0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Get rid of the lame stuff.......

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/19                 Date: 09-Apr-00  @  03:34 PM   -   Dynamics, dynamics,dynamics.....

lastmanstanding

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

If anyone needs some tips let me know.... I've been playing real (yes real!!)drums for some years now. And I've also been sequencing. First things first, learn the accents!!! I've heard so much techno that sounds stiff & has no dynamics. And make it busy, you can still have that generic techno sound, but make it have a cool flavor. Something different now & then. Please....I'm so bored with so much stuff that people think is cool, and anyone w/ a sequencer & a drum machine can make up in about 2 minutes.......

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/19                 Date: 09-Apr-00  @  03:39 PM   -   RE: Get rid of the lame stuff.......

unknown_talent

Link?: Link

It's just rebirth, BUT have a listen and gimme some good advise and stuff I could make better.

HTTP://www.mp3.com/unknown_talent

I'd apreciate it bigtime ;)

Message 3/19                 Date: 10-Apr-00  @  10:13 AM   -   RE: Get rid of the lame stuff.......

Jasper

Well if you really want to make an impact on our techno rythms (btw I know what your talking about with the accents), why not put that drumming skill to good use and come up with some nice un-rigid patterns we can use.

I for one could use a bit of inspiration and someone elses hi-hat pattern with feel usually does the trick.. However they are hard to come by (good ones), we've all seen the shite techno.mid hardhouse.mid which is basically kick,hihat,clap in the typical bang tsh clap, style.

I've got this well funky one I'm using at the moment from cakewalk, the swing.dna file is great.

Message 4/19                 Date: 10-Apr-00  @  11:10 PM   -   RE: Get rid of the lame stuff.......

ModAsBlue

I just want to say that some kinds of techno are meant to be stiff, jerky. That's what makes it techno and not tek-house, you know? I don't know what you cats listen to but there is so much diversity out there that people often generalize about what should be what and how this and that should sound.

If you listen to guys like T-1000, his hard-minimal shite is just POUND CLOSED-HAT (reverbed)

like, nothing else, it's all in the synths.

Any drumcode track is much more (hence the name) drum-oriented and those cats really know how to program drums...

Tech=house like middle-school detroit shit (stacey pullen "Ritual Beating System" relies heavily on bad-ass accenting, manual quantize-tweaking (I mean, this is before groove templates or anything...he did this shit by making a 1.01.48 into a 1.01.46 by ear).

A lot of my rock-friends who only like the Crystal Method listen to my Tresor albums and are like "this is stupid" and utter that perennial complaint of "anybody with a drum machine could do that" ...

NOOO!!!!! If you say so, then do it. I give them a cracked rebirth and they come up with SHIT SHIT SHIT that is only a caricature of what they heard and a REALLY BAD caricature with no art.

Listen to Frankie Bones. On some tracks you think, "god, this guy has no fucking talent" but if you've heard his middle school shit (1994-96ish) you know that he can produce some bomb as shit...and then his stupid shit grows on you as you really listen to the details.

A lot of Techno is as much, if not more about sound creation and timbre and mixing than it is about "oh, hell yeah, I've got this bomb ass 'groovy' drumtrack"

SOme people need to get out of the studio and into the clubs more...remember where you came from and remember what makes you into a trainspotter, bobbing your head up front and jumping with the candy-ravers as you give each other a special eye-contact indicating "yes, I understand this set...this is it, right now...Terry Mullen is the headliner, and he's fun and all, but this guy, with his dj haircut and roman nose, sweatin his ass off, this guy is spinning the innovative shit...THIS is future music and I'm not on any pills and I wish I could capture this moment and show it to people..."

And it's usually forgotten when the 4 am disco house starts and everybody is dancing to the funky samples of the past. The future is forgotten by then...

I LOVE DISCO HOUSE and all, but ... hey...

Message 5/19                 Date: 11-Apr-00  @  03:36 AM   -   Yeah, techno.

Jasper

Dave Clark - Fuse. Mix.
Richie Hawtin - Decks, FX, and a 909. Mix.

My top played cd's at the moment, some really nice rhythms going on there.

Yeah some techno IS supposed to be rigid, like if you just pull the last but one 1/16th hihat on a pattern, just one step back to the previous 1/16th then the whole loop get this jerk at the end. Like.

Message 6/19                 Date: 12-Apr-00  @  01:03 PM   -   RE: Get rid of the lame stuff.......

damballah

Link?:  Link

Ummmm... Do you mean techno as in "techno?" Or do you mean techno in the way some people who aren't versed in the nuances of the various subgenres of electronic music use "techno" as a rather derisive blanket term for everything from Tangerine Dream and Gary Numan to Portishead and Autechre? Because there are some styles in the latter definition that have more of the human qualities you crave. Although I know what you're saying on a certain level, what kind of rhythms would you use to back some Germans saying "we are the robots" through a vocoder? By all means, though, lead by example.

Message 7/19                 Date: 13-Apr-00  @  12:15 AM   -   RE: Get rid of the lame stuff.......

ModAsBlue

Link?: Link

yeah yeah yeah! That would be in the subgenre of jerky-robot-phrase techno (i'm half=kidding)

Damballah, I mean techno as Techno. I'm one of those asshole purists who obsess over genre names. It's not so much that I need to classify things as they help people communicate: by all means, the fusion and extrapolation of genres leads to innovation but I still like to know what is "techno" proper or "tek-house" or "disco-dub" etc...

That Hawtin 909 album is ok but I'm absolutely entralled by the first two tracks. Simple, elegant but not booooooooring...

Message 8/19                 Date: 13-Apr-00  @  05:09 AM   -   RE: Get rid of the lame stuff.......

Jasper

So you like it a bit more laid back and spacious like?

It's about the only stuff you can write whilst stoned I reckon ;)

damballah - I'd chuck an awsome throbbing tribal rythm behind that, with a well bassy kick that has that overdrive shake (not distort). Really short and hard cl-hh on the offbeat. A reverse clap on the first offbeat tuned 1 down from the normal and overdriven forward clap on the 2nd on-beat. suck suck suck...

Then I'd bring in a short phase detuned ophh right on the last 1/16th before each beat hi-pass filterd to fuck. man I can't wait to get the micriwave2 cos that's what would come in next... really middly and power power POWER!!!!

shit shit shit, why am I at work????!!!!!

Message 9/19                 Date: 13-Apr-00  @  09:02 AM   -   RE: Get rid of the lame stuff.......

damballah

Link?:  Link

ModAsBlue: You're Lastmanstanding then? OK, I didn't get that. Detroit,hey -- yes, you'd know techno! It's just I've heard people I refer to just about anything with a synth or a drum machine as techno, as in "Why doncha listen to some real music instead of that damn techno" which gets 'em the middle finger salute damn near every time. Cool, then. You got any tracks?

Message 10/19                 Date: 13-Apr-00  @  08:10 PM   -   RE: Get rid of the lame stuff.......

lastmanstanding

I have some tracks, I will post them soon
Odd time anyone?? 3,5,7,11,13,15??

Pages: 1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum