0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: processing indiv. tracks offline

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/14                 Date: 23-Nov-01  @  06:28 PM   -   processing indiv. tracks offline

Ghost

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

hey all.....

sometimes I'll open up individual tracks in my wave editor to reduce noise or do some roll-off, but I usually leave compression to when I'm mixing all my tracks together in VST....

is there any problem with doing compression (like, for punchiness of drum tracks) offline, or is there a need to adjust the compression of indiv. tracks while listening to the whole mix?

I'm trying to save my CPU for more fun stuff.....

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/14                 Date: 26-Nov-01  @  06:07 PM   -   RE: processing indiv. tracks offline

Dunlap

if it sounds good, it sounds good....
no offense, it's just kind of a dumb question...

Message 3/14                 Date: 26-Nov-01  @  06:07 PM   -   RE: processing indiv. tracks offline

Ghost

thanks!!

;)

Message 4/14                 Date: 26-Nov-01  @  08:04 PM   -   RE: processing indiv. tracks offline

k

Link?:  Link

or make a backup song/file save to a different folder as a backup in case.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/14                 Date: 26-Nov-01  @  08:07 PM   -   RE: processing indiv. tracks offline

knowa

why don't you adjust the compressor to sound good in the mix, then export/re-import the compressed audio? I'm no compression guru, but I can tell you one thing.

Message 6/14                 Date: 26-Nov-01  @  08:44 PM   -   RE: processing indiv. tracks offline

Ghost

thanks k and knowa, that's the direction I'm going....

I was been thinking that my compression settings would come out different if I was listening to the track alone.... knowa, your suggestion about just copying the settings from listening to the mix is a good one....

one time I tried compressing each track individually (to punch up all the levels) without checking the full mix in between the processing... when I was done, the full mix hit me in the face. it was so upfront and very tiring to listen to, because everything was so max'ed out...

I just gotta take my time and not be so heavy-handed about it....

I ate so much at Thanksgiving I Dunlap'ed over my beltline......

can I get a sponge on a stick, please?

Message 7/14                 Date: 27-Nov-01  @  12:09 AM   -   RE: processing indiv. tracks offline

influx

cant you just get it sounding good in the mix and then print it that way? I dont get it

but...for something to sound all good on its own is one thing, and in the mix is another...

things like compression etc are mix dependent I think.

Message 8/14                 Date: 27-Nov-01  @  05:54 PM   -   RE: processing indiv. tracks offline

Ghost

yeah I can do that..... it's just that I want to use my limited CPU power for delays and other cool insert FX on other tracks...

so, I've been looking for ways to do some of my processing (like compressing and roll-off EQ) offline.....

of course, I could process each track from within Cubase - making a "mixdown" of one track with the compression that I like, and then just use that.... hmmm... maybe I'll do that. less switching around....

I'm still putt-putting along with a PII.... ugh

Message 9/14                 Date: 27-Nov-01  @  09:36 PM   -   RE: processing indiv. tracks offline

knowa

yo--the thing to do is create a folder track of "sources". then, after you export the efx'ed audio, you can always call up the original, unprocessed file and efx setting (turn the plug-in off, but keep it loaded so you can retrieve the settings). just mute the 'source' folder track and play the processed sounds and open the folder and tinker if you want to change anything. I have a faster computer but I still do this all the time. It's not hard. I do look forward to the day when I won't have to, but that'll probably be a G6, so until then, just get used to exporting everything and you'll save your precious CPU cycles for Karlette.

Message 10/14                 Date: 27-Nov-01  @  09:40 PM   -   RE: processing indiv. tracks offline

influx

folder tracks are cool 

Pages: 1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum