0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Record in stereo

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12                 Date: 11-Dec-01  @  04:21 PM   -   Record in stereo

AK

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Yes, I am a total newbie when it comes to recording and how to use a mixer. Now...

What I have is a Behringer MX 802A mixer, a guitar w/ a Line6 POD (amp simulator), a drum machine, a bass module and a soundcard with only one input.

After I have made a drum and a bass part in Cakewalk, I want to record the guitar part. To do that, I need to hear the drum and the bass while playing, but I only want the guitar to be recorded. There are both control room and main outs on the mixer (as well as a headphones out which, I think, is the same as the ctrl room out), but I haven't found a way to "isolate" the guitar channels and only send them through the main outs but still be able to monitor all channels.

The only way I have found to do what I want is to plug the guitar into the pod into two channels on the mixer, and go from one of the AUX sends to the line in on my soundcard. This seems a bit backwards to me though, and it's impossible to record in stereo that way, which is what I want to do. I would also prefer to plug the guitar straight into the mixer, and put the pod between the AUX send and the AUX return, but that's a minor issue since it's just a matter of swapping a few cables when I want to record.

If anyone has used the MX 802 or know how it works, and have any tips on how to record just a few of the channels while still being able to monitor all channels, please let me know! Right now I go from the POD to two mono channels on the mixer, but I could of course use a stereo channel instead, if it makes any difference.

Thanks!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/12                 Date: 11-Dec-01  @  05:13 PM   -   RE: Record in stereo

knowa

Link?:  Link

guitar to POD to soundcard. you can monitor through the mixer, but bypass the mixer for the guitar. you might hear a bit of latency on the guitar, though, as it has to get recorded and then spit back out of the soundcard. there are various solutions, but I only know them for my own set-up.

If your mixer has 'inserts' on any channels, you can use them as isolated channel sends, that way, you won't even hear any latency on the guitar, as it will be passing through the mixer before being recorded by the computer. on my little mackie, only the mono channels have inserts.

don't put the mixer between your guitar and the POD--you'll lose osme of the realism of the amp emulation. be sure to try running other things through the POD--it's a real cool box.

Message 3/12                 Date: 11-Dec-01  @  09:04 PM   -   RE: Record in stereo

99devils

Link?: Link

Yeah, definately the POD is a great tool. It makes guitars easy as shit to record, and saves me from being lynched by my neighbors  

The only other alternative for you is to run the pod into two seperate mono channels on the board, and send one channel out one aux and the other out of the second.. Connecting both auxes to your sound card.

The last thing I wanted to bring up is that just because you can record guitars in stereo doesn't mean you always should.. In many circumstances you can get a big ugly mess when applying effects, or even just having the guitar's sonic footprint being too big in your mix - especially if you're overdubbing guitars. Usually I record all takes through the pod in stereo and then throw out one side, or mix them down to mono if necessary.

-Craig

Message 4/12                 Date: 12-Dec-01  @  12:25 AM   -   RE: Record in stereo

milan

hmmm...expanding on Craigs idea here: maybe plug the guitar in on two channels on the mixer, and then send one to the soundcard, while monitoring over the other one?

Message 5/12                 Date: 12-Dec-01  @  12:53 AM   -   RE: Record in stereo

AK

Link?:  No link

I guess I could go through the soundcard and then to the mixer, like knowa said... Funny that I didn't think of that  

"don't put the mixer between your guitar and the POD--you'll lose osme of the realism of the amp emulation. be sure to try running other things through the POD--it's a real cool box."

That's why I wanted to put it between the aux send/return - so I can run my drums or bass through the pod just by turning a knob.

Most of the effects in the pod are stereo, that's why I also need to be able to record in stereo. The chorus sounds pretty dull in mono...

Message 6/12                 Date: 13-Dec-01  @  03:25 PM   -   RE: Record in stereo

99devils

Those effects are shit anyways compared to what you can do once you've recorded the sound though.. Personally, I hate the flanger, chorus, etc in that thing. I only use the compressor when recording bass or really distorted guitars (like with the Rectifier model), and occasionally the delay, but not usually. 99 times out of 100 I record the thing dry and add the FX later.

-Craig

Message 7/12                 Date: 13-Dec-01  @  08:02 PM   -   RE: Record in stereo

knowa

straight up--you're gonna regret recording with those POD efx once you compare them to some plug-ins. Except compression on bass gutar, because you need at least a little bit before recording. I love POD on drums, and the only thing I don't like about Battery is that I rarely POD my drums anymore.

Message 8/12                 Date: 13-Dec-01  @  09:57 PM   -   RE: Record in stereo

damballah

the only thing is that if I'm playing through a phase shifter or sumpin like dat, my playing will change to work with the effect. but I got a J-Station, not a Pod, and some old stompboxes to put between it and the guitar. yeehaw.

Message 9/12                 Date: 14-Dec-01  @  02:41 PM   -   RE: Record in stereo

99devils

Yeah, If I'm doing a flanged lead riff or something where I would like to "play into" the effect I'll break out the old Boss pedals. And besides, the purple Boss flanger SMOKES that shitty flanger in the POD..

-Craig

Message 10/12                 Date: 14-Dec-01  @  03:40 PM   -   RE: Record in stereo

knowa

theres a maroon-colored Boss analog delay pedal that sounds so goddamn good--if you ever see it, damballah--my dad wants a POD type thing. How's the J-station?

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum