0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Swing settings

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/18                 Date: 14-Mar-01  @  08:20 PM   -   Swing settings

strangefruit

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hey all - I was just wondering if anyone could give any feedback regarding swing settings that many people use. I love the sound of some of the deeper house and cannot really seem to get that swing - almost a delay toward the end of a bar. Does anyone know how this is done? Or if no swing setting is used, perhaps a different timing other than straight 4/4?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/18                 Date: 16-Mar-01  @  12:21 AM   -   RE: Swing settings

BJT

For a 4/4 beat, swing = moving forward or backward
every second 16th (you most prolly know)

2 settings I use:
Typically I move em all back by 1/4 of a 16th
Or for real attack move them all forward by
1/6 of a 16th.

Message 3/18                 Date: 16-Mar-01  @  01:57 AM   -   RE: Swing settings

jp

lot's of people use the swing function in the
sequencer. i do sometimes, and sometimes i do
it by hand...depending on what i'm goin' for.
sometimes a track w/o all that swing is nice.

Message 4/18                 Date: 16-Mar-01  @  11:51 AM   -   RE: Swing settings

jaz

what are typical settings for cubase then. there's so many and experimaentation doesn't give me a good starting point.

suggest a good basis for deep house and banging swinging house like say, basement jaxx.

Message 5/18                 Date: 16-Mar-01  @  01:48 PM   -   RE: Swing settings

Jasper

also delays can give the impression of some really technically programmed swing.

Message 6/18                 Date: 16-Mar-01  @  03:07 PM   -   RE: Swing settings

damballah

Link?:  Link

jaz, have you tried fooling with the Groove Control and some of the ones on the CD?

Message 7/18                 Date: 28-Mar-01  @  07:03 PM   -   RE: Swing settings

Pongoid

Link?: Link

Most house music is in 4/4. The key to swing is getting the second and fourth 16th notes in a beat to drag just a tiny bit. Let's beak this down to the old standard of 96ppq. This means 96 pulses per quarter note. It's how old drum machines like the 909 and the 808 and 606 stayed in time with each other. I digress.

In each bar of 4/4 you have four quarter notes. Each of these quarternotes has 96 pulses of time between each other. This will give you values of 00 to 95 between each note. Now, let's break each quarter note down to 16th notes, giving you four subdivisions between each. For example, you look at the slots on the 808 in rebirth, and there is a row of 16 little lights across the bottom? That's your four quarters broken up into 16th notes.

Going back to our 96ppq standard, that puts each of those 16ths either at 00, 24,48, or 72, then onto 00 again for the next beat. To get these grooves to swing, you take the second and fourth 16th notes, or what would fall on pulses 24 and 72, and move them back a bit, say 1-6 pulses, depending on how heavy a swing you want. So instead of those second and fourth 16ths in your beat falling on 24 and 72, they fall on pulses 28 and 76. Do not touch your down beat (00) or your up beat (48). If those move, it will sound wierd. maybe later when you REALLY get the hang of swinging notes, you mat want to mess with those to give a much more human syncopated feel, but for now, stick to the basics. Also, do it with all of your instruments, or things will sound like they are out of time with each other. In short, move the the second and fourth division of every beat back just a hair, until it feels like you want it to. Good luck.

Ape

Message 8/18                 Date: 29-Mar-01  @  12:55 PM   -   RE: Swing settings

fink

hi ape, i don't usually do house tracks, more breaks stuff but am very interested in knwoing more.

can you tell me exactly what sounds you are refering to and talk maybe in a cubase sense.

it's very complicated what you say but i do understand the jist of it.

cheers

Message 9/18                 Date: 29-Mar-01  @  02:01 PM   -   RE: Swing settings

Jasper

well in cubase if you use the groove control with one of the more extreme swing presets and make sure the preview box is ticked, then while your loop is playing adjust the percentage slider so you can hear the changes, it makes it a bit easier to tell what going on. They haven't got very intuitive names so go for the bottom most one.

Message 10/18                 Date: 29-Mar-01  @  02:51 PM   -   RE: Swing settings

fink

can someone give me some tips what exactly the sounds are that you refer to. ie. how many hats, types, pitches, etc.

that's where i get a bit stuck. excuse if i'm a bit simple but i'm not a house person in general.

Pages: 1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum