0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: crack-crack-crack (no rock)

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/17                 Date: 17-Feb-02  @  01:33 PM   -   crack-crack-crack (no rock)

Maarten

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Got a new lappy and a new compressor for the overall mix and upon my first recording :

Couldn't get the grunge out of the low-end in the recording at all so decided to bring some of the drums back and bypass the compressor(much to my disappointment)... it's wierd though- when I recorded the first time it all sounded damn good over the phones but upon playback it was "crack-crack" and I do mean coming out of my soundcard / headphones. You'd think you would hear the same during playback as that you did during recording.... any advise on this?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/17                 Date: 18-Feb-02  @  02:57 AM   -   RE: crack-crack-crack (no rock)

Brett B

Link?:  No link

you may be clipping the recording. It may sound fine as you monitor, but if you go over the zero threshold in digital domains, you get unpleasant distorion. use a hard knee on the compressor and don't clip the input.

Message 3/17                 Date: 18-Feb-02  @  03:29 AM   -   RE: crack-crack-crack (no rock)

influx

Link?:  Link

well, also..are you just recording into the laptop factory soundcard?

that could be the problem, too

Message 4/17                 Date: 18-Feb-02  @  08:33 AM   -   RE: crack-crack-crack (no rock)

Maarten

I'm staying well under the 0 threshold and tried so much that I think Influx might be right... think I'll re-record an older track that had all the right settings to test this.

Thanks for the thoughts,

-M-

Message 5/17                 Date: 18-Feb-02  @  12:18 PM   -   RE: crack-crack-crack (no rock)

steve

sure you`re not monitoring through the soundcard whilst recording?

Message 6/17                 Date: 18-Feb-02  @  01:27 PM   -   RE: crack-crack-crack (no rock)

Maarten

I am monitoring through the soundcard and closely watching the meter in SoundForge... What would be best, laptop soundcard, mixer or compressor... always assumed the end of the signal would be best, always worked out too. (?)

Message 7/17                 Date: 18-Feb-02  @  02:54 PM   -   RE: crack-crack-crack (no rock)

Frostbyte

"You'd think you would hear the same during playback as that you did during recording...."

yeah, you'd think that, but apparently it's not the case. I have the same problem (exept you can make really bangin'tracks  

I'm set Asio direct monitoring: tape type. This to mimick the "engineer behind his thick glass giving the evil eye to the band"

not working

I was told it's most likely a room problem and was suggested to move stuff around and find the ideal monitors placement that wouldn't emphasis certain frequencies.

Move stuff around? .... AAARRRGGGHHH

That's when you wish you only had a bowling ball and a burrito, maybe the occasional shoe string

Message 8/17                 Date: 18-Feb-02  @  11:05 PM   -   RE: crack-crack-crack (no rock)

Maarten

uhh huh, your room is probably very similar to mine : I consider myself lucky when everything is still in place after I navigate my knees when turning for a different knob  

Message 9/17                 Date: 19-Feb-02  @  03:10 AM   -   RE: crack-crack-crack (no rock)

Brett B

you need an egosys wamirack-laptop version!

Message 10/17                 Date: 19-Feb-02  @  05:11 AM   -   RE: crack-crack-crack (no rock)

influx

need
hehe.

Pages: 1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum