0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: House And Garage Patterns

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/33                 Date: 14-Dec-99  @  03:12 PM   -   House And Garage Patterns

scottr

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm intrested in learning how to get a good garage sound, if anyone has any patterns they would be of great help. thanks.

cali

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/33                 Date: 14-Dec-99  @  10:00 PM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

k

yeah i'm up for that - i'd like to get into some garage - anyone doing garage at all... i want to start working with vocals again in some form, and i reckon that'd do nicely...

Message 3/33                 Date: 15-Dec-99  @  02:36 AM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

krisgot

Being an amateur, I am also constantly looking for that right, swinging garage feel. Thing is, styles change quickly in dance so the next sound could be in your head waiting to get out! Last few years of garage has been speed-garage with a faster and harder feel with loads of sampled bits. Now it seems British garage is going more towards the feel of EBTG, based more on songs. A few tips I can offer:

If you have a song, use it. Isolate the vocals and substitute original music with some jazzy chords. Maybe switch between minor and major chords. Can't explain it better musically (told I was an amateur!). Try filtering and EQing chords heavily.

When making your loop, layer the bassdrum with another bassdrum. Gives that funky, bouncy feel. Also try layering the snare.

Create a hi-hat pattern. Then give it some hi-pass and chop it up completely. And I mean totally tear it apart and drag and drop the pieces in random places untill it starts swinging. EQ the hi-hats differently.

I hope this will help a bit.

Message 4/33                 Date: 15-Dec-99  @  02:16 PM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

sage

i have heard of garage before, but i am not sure if i have heard any. i would realy like to hear some, cause i don't know what it is. can someone please show me the light
and krisgot, what is meant by "chop it up completely." could you explain what that means, tell me how it is done?
peace

Message 5/33                 Date: 15-Dec-99  @  06:24 PM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

John

Link?: Link

Garage, you say...check out "shizm.com". All the Garage you could ever want, and then some.....

Message 6/33                 Date: 16-Dec-99  @  01:31 AM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

ModAsBlue

EEAAAIIIICK!!!!

That Shizm.com stuff is like the worst house music I've ever heard in my life!!! If that were the only house I'd ever heard, I'd think that all that Dance shit on top 40 radio is house, THAT'S how close that Shizm shit comes.

That stuff is practically DANCE music! Like that Cher song or something!!!

Underground, yo. Fuck THAT noise!

Just because you sample an African chant doesn't mean your track has soul. The beats have to have soul too...

I could sample an episode of Roseanne but it wouldn't give me phat beats...

ICK ICK ICK BAD BAD HOUSE MUSIC!!!

I'm sorry. I just can't stop.
I'm glad I live in the Midwest sometimes.
Detroit.
Chicago.

Fuck Boston if they play that shyte.

(Listed is a reproduction of the track I heard. Well...expand the idea to 4 measures. Add cliched bass progression. The sampled chant is 2 measures long)

Message 7/33                 Date: 16-Dec-99  @  08:36 AM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

k

hmm... well, i wouldn't go that far, its classic old-skool house.. you like it or you don't... but that aint garage - logic audio is a great prog fro garage, cos it has the grooves built in to it's quantise section

Message 8/33                 Date: 16-Dec-99  @  08:44 AM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

krisgot

Mod........ easy..... calm....... breathe... come on..... breathe in........ breathe out.......... eaaasy..... There now, John was just trying to help. Didn't hear all the mixes in there. OK so maybe the variety isn't so great, but, hey, Frankie Knuckels was there. You gotta respect that.

What is garage?....hm..... one of these many evolving hybrids in dance music, that makes it so difficult to pinpoint. Here today, gone tomorrow. Garage was big in the US in the early 90's. Remember Kym Sims, Ce Ce Penniston and Robin S? I know, Mod, I know. That was commercial garage. Later Nightcrawlers and Basement Jaxx in the UK.

In terms of underground garage I've always found it very similar to deep house. Soulful vocals, jazzy chords, deep bass and often a raw, dark feel. For quality house music, one must, MUST, check out labels: Deepdish and Yoshitoshi, especially Penetrate Deeper, a classic. Also Twisted Records. Check out the compilations. And then there are the countless new artists on white labels and smaller labels. For the website the best I can do is satelliterecords.com and House in the listening booth. Go get'em!

Message 9/33                 Date: 16-Dec-99  @  08:58 AM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

krisgot

k, you're probably right... logic is best. I use Cakewalk 9, and it may be more timeconsuming but fun too. When I say cut up the hi-hat, I mean sample a normal pattern from midi, like the one Mod showed you. Then edit sections of it in the audio editor and drag and drop snippets within the loop. Copy and paste small bits and make new bits. EQ them differently. See what happens to you cat and call me in the morning.

Message 10/33                 Date: 16-Dec-99  @  12:10 PM   -   RE: House And Garage Patterns

danielski

Forgive me if you know all this already...

I've got a friend who does underground (i.e. speed) garage remixes of people like Destiny's Child for Columbia. He tends to go for a flat 4/4 kick/snare beat and leave all the skittery beats to other noises over the top. A phat 909 kick is a good way to go, also grab some Emu SP-12 samples from the net for some tuff punchy-crunchy drum noises (or even try and buy one... ha ha  

I take it you know the technique of not having every drum noise within the loop exactly on the beat (or 16th beat or whatever)? By moving certain sounds a *tiny* amount forward or back in your sequencer you can get that bouncy 'swing' that you talk about, even though things still sound tight. (Try moving kicks and snares and/or any other bits of percussion in your pattern and experiment to get that groove).

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 33 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum