0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Sherman Filterbank- my god!

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/29                 Date: 22-Sep-01  @  01:16 AM     Edit: 22-Sep-01  |  01:19 AM   -   Sherman Filterbank- my god!

milan

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

JEEZ! I was looking for a verstile distortion/ modulator unit, when i ran across an ad for a Filterbank, right in my neighbourhood. Needless to say, i went and checked it out, and of course couldnt resist it, so i had to get it.

I just spent a couple of hours playing with it, and this thing bloody rocks. Took me an hour to figure out the configuration of the filters and whats what, but now that i know it a bit better i have to say this is one serious sound mangler. The input overdrive is a bit too brutal and fizzy for my liking, but if you overdrive the filter you get some wicked low-end distortion. Put a drum loop thru that fucker and you get an instant bassline to go. More, swich the second filter to BP mode and get some swooshy toobrush effects on the hihats, just ad a new snare and youŽre ready to go...

Hell, even if it sounded crap, all the pretty lights would still inspire me to make tracks. Especially the red/green LFO one, which pulsates to show you the lfo frequency and phase. Oh, and did i mention that the bloody thing goes up to 3Khz? Hillarious, i tell ya...

As the guy who sold it to me said: "this thing is a weapon."

And i got the thing from an SSL based studio... apparently the thing was too brutal for them  

i was so excited apparently, that i made a bunch of typos.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/29                 Date: 22-Sep-01  @  01:52 AM   -   RE: Sherman Filterbank- my god!

influx

have to say Im envious. what did you pay?

Message 3/29                 Date: 22-Sep-01  @  02:24 AM   -   RE: Sherman Filterbank- my god!

steve

Link?:  No link

I got tired of mine pretty quick, it would`ve been nice to be able to set the input gain low enough to not overdrive everything and yet still trigger the envelopes. The rez squeeked in a nasty way too.

Enough of me being a miserable old bugger anyway - congrats, it was the ballcocks for breaks and stuff.

Message 4/29                 Date: 22-Sep-01  @  03:25 AM   -   RE: Sherman Filterbank- my god!

influx

mutron mutator was cool, too

Message 5/29                 Date: 22-Sep-01  @  11:47 AM   -   RE: Sherman Filterbank- my god!

steve

yeah, that was the one I wish I`d have looked into instead. I remember on the sherman site tho some people asking if it was possible to get the thing to not overdrive whilst still triggering the circuits and the bod the actually made the thing said you can short the circuit on the inside, I didn`t feel brave enough to do that.

It just didn`t make sense tho - theres no way you could make use of any sound ran through it with the input gain in the upper regions (unless you`re doing industrial or summat) so I never figured why they didn`t calm it down a bit and make it more versatile.

Message 6/29                 Date: 22-Sep-01  @  11:50 AM   -   RE: Sherman Filterbank- my god!

milan

Heh, actualy these guys got a Mutator to replace the Filterbank. I got it for about 280$. I think its an ok price, and anyway, at least i got to hang out in a bloody marvelous studio (optical patchbays anyone?) and even left my number if they need an assistant anytime.

Message 7/29                 Date: 22-Sep-01  @  01:37 PM   -   RE: Sherman Filterbank- my god!

steve

$280? Damn, thats mad cheap - I paid about $450 for mine 2nd hand and that was pretty cheap at the time. And anyway, if you do get tired of it you could always sell it to influx for $500 ;^)

Message 8/29                 Date: 22-Sep-01  @  02:59 PM   -   RE: Sherman Filterbank- my god!

milan

hehe, thanks for the tip Steve (or was it R-Tek?), i think iŽll do some serious distorting first, i think i can get this beast under control.

Message 9/29                 Date: 22-Sep-01  @  04:09 PM   -   RE: Sherman Filterbank- my god!

steve

call me whatever, most people call me "cunnt" tho. Except for girls, they call me "maggot-dik" or "stalker".

Heres a fun thing for the sherman anyway if you hadn`t already tried:

run some drums through the sherman and resample, slice and dice the buggers for a different rhythmical feel and then feed them into the frequency mod socket on the back whilst feeding some kind of synth sound through the audio input. Then resample that and it`ll give you a loppy cross-rhythm when layered underneath the original loop. Maybe that was the amp mod instead of freq or something, I forget but its fun anyway, very odd.

Message 10/29                 Date: 22-Sep-01  @  10:00 PM   -   RE: Sherman Filterbank- my god!

influx

$280? US? jeez!

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 29 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum