0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: Digitalbound's new Track Phonewerk

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/15                 Date: 01-Aug-01  @  08:13 PM   -   Digitalbound's new Track Phonewerk

digitalbound

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hey guys,

Its me from Los Angeles (what's up Digitalrust, Influx, and La la heads!!!)

So, I haven't been posting in awhile, but I have been reading.And more importantly, really working in the studio. I have a track that I was hoping I might get some feedback on.

It's at:

homepage.mac.com/rwp

Its the only file there. MP3 format.

Also, it is meant as a DJ track so it has the requisite intro and outro stuff....

But it is a breaks type of track so Influx - I'd love your opinion. Same with Pongoid. I've never heard any of his stuff, but I imagine that this track may resonate with him.

Thanks guys!

rob.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/15                 Date: 01-Aug-01  @  08:19 PM   -   RE: Digitalbound's new Track Phonewerk

influx

Link?:  Link

grrr. snarl. PUT IT HERE or I aint listenin. Im not into an hourlong download. sorry

would like to hear it tho

Message 3/15                 Date: 01-Aug-01  @  10:53 PM   -   RE: Digitalbound's new Track Phonewerk

digitalbound

Yeah, but 24 Kb encoding?

What's up with that?

The file is 7 megs and the Apple servers are fast (50 KB/sec. download speed.). If anyone wants to venture outside of Dancetech's music archives.

I can't recode until I get home. But then I am on a Mac, and Dancetech is unfriendly with Mac for file uploads. I won't be able to upload that track here until tomorrow I guess....

rob.

Message 4/15                 Date: 01-Aug-01  @  11:20 PM   -   RE: Digitalbound's new Track Phonewerk

roller8

I thought your missing from DT was attributed to finally meeting us all in person that one night and getting scared...  

Post the track here in lo-fi!! Good to hear from you again.

Message 5/15                 Date: 01-Aug-01  @  11:45 PM   -   RE: Digitalbound's new Track Phonewerk

influx

wait..Im fucking CONFUSED

who came to the first Digital Rust/Ullery show?

was it ROB or JJ? digitalbound or..uh...JJ? 

who did I give my CD to? because BOTh disappeared subsequently. didnt mean to scare anyone! 

Message 6/15                 Date: 01-Aug-01  @  11:47 PM   -   RE: Digitalbound's new Track Phonewerk

droog

Link?:  No link

right.. i listened. the track definitely has a good groove to it, but it just seems a bit too simple to me..the sounds are all pretty conventional and nothing seems out of the ordinary..by the looks of your rig, with the q and all, surely you can unleash some truly wicked sounds.. the track really starts at around 4 minutes in my opinion. also, the drums seem a bit choppy, maybe over quantized? in my opinion..so id maybe try a delay or something..get a little more funky flow. but it seems like youve really got the concept down- the groove is certainly there...id just work on some of the details. i realize this track is for the dancefloor, but still, a little more variation would do wonders. all in all, good track. cheers..

Message 7/15                 Date: 02-Aug-01  @  12:39 AM   -   RE: Digitalbound's new Track Phonewerk

digitalbound

Hey Thanks for the comments.

I've been listening to Squarepusher's Go Plastic recently and have been influenced by that.

Some advice had been given to me that I should try a more ambient approach with my stuff (as I had really been working the "song" approach rather than track approach.) So, this track is possibly a reaction to the above things (incl. Squarepusher).

Also, I sold my QRack - This whole song was sequenced in Reason, run through Digital Performer 3.0 for effects (and Bomb Factory plugs to do some compression), and into ProTools for final bounce down....

So, everythign you are hearing is software based. No hardware at all.

But, that is good advice with regard to making it more complex. However, I think I will let this one stand and work that approach on a new track I am working on...

I am reminded of Pongoid's approach - simplicity - it's hard to keep interesting when doing simple tracks!

Yo, people in LA. Influx - we met briefly. I was with my wife, but I didn't get a CD from y'all. I met Raul and Dave (digitalrust...) I never met JJ - he apparently bailed before any of us got a chance to talk to him.

rob.

Message 8/15                 Date: 02-Aug-01  @  04:46 AM   -   RE: Digitalbound's new Track Phonewerk

digitalbound

File?:  [image]

[image file]

Hey All,

I uploaded the song into DT. Its only 900kb
size now. I hope it sounds o.k.

Anyway, its available. Please let me know
what you think, k?

Thanks! (BTW, uploading the mp3 file worked
on my mac here at home. That's pretty sweet!)

rob.

Message 9/15                 Date: 02-Aug-01  @  06:30 AM   -   RE: Digitalbound's new Track Phonewerk

influx

listenin right now. cool...but yeah..its takin a little long to get goin

looking at the length Id say its probably too long (I tend to get a bit breathy too 

So we're at 2 minutes, when I would really expect things to start comin in, and its just NOT.

actually breaks down and gets MORE simple. Id seriously have a look at that if you want this to be a "floor" track. it needs to get in a little faster (sure leave enough time for a mixout but get to the MEAT a little sooner) and get in a little HARDER (more meat in addition to sooner)

just an opinion of course, but..it feels like its not quite there. simplicity is cool (hell...I could certainly use some lessons in that one) but too simple is hard to pay attention to

the neato LFO sound has come in now and thats good..but I would have brought that in after the breakdown (in addition to making the break shorter) and had it HUGE sounding. its kinda in the background

ok, well..now Im telling you how to write your song so no more of that  how bout 'avin a listen to something of mine? you can rip me if you want 

Message 10/15                 Date: 29-Aug-01  @  12:30 PM   -   RE: Digitalbound's new Track Phonewerk

john.walsh

Link?:  No link

Is it just me or does the the background throb seem to wander away from the beat? Probably me..

Right ...
love the sounds, LOVE the sounds, but the build up and break down are way too enormus in length. there is no rush , it's a very academic song(all therory, no actual "get amongst and get ya hands dirty" option)

I think that even though it is a new breaks song, you shouldn't be afraid of messing with the beats more if you want the song to have the stretches of build up. A bit more quirky percussion and maybe a more defined (dare i say louder) hat pattern? no actually scrap the hat pattern idea as it would most likely affect the beat too much in a bad . But as for percussion, for sure mate. As it is a telephone trak, maybe some phone clunks, cliks, hang up noises, pulse dialling noise "clik-a-clik-a-clik-a-clak,clik-clik-clik-clac"(during drop outs), "please hang up and try again".
Listen to hexstatic's 1st song off the rewind album. "comunication break down" i think it's called. They do this gritty noise using a modem connection tone which is truly beautiful.

Fuck, now i want to do it. Don't mean to tell you how to write a song though (i haven't even posted one here yet as everything is unfinished, so who the fuck am i to talk?).

Pages: 1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum