0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: eastern scales

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/32                 Date: 05-Mar-02  @  06:06 AM   -   eastern scales

Brett B

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

i posted this up a while back and didn't really get much help. I love Indian music and have read about 7 tone scales and eastern modal scales. How do i take a song done in C and transpose it to this style I am just using c for simplicity. Coletrane played some crazy eastern modal scales . First what is a modal scale, and how do I determine one for a specific Key I am in, and secondly do it in an eastern way. I am familiar with the 8 basic Maj and Min scales C-B.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/32                 Date: 05-Mar-02  @  08:09 AM   -   RE: eastern scales

bedwyr

i just did a search on google for music scales, and there is a wealth of information out there.

basically, and this is probably not a 'proper' definition, but you get the modal scales by playing the notes of say cmajor but starting on different notes, d for dorian which is used a lot in jazz, e for phrygian, which sounds a bit spanish.

modes are generally concerned with melody, it's how ppl wrote tunes way before they started thinking about harmony. bear in mind that there are some non-western scales that don't use the same notes as your keyboard, but some notes in between. some synths/romplers will let you use non-western tunings.

Message 3/32                 Date: 05-Mar-02  @  05:23 PM   -   RE: eastern scales

damballah

oh, sitar could tell you, but you went and insulted him, didn't ya. orbital orbital orbital.

Message 4/32                 Date: 05-Mar-02  @  05:39 PM   -   RE: eastern scales

damballah

some of the info in the "what makes goa goa" thread which I pulled up.

Message 5/32                 Date: 06-Mar-02  @  11:08 PM   -   RE: eastern scales

Brett B

Link?:  No link

I insulted Sitar??? I think it was the other way around.. Orbital , Orbital , Orbital....Lemming or somthin.

I do do that already I think. Aolian or likes. Can't remember how to spell those scales. I use a scale but change the tonic and just use the same notes from that scale with a diferant root. Is that what you mean?
Thank everyone, including Sitar for making me laugh.

Message 6/32                 Date: 06-Mar-02  @  11:25 PM   -   RE: eastern scales

Brett B

yes Siter's expertise on Indian music would be great!
can't remember who insulted who or where, but
Orbital has been getting thrown around alot. LOL

Message 7/32                 Date: 07-Mar-02  @  12:19 AM   -   RE: eastern scales

bedwyr

here's an example of modes. think in c major. play these notes e f g a g f e d e.

all with the same length (1 beat each or crotchets) around 100 bpm i'm guessing. maybe a little slower, with feeling this time, ok? ;)

all these notes are in the scale of c major but does it hell sound like c major. that's because it's in a modal scale. they're the first notes from 'concerto de aranjuez' by rodriguez or 'sketches of spain' by miles davis. go listen to them. and listen to the 'kind of blue' album by miles davis.

you can download 'so what' by that album from kazaa. just two modal 'keys' up and down. beautifull. 'maiden voyage' is another.

Message 8/32                 Date: 07-Mar-02  @  05:45 PM   -   RE: eastern scales

knowa

Link?:  Link

yeah, I'm not sure I really understand it technically, but tunes like 'so what' leave so much room for the soloist, as if more of the 12 notes fit as long as you play them right. god, that half step modulation is so ill and simple.

brett, I'm not interested in being your little online enemy or anything, so in the spirit of civility I urge you to check out Miles' "In a Silent Way", perhaps *the* clearest example of a 'modal sound' I can think of.

Message 9/32                 Date: 07-Mar-02  @  07:30 PM   -   RE: eastern scales

damballah

that's one nice record. yep. cut and pasted together with a razor blade and splicing tape, too. old school pro tools.

if you feel like some reading, there's a Jazz Improvisation Primer online that can 'splain some of these modal concepts at ya. but the indian thing, as sitar explained in that "goa goa" thread, is not just a particular series of flatted this or that notes but that you slide from one note to another. maybe I'm oversimplifying here though. sue me.

Message 10/32                 Date: 08-Mar-02  @  01:02 PM   -   RE: eastern scales

Deano

I don't know if its still there on new versions of Cubase but on my Atari version there is a thing called the Interactive Phrase Synthesizer. It's like an arpeggiator but you copy a musical phrase into it and then you can change the mode/type of scale. It doesn't help much with the theory but its a quick way to listen to a melody played in lots of different modes. It doesn't do quarter tones though. You will have to mess with the pitch bend for that.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 32 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum