0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Rattling Snares

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/24                 Date: 03-May-00  @  10:55 AM   -   Drum N Bass Rattling Snares

s.m.bradley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Okay I think I worked out the typical drum n bass pattern.

I have some questions :

1.) Where do I put the Hi Hats ???

2.) How do you get those manic 400bpm snare rolls over the top ?? How do you program them ? Are they programmed or are they just lifted from other sources ?

3.) What else do people do to the grooves to get that Drum n Bass feel ???

I've read through this forum and people have offered some great help. But I really am struggling with this and could do with some help. A nice long indepth tutorial from start to finish would be great. No one seems to have done that yet, It really would help some of us who are struggling.

Equipment I have :

Alesis SR16
Casio RZ 1
Yamaha DJX
Novation Super Bass Station
Juno 6

Pentium II 350, with cubase 3.65, fruity loops, rebirth, sound Forge, Wave Surgeon and loads of other bits n bobs.

The PC has a Sound Blaster Live! in it which can be used like a sampler until I can afford a one (if I need one that is).

Thanks

Scott

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/24                 Date: 03-May-00  @  09:22 PM   -   RE: Rattling Snares

joker

Link?: Link

in a nutshell.. (try the search for longer discussion about it)...learn this groove...

123, 123, 12 and 123, 123, 123, 123, 12-12

like flamenco...

now tap it over the above riddim from Photek...

Message 3/24                 Date: 04-May-00  @  06:08 AM   -   smapler

Jasper

>>The PC has a Sound Blaster Live! in it which can be used like a sampler until I can afford a one (if I need one that is).

ha ha ha, sorry but yeah you do need a smapler.

I noticed that the s2000 is going for 400 quid now... flipping eck!! I paid 1000 for one of those 5 years ago ,and for drum n bass they are great cos they have this really crisp punchy sound.. you could do worse.. stay away from the dj phrase samplers though.. the s2000 is as low as you can go and still have all the features you need.

Message 4/24                 Date: 04-May-00  @  07:20 AM   -   RE: Rattling Snares

s.m.bradley

What will the Akai do for me ???

I am thinking about getting one, the sound blaster does sound weak ! But I think I need to do something with that before I can justify spending 400 quid on more kit. I may buy it and still not be able to do anything which would be a waste.

Anyway can you tell me how to go about writing the rattling snares in Drum n Bass, is a sampler going to help me do this ??? If so how ?

Scott

Message 5/24                 Date: 04-May-00  @  01:02 PM   -   RE: Rattling Snares

k

you dont need more kit depending on the drum sounds you want to use, the SR is ok if TWEAKED well for certain styles, although it aint gonna get you breakbeat-loops, but U can use the h/d sequencer tracks for loop-bitz..

what is a 'rattling snare' by the way - it's the thread title, but you never make clear what you mean by it, it's not in the original question

Message 6/24                 Date: 04-May-00  @  01:33 PM   -   RE: Rattling Snares

r-tek

I think he means those little ghost snare rolls around the main hits. 2 start off, just program the main beats in eigths and then experiment with putting quieter 16th note snares around the beats towards the end of the bar. Learn the basic rules of that and then start experimenting. Try the basic beat above too - do 2 bars though and have the 1st without the little shuffles of the shakers and ghost snares at the end (if that makes sense). Mess around with the accents 2 geddit stepping and then experiment with pushing and pulling the beats 2 add some swing.

Message 7/24                 Date: 05-May-00  @  03:59 AM   -   RE: Rattling Snares

s.m.bradley

Thanks for your help, I'm no Jungle master so I can't think of a tune that will describe what I mean.

You get the basic 2 step or whatever you want to call it and then over that are quieter flurries of snares that are played very fast, too fast to play by hand.

But when I try it with my drum machine or using samples, it sounds too robotic.

Scott

Message 8/24                 Date: 05-May-00  @  07:15 AM   -   RE: Rattling Snares

k

triplet delay playing riddims again as above with that 12 time thing... it all goes back to that 12 time cross riddim... it's the foundation of reggea, ragga & jungle & then drum & bass...

Message 9/24                 Date: 05-May-00  @  08:24 AM   -   RE: Rattling Snares

s.m.bradley

Can you explain what triplet delay is !

Message 10/24                 Date: 05-May-00  @  11:26 AM   -   RE: Rattling Snares

k

well i'll give you an example then once you hear it, you can reproduce it at any tempo - with a 4/4 'boom-tish' beat at 137 bpm, set the delay to 328 ms.... that is the delay you need... but the placement of the drums get influenced by that delay... i'll say it again tho... that 12-time thing is real important !!...

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum