0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: sampling the man-on-the-street

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11                 Date: 11-Oct-01  @  08:56 PM   -   sampling the man-on-the-street

Ghost

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

hey all.....

since using voice samples from records, films, etc., is clearly a losing proposition, I was thinking of making my own...

but what are the rules?

if I sample someone (with their knowledge and consent) do I own the recording?

can I do anything I want to it, including alter it and also sell it? do I need their explicit permission or do I owe them anything?

any insights into US or international law would be helpful....

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/11                 Date: 11-Oct-01  @  11:09 PM   -   RE: sampling the man-on-the-street

influx

Link?:  Link

if they can prove its them then the COULD come and get you

how big are you planning on getting, man? I mean...the "underground" dance scene has been swiping sounds "illegally" for YEARS (not to mention hip hop?) and gotten away with it. Its mainly when you get noticed that something happens

I wouldnt sweat it, really

Message 3/11                 Date: 14-Oct-01  @  05:14 PM   -   RE: sampling the man-on-the-street

Pongoid

Rip away, dude, just do something good with the sounds.

Message 4/11                 Date: 15-Oct-01  @  10:04 AM   -   RE: sampling the man-on-the-street

Bastiaan (Hajee)

Can you imagine what would happen if someone would have sampled himalayan monks chanting for ethnic journey 4. (or whatever) and these monks would find out their copyright had been infringed... bad karma. I'm gonna take my MD out to the market today...hey would this not be NICE...to make an international sample swap...you sample sound particular to your hometown ro countrue (street ogans, churchbell, marketsquares or muzeebs) and we share those in a seperate directory on DT???

well?

Message 5/11                 Date: 15-Oct-01  @  11:44 AM   -   RE: sampling the man-on-the-street

Maarten

As long as you know I'm not swapping with the likes of you.   I usually walk passed those dutch street organs with as much distance as possible.

-M-

Message 6/11                 Date: 15-Oct-01  @  01:04 PM   -   RE: sampling the man-on-the-street

bedwyr

if you do it with their 'consent' and they sue you it's down to a court to decide if that 'consent' is/was valid, i.e. did you tell them it's only for a track on mp3.com, but you made a packet selling sample cd's of their cockney rhyming slang improvisation (or whatever)? if i use a session player and pay them a session fee and they sign a contract saying i own it then it's mine. i've signed contract as both player and composer, and generaly the performer always gets payed for his time & composer has more of a chance of ongoing earnings (royalties, prs in uk), though this isn't always the case (buy-out - where the composer sells his rights to the tv/film company).

who remembers what happened when the girl from 'big fluffy clouds' - the orb sued them for copyright?

Message 7/11                 Date: 15-Oct-01  @  05:04 PM   -   RE: sampling the man-on-the-street

Ghost

hey thanks for the affirmation...
samples are fun, lawyers are not, so me no worry.

I think the Orb sampled Joni Mitchell for that... dunno if she got paid...

that Negativland site has some pretty cool stuff about the law and sampling.....

Message 8/11                 Date: 15-Oct-01  @  09:51 PM   -   RE: sampling the man-on-the-street

knowa

Rickie Lee Jones, not Joni Mitchell. I used to work on an inpatient psychiatric unit, and had to work really hard not to commit a truly horrible violation of professional ethics and slip a dat into my pocket for "group time". Insane random vocal samples.

Message 9/11                 Date: 16-Oct-01  @  04:35 PM   -   RE: sampling the man-on-the-street

Bastiaan (Hajee)

Well Maarten I actually ALLWAYS pay those poor sods that run about with their street-organs... it costs me dearly since I live at the marquetsquare in Delft where all the Japanese and Yankee tourists come flocking...

I stopped ginving to regular junky-beggars tho, since these fucks actually do spend my dimes and guilders on dope...never thought they would.

Message 10/11                 Date: 16-Oct-01  @  06:00 PM   -   RE: sampling the man-on-the-street

Maarten

Once payed one of those street-organ dudes a fiver to move over further out in the street... was at my mates home chllin and getting irritated. I always give something to one particular homeless guy singing on the streets of The Hague with such a talented voice... *very* talented. The guy truly deserves more recognition.

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum