0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: TO HOST vs MIDI

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11                 Date: 16-Aug-01  @  01:16 PM   -   TO HOST vs MIDI

Bastiaan (Hajee)

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Does anybody know the difference in use between the serial port (to host) and midi on yamaha equipment in conjunction with their UX256? Is there a difference in timing, speed etc? What equipment of yamaha besides the cs1x and the cs2x actually makes use of it?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/11                 Date: 18-Aug-01  @  03:32 PM   -   RE: TO HOST vs MIDI

0/d

Link?:  Link

never heard of it,what is it?

Message 3/11                 Date: 19-Aug-01  @  07:30 PM   -   RE: TO HOST vs MIDI

monkeyboy

the to host terminal allows the user to connect the instrument (in my case a CS1X)directly to a host computer which does not have a midi interface,cool huh. with this you can make use of the cs1x edit s/w. dunno if you can use it with other sequencing s/w though.

Message 4/11                 Date: 19-Aug-01  @  07:52 PM   -   RE: TO HOST vs MIDI

Bastiaan (Hajee)

Yeah i know it's basically a serial cable (the mac type actually) But my main query is whether it's better in performance than using the regular midi cables...my cs2x has one of those porst and I was wondering if the change to that cable would have any benifits or drawbacks (speed,timing, special functions) ...the csxx editors work with midicables as well, as far as I know.

have you ever user the cc1x with that cable monkeyboy?

Message 5/11                 Date: 19-Aug-01  @  11:16 PM   -   RE: TO HOST vs MIDI

monkeyboy

no, not yet im hopefully getting the to host lead next week along with the editor. as far as i can make out thats all you need as well as the driver. the great thing about that to host port though is that you can actually switch it to either pc or mac and when you dont need to use it you switch it back to midi again.

Message 6/11                 Date: 19-Aug-01  @  11:28 PM   -   RE: TO HOST vs MIDI

Bastiaan (Hajee)

The editor for the cs2x works fine with midi in/out...at least tune em up is...so you might wanna reconsider if that's your only reason to upgrade to that cable..

Message 7/11                 Date: 19-Aug-01  @  11:48 PM   -   RE: TO HOST vs MIDI

monkeyboy

its not that its just that i dont have a midi interface,s/w,soundcard etc. i havent been using the pc for music, ive been usin all hardware.does the CS2X have a different s/w editor than the CS1X? i spose it does doesn't it? is the CS2X as awkward to assign midi to as the cs1x is? anyway why do you want to know about the to host cable if your using midi leads? just out of curiosity?=)

Message 8/11                 Date: 20-Aug-01  @  07:56 AM   -   RE: TO HOST vs MIDI

Bastiaan (Hajee)

Cause I'm considering the UX256 midi interface which also hase the serial ports...anyway I *think* the Cs1x an 2x ar fairly similar and that controlling both can be done using midi...if the serial cable is 'just' a midi cable (using differnet ports, drivers and plug) it should function in a vary similar way : midi / sysex to control the synth...so that's why i *think* you might not need that cable, if your soundcard has a mid/joystick port you could also use that...on the other hand if you use the serial cable the cs1x's unused channels could be used to control other pieces of equipment....

how did you enter notes without the use of midi??

Message 9/11                 Date: 20-Aug-01  @  10:53 PM   -   RE: TO HOST vs MIDI

monkeyboy

yeah hajee i think youre right. the serial cable and the midi cable do the same thing, they both transmit and recieve the same data so there shouldnt be any difference in performance. it seems that yamaha just give the user the option of using either lead. its ideal for someone like me that doesnt have a midi interface, i can just plug into any available serial port of the same type in the computer. you dont have to have the to host lead, its just an option.

i dont know what you mean by 'on the other hand if you use the serial cable the CS1X's unused channels could be used to control other pieces of equipment...' the synth only gives the option of using either the host lead or midi not both at the same time.

as for the note entering thing, im trying to sus that out at the moment. im using an RM1X to sequence and the CS1X as the master. i dont know much about midi as im new to this. but i can tell you im finding it extremely testing. i posted in the 'newbie section' on this subject, if you know of a solution id be glad to hear it.cheers=)

Message 10/11                 Date: 20-Aug-01  @  11:23 PM   -   RE: TO HOST vs MIDI

Bastiaan (Hajee)

Oh IO thought that you could still use the midi thru...at least that's what I thought after reading the review of the ux256.... aaargh must have been me, fooling myself...

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum