-02  @  11:17 PM   -   RE: Mackie alternatives

Pongoid

flux, my friends have had good results getting their boards fixed on the rare occasions that they needed it done.

British eq's seem to have a sharper curve, db/octave wise, and a little bit different placement in the bands. American boards in general have a warmer, more rounded sounding EQ. I good way to illustrate it is by putting the sound of an 808 kick drum with the decay all the way up, and the tune at about halfway, and volume on the orange DOT, accent all the way up. Classic sound, you can find the approximate sample anywhere. Put that though the board flat, and then play with it. DAT, MD, or CD, all of them will give you a close enough sound if you're A/B'ing the EQs. You'll hear the diffence the first time you bring up the bass. It's very reminiscent of the general preference in posteriors in women when comparing European and American. This does not go for all, I assure you, BUT I more often than not find that guys in the states like them a little more soft and rounded, and the Western Europeans like them a bit smaller and firmer. I hope that this clarifies things a bit. Other than this, it's just words, and only your ears will truly explain the difference.

Ape

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum