0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: bit of a diddle

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/13                 Date: 26-Oct-01  @  09:19 PM   -   bit of a diddle

xoxos

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

my lovely old dad bought me a set of music history tapes and if eel so good.

here's it is: i got a lot of happiness out of blatantly copping old styles.. anything i can vaguely determine to be genre-like.

does anyone know of any thing that will feed my hunger for such little fictions? ie. a history book that tiresomely lists typical instrumentation in various musical mileus? so i can then proceed to dial up all the jv1010 presets and bang away at a 14th century dutch wind baking ensemble.

i've hesitated to ask this because i realize that this is the sort of thing you just have to find, but hey, maybe you know otherwise of some wonderful product that will amuse me in my delusory condition.

their is jsut that i can't do harpsichords yet.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/13                 Date: 31-Oct-01  @  01:20 PM   -   RE: bit of a diddle

marianimal

Link?:  No link

I used to have something called Grout's history of western music, which I'm sure you could find in a library. Wait, here it is! Hardcover. I didn't get rid of it. But maybe you're way beyond Grout's. If not, there's plenty of notation in it, you could have lots of fun.

Message 3/13                 Date: 31-Oct-01  @  07:53 PM   -   RE: bit of a diddle

xoxos

don't think i could. name makes me think about doing work, and that i shan't abide.

btw thanks for your 'haitches' tip.. vocalising exhalations got me the same. still need to reach a reconciliation with the forbidden sounds tho..

the happy throat.

Message 4/13                 Date: 06-Nov-01  @  02:28 AM   -   RE: bit of a diddle

casparproject

hmm, 14th century, that'd be renaissance.
renaissance music usually has some
recorders in it, if they're baking they prolly have
a bellows handy as well, put em together and
you've got bagpipes. so you're looking for a
bagpipe patch. now, for renaissance
compositions, you're going to want to use a lot
of parallel 4ths and 5ths, and open cadences,
and hockets, yeah, use lots of hockets,
renaissance composers loved those. and
have some kid singing in french over top of it
about how her dog was stolen by a garden
gnome, yeah. wait, maybe i've gone too far......

Peaceout,

Peter

Message 5/13                 Date: 04-Dec-01  @  10:00 PM   -   RE: bit of a diddle

sitar

Link?:  Link

Pick up a record by the Boston Camerata. They have several I think. Crumhorns galore and all those parallel 4ths and 5ths. Songs of courtyard love and pleasantries in the garden....I think. Or did they do the religious crap? Maybe both. I don't think crumhorns were allowed in religious music. I love crumhorns. They're so in your face. I bet they'd be perfect for hard techno. Crum'n'Bass anyone?

Message 6/13                 Date: 06-Dec-01  @  01:31 AM   -   RE: bit of a diddle

nasir

14th century renaissance.

grab that lute you bought 20 years ago, or alternatively grab your guitar, modiy to lute tunings (simple ones i think sharpen the G-string).

Its not too hard to find italian or french tablature that will give you a good feel for counterpoint and lyrics/melody of 14th century tunes

Message 7/13                 Date: 06-Dec-01  @  10:32 AM   -   RE: bit of a diddle

xoxos

(forehead)

[view user] 'pray three gnomes.' been and gone   thanks tho.

if you know lute.. what do you think of my lute patch?? it's z1. no one would make one for me  

Message 8/13                 Date: 06-Dec-01  @  10:33 AM   -   RE: bit of a diddle

xoxos

C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C
            x x x x x x x x x x                                          

it NEVER does my fackn chords!!!!   oh.. there's a box to tick..

Message 9/13                 Date: 06-Dec-01  @  04:21 PM   -   RE: bit of a diddle

bedwyr

4ths. see? you can move this up and down any old way, sound like mcoy tyner in an instant. bit like minor ninths on a guitar. i'll add an mp3 in a minute, nothing to do with the thread tho. just testing.

'so what' too.

Message 10/13                 Date: 06-Dec-01  @  11:04 PM   -   RE: bit of a diddle

xoxos

you just wanted to say 'move this up and down any old way' didn't you.

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum