0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Compression & Volume Envelopes

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11                 Date: 07-Dec-01  @  05:17 PM   -   Compression & Volume Envelopes

Matt Hutch

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to hear some thoughts on the use of compression vs. the use of volume envelopes on individual drum hits.

For instance, take the Battery s/w drum box, it has a volume envelope that you can use to shape the attack and release of a drum. On the other hand a compressor also has an attack and release time that controls the volume of a drum.

My question is, are there advantages to using a compressor over an amplitude envelope on individual drum hits?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/11                 Date: 07-Dec-01  @  06:51 PM     Edit: 07-Dec-01  |  06:52 PM   -   RE: Compression & Volume Envelopes

bedwyr

Link?: Link

depending on the compressor, a compressor will add certain other flavours to your sound - phatness and other adjectives. some compressors are designed not to color the sound of stuff you put through them, others are. this applies to software compressors as well as hardware.

not sure about battery, but with a compressor, attack is the time it takes for the compressor to work (ie how much of the attack of the sound to let through before reducing the level), whilst with an envelope, attack is more of a fade in/or not at the start of the sound.

haveing said that, some synths (my a3k sampler for one) allow the envelope attack to be used more like a compressor, 'holding' the level of a sound for a few ms, before going down to the sustain level.

Message 3/11                 Date: 07-Dec-01  @  07:10 PM   -   RE: Compression & Volume Envelopes

Matt Hutch

Link?:  No link

bedwyr, thanks for the reply.

I see, so compression can be used to add flavor to the sound in addition to managing the dynamics. Interesting. So, compressing the drums will tighten them up and perhaps tweaking the make-up gain to clip a lib bit can add some color.

Much appreciated, can't wait to try this out.

Message 4/11                 Date: 07-Dec-01  @  08:13 PM   -   RE: Compression & Volume Envelopes

bedwyr

clipping can add some colour, but there's things about the way different compressors work, that make them affect the sound in different ways. an opto compressor will sound different to an electro one. i'll post some more info in a bit.

Message 5/11                 Date: 07-Dec-01  @  08:34 PM     Edit: 07-Dec-01  |  08:35 PM   -   RE: Compression & Volume Envelopes

influx

Link?:  Link

two entirely different things...

a compressor will tame the peaks of the sound, and can dramatically alter the feel of a specific sound, or loop, etc...

I dont think youre gonna get the results youre lookin for clipping a digital compressor. it wont sound good believe me.

bedwyr...opto vs "ELECTRO"? hehe. There are comps designed for electro beats?

I think he meant VCA. An opto compressor actually uses a light circuit to detect the sound, so the character is a bit different...

Message 6/11                 Date: 07-Dec-01  @  08:34 PM     Edit: 07-Dec-01  |  08:35 PM   -   RE: Compression & Volume Envelopes

influx

oops double post. Gotta love that edit feature!!

Message 7/11                 Date: 07-Dec-01  @  08:57 PM   -   RE: Compression & Volume Envelopes

bedwyr

heh heh electro, yeah, vca.

unnnggghh!

waves rcl vst talk innit.

Message 8/11                 Date: 07-Dec-01  @  10:59 PM   -   RE: Compression & Volume Envelopes

xoxos

heh 'tighten up those beats..' i swear whoever writes those blurbs to make you buy gear is casting spells..

afa i see it, the major difference using a compressor would be that the 'envelope' is going to derive from the sequence.. so if you do a load of drums really fast and the release doesn't have time to let up, your beat's going to have more of a 'continuity' in that they'lll fi/fo as a unified whole.. 'tighten up those beats..'

having said that, i bought a 266xl believing it would make drums good to hear.. er.. i mean phat. it's probably my cohice of compressor (i'll trade it for a rnc and $75   (or a tasty sandwich) seems to make all sounds yucky and dull. it's noisy too. other people seem to love even cheap compressors toh so go fish. i think they're stupid and for idiots.

Message 9/11                 Date: 08-Dec-01  @  12:26 AM   -   RE: Compression & Volume Envelopes

bedwyr

'tighten up those beats..' it is a load of cack/semantics isn't it? tight to me means 'in time'

"so if you do a load of drums really fast and the release doesn't have time to let up, your beat's going to have more of a 'continuity' "

and if you set the release so that it has 'just' enough time to let up then you get the 'pumping' adjective that also sells compressors.

don't buy a behringer anyway, they're cock.

Message 10/11                 Date: 08-Dec-01  @  03:05 AM   -   RE: Compression & Volume Envelopes

k

tsk no no mate.. the release time of the comp combined with the attack & ratio etc can make a massive difference to the feel of the beat.. you can even get a reverse type fade-in clap with a compressor after each clap sounds. or pumping hats which pump too-and-fro, snares which pump with two beats etc.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum