0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: Live techniques?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7

Original Message 1/65                 Date: 20-Jan-02  @  09:36 AM   -   Live techniques?

Pongoid

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I was just wondering how each of you approaches live performance. There's a lot of different ways to play to a crowd, and although I've tried a bunch of different methods myself, I'm always curious to see how others are doing it, and what we can learn from each others' methods.

Ape

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/65                 Date: 20-Jan-02  @  12:27 PM   -   RE: Live techniques?

bedwyr

i just smile at the girls. you got to the the eye contact thing, none of this shoe-gazing indie nonsense.  

and i'm in bath on friday (dunno where) with some band, then with www.thescooters.com in barfly cardiff on sunday.

Message 3/65                 Date: 20-Jan-02  @  02:18 PM   -   RE: Live techniques?

Pongoid

Cute. Sadly, it says nothing of the techniques you use to make your music in a live setting. Come on.  

Ape

Message 4/65                 Date: 20-Jan-02  @  03:10 PM     Edit: 20-Jan-02  |  06:18 PM   -   RE: Live techniques?

bedwyr

nah, i'm sax player so i just blow my own horn, innit.

[edit] how do you mean then? i've only played with 'live' bands, no sequencing, u know?

so what do you mean, like building sets? one thing that's no good is long gaps between numbers no matter what style. BUT then again if you make it look like you've got a set 'set' order and just do it too 'slick', ie the gaps are too short, then audience ppl (over here anyway) tend too feel they've got no space for their input, which counts 4 a lot. you've got to include the audience, it's not like dj'ing with records for 2 hours.

Message 5/65                 Date: 22-Jan-02  @  07:47 AM   -   RE: Live techniques?

Pongoid

I was referring more to live electronic sets.

Ape

Message 6/65                 Date: 22-Jan-02  @  12:52 PM   -   RE: Live techniques?

Maarten

Unfortunately I'm not there yet, would love to though in the future... Imagine mainly running sequences from my MPC muting here and there, playing some simple notes in between (just to get the idea for myself that I'm not just playing back something) and tweeking some knobs.

But since you ask, why don't you describe some of your techniques... only seems fair and might be interesting to read.

-M-

Message 7/65                 Date: 27-Jan-02  @  09:05 PM   -   RE: Live techniques?

Pongoid

Soon enough, but I can't believe that there's nobody else willing to talk about how they do it.

Ape

Message 8/65                 Date: 27-Jan-02  @  11:44 PM   -   RE: Live techniques?

bedwyr

oh jesus, just type it in. 'nobody else' is willing? who is the person that is then?

Message 9/65                 Date: 28-Jan-02  @  09:54 PM   -   RE: Live techniques?

roshi

I'm going to add some content to this thread even if no one else is...

My friend and I do a mixture of improvising and using programmed bits...we have songs, but inbetween them we do little segues and transitions.

For drums we use two Korg ES-1's synced up with my old MMT8. For live tweakability they are dope...you can change patterns on the fly and tweak fx, all that in realtime. Most of our songs we each have patterns that we contribute and most of the synth stuff is done live, though the MMT8 will do a bassline if one of us is particularly busy with drum stuff...It's a pretty flexible setup for us, especially if one of us wants to spin some different stuff in...

If anyone's interested, you can check out an mp3 of us doing a live track at:

http://www.xoxmag.com/audio/subliminalman.mp3

Roshi

Message 10/65                 Date: 29-Jan-02  @  11:17 AM   -   RE: Live techniques?

Maarten

Nice, a shame though that there appears to be little to no change throughout the 8+ minutes... could be some slight, subtle things though, I'm at work and on minimal volume.

-M-

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7

There are 65 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum