0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Monitor Setup

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12                 Date: 28-May-01  @  12:55 PM   -   Monitor Setup

David Rydell

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Heya!

I'm going to buy my first real monitors and I don't got that much cash to spend. I'm doing mainly industrial/dance music.

Right now I am choosing between Tanoy Reveals and Spirit absolute Zeros. The spirit seems nicer and got deeper bass. But they are not shielded!

And the setup now means my speakers will only be 20cm away from my computer monitor.

So question is... Reveals/Zeros which is best?
If Zeros how far away should they be from my computer monitor?

Thanks Azh.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/12                 Date: 31-May-01  @  04:38 AM   -   RE: Monitor Setup

k

Link?: Link

more importantly how far apart should my speakers be to get a decent stereo image - thats the important bit. if the screens in the middle and the speakers are each 20 cm further out from that then they are too close together..

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/12                 Date: 31-May-01  @  07:57 AM   -   RE: Monitor Setup

David Rydell

ok. But I've got this nice big Ikea computerdesk with shelves on the sides that I can put the monitors on. And in the middle i have the computer monitor and my rack.

So there's only one speaker that's gonna be 20cm from the computer monitor. Total space between the monitors will be like 2m.

// Azh

Message 4/12                 Date: 31-May-01  @  11:15 PM   -   RE: Monitor Setup

influx

Link?:  Link

wait...youre thiking of having the monitors unevenly distanced?

bad idea right there, son

Message 5/12                 Date: 01-Jun-01  @  08:23 AM   -   RE: Monitor Setup

k

dont be a nutter influx... oh, wait... you mean one further away than the other?.. :-) ha ha ha... um... you dont wanna see how i mix then...  

er... shit... y'know i never looked into sheilded speakers cos i simply cant think of any situation where setting up the studio differently wouldn't remove the problem, it seems a bit weird to limit your speaker selection just cos you insist to put one speaker next to your screen...

however, they are both good speakers... also what about the alesis monitor ones?.. aren't the mk2's sheilded ?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/12                 Date: 01-Jun-01  @  09:15 AM   -   RE: Monitor Setup

David Rydell

File?:  [image]

[image file]

Problem is that I am pretty short of space in my litte productioncave.  

I have to have it like this (see included very professional illustration).

Well, worst case I'll just use the speakers as headphones, pressing them against my ears. That's what I call nearfield speakers... kidding.

// Azh

Message 7/12                 Date: 01-Jun-01  @  11:55 PM   -   RE: Monitor Setup

Moujik

Dont get these guys started about using headphones ;)

Message 8/12                 Date: 02-Jun-01  @  02:13 AM   -   RE: Monitor Setup

influx

boy am I thick. for some reason I thought you meant you had one say 2 ft from center and the other 4 or some shit.

haha..kilo..yours arent centered? isnt that a bad idea? seems like it would be

Message 9/12                 Date: 02-Jun-01  @  02:29 PM   -   RE: Monitor Setup

k

yeah, but i mix using cosmic centralisation of the solar-radiational feild of the gravitational convegence of the stereo divergance... so er... it doesnt matter.... but you're not concerned about the fact the monitor is right next to the rack then??...

Message 10/12                 Date: 02-Jun-01  @  04:52 PM   -   RE: Monitor Setup

wesseling

I have an offer to buy 2 second hand Spirit Absolute 2 inclusing a Servo Amplifier for only fl 900 (about 450 $)..... are these good monitors for a small production studio? Are they worth the price?

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum