0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Calling all vocal experts

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/13                 Date: 13-Mar-02  @  10:03 PM   -   Calling all vocal experts

Brett B

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Just got my first decent vocal mic. I have never recorded them, but have some ideas about what I need to do. I am using the pre-s on my o1v because I can't afford a tube front end yet. So , I have been playing with the channels eq, comp, and master gate to get what I wanted. I am using a 10:1 with lots of gain and have gotten that Radio voice kind of sound, but my sister is coming in and she sounds in tone, like Sarah McGlachlan. i want open airy soft vocals without the sibiliant. I have a studio projects c1 w/pop filter and shock mount. I was thinking of using the Hall outside the studio room. which has a little nook in it that has a nice open reverb sound without the midrange slapback. I just walked around claping until I found a space that had no resonance and the clap sounded natural and clear. Any suggestions on finding the right space, and dynamics would help.

I also am going to be doing some deeper a couple of hip hop vocalist and rappers. So eq, and dynamics for the lower and more solid stuff will be needed. Thanks, Brett

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/13                 Date: 14-Mar-02  @  04:33 PM   -   RE: Calling all vocal experts

Brett B

Link?: Link

So you mean to tell me that no one knows anything about vocal dynamics processing for recording?

Message 3/13                 Date: 14-Mar-02  @  05:24 PM   -   RE: Calling all vocal experts

bedwyr

why are you compressing so much whilst recording? i use just a little and add more later. and using natural verb is a bit funny coz it might not fit the track and you can't take it off. air? 3 or 4 db high shelf, tweak until you find a frequency you like. roll off the bottom end too, you can go quite high with a highpass, tho it depends what sort of style you're doing. i don't know about the c1 but my ntk doesn't really need any eq. unless it's for effect.

hip hop? again really depends on what you want, but i'd say any crappy old mic will do, the worse the better. that's if you like it ruff. but if you want a deep male radio dj thing use a parametric and boost around the bottom between 60 and 150 with a middleish q, again sweep until you find 'that' frequency. and loads of compression.

Message 4/13                 Date: 14-Mar-02  @  05:45 PM   -   RE: Calling all vocal experts

bedwyr

of course, i don't know shit.

Message 5/13                 Date: 14-Mar-02  @  06:31 PM   -   RE: Calling all vocal experts

damballah

straight wire with gain, man. I know these "voice processors" and "channel strips" are popular now and you can eq, de-ess and compress the shit out of the vocals and it can be really tempting to do. if you've got a mike that's suited to the voice you're recording, you don't need the eq. if you position the mike properly and use a pop filter, you might not need to de-ess. and if the vocalist has good technique, you can dispense with the comp, although a touch of compression can help you from ruining "the take" with overs. get a good, dry, natural sounding recording and you can go to town processing and effecting it during mixdown. fuck it up and there's not a lot you can do later but record it again.

Message 6/13                 Date: 14-Mar-02  @  06:32 PM   -   RE: Calling all vocal experts

damballah

for the hip hop vox, try a 57 with a popper stopper and let 'em scream

Message 7/13                 Date: 14-Mar-02  @  08:35 PM   -   RE: Calling all vocal experts

k

Link?:  Link

yes I'd agree 10:1 is pretty steep, but if the vocalist has no mic technique.... a

A homemade pop sheild will help to alleviate the need for controlling 'explosives' & sibilance - you want to do that because explosives cause the comp to pump more of course... I personaly go for some light compression on vocal tracking that's it because compressors can make bg noise WORSE of course at high settings.
However with digital and plenty of headroom mebe use some limiting to stop overloads only and compress on mixdown to taste??

I'd go for a dryer soundmyself because your hall might sound good in isolation to you, but once in place in a mix the natural verb on the vocal might clash with sitting the vocal right.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/13                 Date: 14-Mar-02  @  09:11 PM   -   RE: Calling all vocal experts

99devils

I think it's impossible to track vocals without a pop screen. Best $25 I've ever spent, although panty hose and a coat hanger works just as well.

I never compress vocals on the way in. In the mix, I often use the Waves RCL at about 2.5:1, just to even things out a bit.

-Craig

Message 9/13                 Date: 14-Mar-02  @  10:11 PM   -   RE: Calling all vocal experts

bedwyr

the waves r.vox thing works very well too.

Message 10/13                 Date: 14-Mar-02  @  10:26 PM   -   RE: Calling all vocal experts

Brett B

Link?:  No link

The C1 comes with a classic style shock mount, a pop filter and anvil case. It's a Chinese U87 knock off made by 797. It has been put through the wringer by many reviews all saying it's a great mic for vocals. Almost all who used it said it had the air eq'ed in already and none was needed. When a side by side with U87 was done, on vocals it helds it's ground perfectly, but on higher spl stuff like jungling car keys it has some shortcomings next to the original. But I am only recording vocals with it. And For $229 with case, and pop filter, and a nice shock mount, you can't find a transformerless large condenser that I would have bought instead. It really is beutiful looking and sounds great.

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum