0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Getting that shimmering room sound

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11                 Date: 24-Mar-02  @  05:17 PM   -   Getting that shimmering room sound

Brett B

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

So i have finally gotten that shimmering sound on my synth and strings, but I can't get it on the drums without that horible "coosh coosh" in the mid. I tried high pass filtering the the reverb but I lose the shimmer. I am looking for the type of reverb on Hybrid's Tracks, where evcerything has a little, yet sounds clean. Any suggestions on room size , decay, er, eq and dynamics for various drums would help. Oh, and I don't have the money for a 480l.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/11                 Date: 24-Mar-02  @  06:32 PM   -   RE: Getting that shimmering room sound

nothingnewhere

Link?: Link

parametric eq.

Message 3/11                 Date: 24-Mar-02  @  09:13 PM   -   RE: Getting that shimmering room sound

influx

damn brett, I think you spend WAY too much time emulating hybrid!

not meant as a cut, but so many of your posts have "HYBRID" in them!

Message 4/11                 Date: 24-Mar-02  @  09:17 PM   -   RE: Getting that shimmering room sound

bedwyr

i think he likes them. their studio's not too far away from here, maybe i could sneak in and steal their reverb secrets. or kill them AND steal their reverb secrets.

Message 5/11                 Date: 24-Mar-02  @  09:31 PM   -   RE: Getting that shimmering room sound

influx

hell, steal their gear, too!

I like other artists, but Im not posting here and there with reference to them all the time

honestly Brett, no cut intended, but you seem too fixated on hybrid.

Message 6/11                 Date: 25-Mar-02  @  06:33 AM   -   RE: Getting that shimmering room sound

Brett B

When i heard them , they had the sound i was trying to do. Mixture of sound track type atmoshere and symphony strings, slamming breaks and bass diced up in ways I never thought were possible. Their sound production is so far beyong anything else I have Heard. No offense to anyone else. I think listening to Q has been extreamly influential on me as well. I was dj'ing all the time when "Botz" was released in 95. I started buying gear after I heard that and a few others.
If you have a goal for yourself , then you should set the standard at which you are trying to produce. They use tritons with the moss card and they resample a lot of stuff through external gear like amps and tubes etc. I use them as an example because this is the referance I was using when i posted this. I don't want the reverb of anything else. reverb is diferant on everything. They have a certain brightness and shimmer to there tracks, It's thin and soft on top with lots of air, and the bass is puchy and deep. All the drums are crisp and clear. It has a lot to do with the triton. Those things are bright. 48khz samples and the reverbs on it are great. I don't have money for a triton or expensive reverbs and just wanted to add the air and shimmer to my tracks. I am , learning as I go right now. So no offense taken, but you really shouldn't concern yourself with the motivations and creative goals of others.

I asked a simple technical question with the referance I was using, I don't really need the psyco-analytical stuff! Thanks for the info on the eq. I made some headway today by using two 2band eq's in a chain in Reason.

Message 7/11                 Date: 25-Mar-02  @  08:53 AM   -   RE: Getting that shimmering room sound

bedwyr

Link?:  Link

so, shall i kill them or not?

the timeworks plugin reverb is modelled on the 480L, apparently.

Message 8/11                 Date: 25-Mar-02  @  08:59 AM   -   RE: Getting that shimmering room sound

influx

no, youre right. I shouldnt concern myself with you.

maybe you should email hybrid with some "what synth/reverb/drum machine" for sissy trance/breaks?

!

Message 9/11                 Date: 25-Mar-02  @  11:00 AM   -   RE: Getting that shimmering room sound

Brett B

yes, I have that plug-in, and it's quite good. I am working in reason, and I just didn't have the settings and eq down. It was a lack of skill. But I spent the last 24 hours working on the mix and fx. It sounds damn good now. I got what I was after by using a large room with the damp up and the decay down and then highpassed it. Then I compressed it and sent each group to it soloed to get the level right for each part. I just brought it up underneath until I got the bright room effect on the whole mix.

Message 10/11                 Date: 25-Mar-02  @  11:34 AM   -   RE: Getting that shimmering room sound

bedwyr

Link?:  Link

oh good. just give me the word and i'll make the necessary arrangments.

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum