0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: Please critique my new track

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/37                 Date: 25-Sep-01  @  01:54 AM   -   Please critique my new track

Sensoniq

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I'm looking for some feedback on my newest tune, "Day Turns Into Night."...Especially regarding the arrangement and whether the vocoded vocals should come in sooner...Also what genre would you label it? Thanks very much for your help

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/37                 Date: 25-Sep-01  @  07:15 PM   -   RE: Please critique my new track

k

dunno mate - it's definately a reggea feel tho isn't it.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/37                 Date: 25-Sep-01  @  07:16 PM   -   RE: Please critique my new track

k

the vocals are great by the way - what's doing that?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/37                 Date: 26-Sep-01  @  02:43 AM   -   RE: Please critique my new track

Sensoniq

Believe it or not that's my Virus b's vocoder! And it gets such a bad rep...all it takes is a little tweakin'. Yeah it definitely has a reggae feel with the chords on the offbeat

Message 5/37                 Date: 27-Sep-01  @  06:40 AM   -   RE: Please critique my new track

panama

File?:  [image]

[image file]

sounds good man! I dug the strum rake
sound! quirky and fun - nice melody.

From a mixing point: the bass levels aren't
right. The bassline has too much low end to it.

If your having probs, get a pair of hi-quality
headphones, and they will treat you right...
Acoustically, the bass needs a bigger speaker
than a near field to master, but from what I've
learned and heard, a pair of Sony MDR-7506
will level the bass things out...

Sony has a way of using your head and body
to form a consistent bass level, and it's so
acurate, its blows me away.

Another idea for figuring the bass problem out,
is if you use a sub woofer in your mix, or a
near field that goes below 50hz (acurately)...
You might have a mis-placed woofer in your
room or your room acoustically is drowning
out the low end frequencies... Move your gear
into a kitchen or a place rather than the one
your working in. Something that is big, and
has a high ceiing... your compensation for
leaving the low end big, could be the problem.

oh, and the mdr's aren't good at loud
volumes... so if you turn them up, it sounds
like shit - preventive measures by the Japs.

chinaski

Message 6/37                 Date: 28-Sep-01  @  08:53 PM   -   RE: Please critique my new track

roller8

Um, where exactly is this track at?

Message 7/37                 Date: 28-Sep-01  @  11:39 PM   -   RE: Please critique my new track

Sensoniq

It's right in the music section of this site...currently on the top 40 Reader's chart I think...Don't go to mp3.com cause that's just my old stuff

You have a good point about the mix being a little heavy in the low end. The thing is, I made other mixes/versions of this tune that were less bass heavy, and I didn't like them...The feel wasn't right to me.

Could it be that the fact that it sounds too bass-heavy to some is just a matter of opinion? Of course I think I remember hearing something about the kick should always have more low end than the bassline, and I don't think that I made sure of that in this mix...

Message 8/37                 Date: 28-Sep-01  @  11:53 PM   -   RE: Please critique my new track

bedwyr

dunno if that's so true about the kick/bassline thing, maybe the other way around?
s'ppose it depends on the style, drum&bass has a higher kick with loads of sub 4 the bass, always thought the kick hits you in the chest, bass in the bowels  ...

Message 9/37                 Date: 29-Sep-01  @  02:42 AM   -   RE: Please critique my new track

LunarSeaWeapon

Link?:  No link

sorry mate not my cup of tea!it sounds quite dated(home keyboard sounding)and lacks direction!!!!!

Message 10/37                 Date: 29-Sep-01  @  04:58 AM   -   RE: Please critique my new track

Sensoniq

Kick in the chest, bass in the bowels   those words are so true man. Thanks again all for your comments -- both the good and the bad. It's actually comforting to know that some people don't dig it because I'd rather stay underground than go mainstream...appeal to the select rather than the masses ;)

BTW Lunar I checked your Monkeys Track to return the favor...the beat is nice at first, but unfortunately it is way too stagnant and repetitious for my taste. To be blunt it sounds like a 7:30 minute intro to me. Percussive tracks are nice when they are done right -- i.e., interesting fills and rhythmic changeups -- but your's was just seriously lacking this as well as originality sorry bud

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 37 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum