0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Acid lines

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/23                 Date: 05-Jun-00  @  07:29 PM   -   Acid lines

mathewam

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I need some help writing synth/basslines for acid trance/techno I'm not having any problems getting the sound I want its the patterns I'm having problems with
right now it's pretty much hit and miss I randomly step program my sequencer untill i hear somthing I like then tweak the slides accents fx etc. where i run into a problem is finding a complimentary line to go with it any tips on how to develop these patterns would be greatly apriciated. any help with getting good sounds would be nice I'm always open to new Ideas
my kit includes ensoniq asr-x yamaha cs1x and pc running cakewalk 5.0 thanx in advance
Andy

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/23                 Date: 07-Jun-00  @  05:57 PM   -   RE: Acid lines

andy

no one loves me  

Message 3/23                 Date: 07-Jun-00  @  07:27 PM   -   RE: Acid lines

o/d

learn some chords and sequence some apreggio type thingys and you'll have instant acid basslines.

then just fiddle with velocity and gate time in different bars to give some variation(it works for me,but don't use it as a lead,just have it going low in the background)

Message 4/23                 Date: 07-Jun-00  @  07:47 PM   -   RE: Acid lines

Mathewam

Thanx !! any tips for leads ?

Message 5/23                 Date: 13-Jun-00  @  09:48 AM   -   RE: Acid lines

ModAsBlue

Link?: Link

Arpeggiators suck.

You'll get acidlines with neither funk nor soul if you use them.

Also, a lot of *real* (not car commercial) acid lines use notes that are harmonically off... drop a 5th to a tritone, drop a 7th to a minor 7th but use the major 3rd etc.

Message 6/23                 Date: 13-Jun-00  @  01:12 PM   -   RE: Acid lines

H

Thanx Professor.No funk nor soul.True True.

Message 7/23                 Date: 13-Jun-00  @  03:41 PM   -   RE: Acid lines

swanofnever

seriously, someone please explain the acid thing... i know what you mean ModAsBlue, i've been listening to that shit for years, but my musical background keeps making all my lines sound like crap cause i just can't break out of key... the only solution so far is randomly change things out of "tune", but i'd really like to know stuff like what keys those guys (max reich et al) write in... i figured they just didn't know theory and therefore weren't hampered by fucking stupid-ass preconceived notions like i am...
and if any of you guys want to lay down a wicked acid tune, just try doing it in 3/4 time, or using 3-bar 4/4 patterns... stop being so damn predictable, keep it fresh... and who said lack of soul was a bad thing?

Message 8/23                 Date: 13-Jun-00  @  06:37 PM   -   RE: Acid lines

H

I've been programming electronic music for 14 yrs. and I've yet to find any use for any theory other than rhythm theory.You can't make something fresh if you have to think of all those damn rules.I'm not sure if you can unlearn it but you should just try to think random and go w/ the feel and not try to worry about what key it is in.Maybe you can't figure out what key someone is in because there is no key to describe it that goes along w/theory. It's not about time signatures,modes,scales,substitutions,and all that bullshit.It is about soul even if it is a cold dark sterile yet beautiful sort of soul.It's about the point at which your body and mind become one with the machine.It's also about LSD hence the name ACID.Even some of the best tracks in exsistence were created by accident,experimentation,and an idea.I think that the most amazing thing about electronic music is that it gives you the freedom to create something which is yours and yours alone.You create the sounds,the notes or lack of notes,and the theory to suit you.I mean you can use equipment that generates tones w/ voltage that have nothing in common w/ western scales or eastern for that matter.So you see if you try to analyze it you will always fail because there is no tried and true formula for you to follow.If it sounds and feels right it is.If you can't abandon your theory on a keyboard maybe you should try an alternate controller.You just shouldn't have learned all that piano crap to begin with.If you want to try to use scales,and weird time signatures you should make prog rock and not tekno.

Message 9/23                 Date: 14-Jun-00  @  10:46 AM   -   RE: Acid lines

swanofnever

point taken, i didn't really mean to learn anything, it just sort of happened... i've been thinking about going hardware-sequencer based, a small time keeper and modular analogue sequencers... no preconceived notions on a grid of knobs, but i haven't really got the cash yet (still trying to build up a decent set of sound sources)
i know what you mean, but at the same time it's not like i TRY to analyze shit, you just can't help hearing it (i guess you could plug your ears)... i mean on all those 303 lines, its frustrating that the intervals will just pop into my head cause i'd rather not know...
anyway i'd really like hearing from acid-heads, i still think it's some of the best shit there is, so far from crap like plain, old house...
and yes, i looooove lsd... it's been a year or two (sorta got scary), i wish there was still pure stuff around, now it's all fucking windex.

Message 10/23                 Date: 14-Jun-00  @  01:14 PM   -   RE: Acid lines

H

So youre all about piano and gun control huh?Unfortunately they don't inform you of this in YOUR TV INDUCED HAZE but if you go to www.drummachine.com you can purchase a MICROCON(no it's not a small criminal)and a CYCLODON sequencer for about $500 I THINK.Shit man I just went back and looked @ that lovely discussion we were having.Are you on a desert island or something I mean you like lsd and you are for our cops to be the only ones who are armed?????????ARE YOU FUCKING PSYCHO OR SOMETHING IN CASE YOU HAVEN'T HEARD WE ARE IN A DRUG WAR.For you to come down on either side of the argument is not right WE AMERICANS ARE FIGHTING FOR THE VERY RIGHT TO DEBATE THE DRUG WAR.THE PEOPLE ARE BEGINNING TO GET ANOTHER SIDE OF THE STORY BECAUSE OF THE INTERNET BUT IT"S ASSHOLES LIKE YOU WHO JUMP INTO THE ARGUMENT BASED ON FICTION NOT FACT.This is not a personal attack on you but just on people who don't even weigh all the evidence b4 a verdict.I WISH I COULD LEAVE BUT IF YOU RECALL I HAVE A WARRANT AND ACCORDING TO OUR PROTECTORS OF FREEDOM I HAVE GIVEN UP MY RIGHT TO A SPEEDY TRIAL.OUR PROBLEMS ARE MUCH MORE COMPLEX AS A SOCIETY AND ONLY THE PEOPLE CAN STOP IT.ON A DAILY BASIS OUR GOVT COMBATS US USING VIOLENCE AND LIES HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO BAKE A NEW CAKE IF THEY HAVE CONTROL OVER THE KITCHEN?As far as making music is concerned maybe you should think visually.I am NOT a violent american I just can't stand the fact that we have so many assholes trying to tell us what to do.I wish people would mind their own business.I KNOW I got a little on edge w/ you guys it was just a major letdown to see the same propaganda that spews forth from the media and politicians up on my favorite cyberhole.I just wish people would bother to question and investigate what others tell them.If you want to know why I am so concerned please look up the methamphetamine anti proliferation act of 1999 on US search engine areas and you will understand.They should have labeling laws for legislation.From what I have gathered this law is aimed at stopping people from telling each other how to grow weed and to STOP THE DRUG WAR DEBATE ONCE AND FOR ALL.It would make something as benign as putting a link to CANNABIS CULTURE OR HIGH TIMES MAGAZINE A FELONY THATS RIGHT A YOU LOSE YOUR RIGHT TO VOTE,ASSOCIATE WITH WHO YOU LIKE

cheers.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 23 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum