0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: aux sends ?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/16                 Date: 10-Jul-01  @  08:28 PM   -   aux sends ?

jungreen

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

hello
I have got my new mixer and have put my computer to sleep for a while(apart from just now of course). Being used to working in the digital domain I am having a few problems getting my head around the analogue signal paths. I am currently starting to connect up my effects and outboard gear and am a bit confused over the workings of the aux send outputs. There seems to be no return path into the mixer for the six aux outs. Is this normal? I am assuming now that I must tie up six of the input channels with the return signals from the six busses, but I was hoping that someone could maybe shed some light on the subject. As a side subject what effects are most commonly used on the aux busses(multi effects,compressors,reverbs???) and which should be dealt with through the inserts from the built in bantam patchbay.
Any help appreciated.... cheers
jun

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/16                 Date: 10-Jul-01  @  11:33 PM   -   RE: aux sends ?

influx

Link?:  Link

what board is it? pretty odd to have FX sends and no returns, but yeah you can come back into channels.

as for what to put on the send/return..NOT compressors. compression is an insert thing...

so your multis/reverbs/delays are on the sends so you can use them on more than one signal if you want, but compresors, gates, etc usually are inserted

and actually..if you use six sends, then that is TWELVE channels cuz you want to bring them back in stereo even though you send in mono...

Message 3/16                 Date: 11-Jul-01  @  01:25 AM   -   RE: aux sends ?

k

well, only stereo fx need stereo returns, not for mono delays etc - I too am fascinated as to what board has a built in bantam patchbay and no aux returns ??? - so what is the board Jungreen?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/16                 Date: 11-Jul-01  @  05:19 AM   -   RE: aux sends ?

influx

well, sure..but...yeah  mono delays. but what if the same unit has stereo delays? 

Message 5/16                 Date: 11-Jul-01  @  10:59 PM   -   RE: aux sends ?

jungreen

the board is a soundcraft 6000 , I think it was built in 1990,it has 24mono plus four stereo mic/line inputs which mix onto a 24 bus output(to a 24 track recorder I suppose). I bought it from a guy who restores old desks and it was half the price of the ghost console that I was about to purchase. I am still getting my head around the bantam patchbay, though I just got the manaul yesterday which is a big help.
jun

Message 6/16                 Date: 13-Jul-01  @  04:45 AM   -   RE: aux sends ?

influx

and theres NO returns?

damn you bought a BIG desk!!!! 

Message 7/16                 Date: 14-Jul-01  @  12:33 AM   -   RE: aux sends ?

jungreen

I have just spent a good few hours with my new desk. There are four multicore connectors that handle 64 arbitrary inputs and outputs. These all go to the built in bantam patchbay, on the patchbay you can link these i/o lines anywhere on the desk(the first 20 I have used for synths and samplers), and just near the top of the patchbay there are 'aux return' connections. So I suppose i can just patch the aux return to either to the input or the output bus. Its taking a bit of time to understand all this but it is a lot of fun at the same time. I just thought why send 2 grand on the mackie or a ghost when you can find a quality used console that is twice as good and half the price(assuming you have the space, this thing aint moving).

Message 8/16                 Date: 14-Jul-01  @  02:15 PM   -   RE: aux sends ?

k

6000 series!.. jammy git!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 9/16                 Date: 02-Aug-01  @  07:09 PM   -   RE: aux sends ?

Milan is back

Link?:  No link

series 6000- nice! you know those tape returns above the group outs? they are quite handy for use as fx-returns, since the have eq and aux send 1-2 controls on them. unless you want to hook up a recorder. then you would use them for monitoring, i imagine. and if not, you can also use the group faders, since they also have external inputs.

btw, your desk has 32 channel inputs + 24 bus inputs + 24 monitor inputs (bus section is in-line, right?). that makes 80 inputs if i´m not mistaken. thats one hell of a lot...wow.

Message 10/16                 Date: 03-Aug-01  @  01:23 AM   -   RE: aux sends ?

influx

I want to see a picture of this fucker

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum