0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Swingin House Beats

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11                 Date: 13-Sep-99  @  10:31 AM   -   Swingin House Beats

tpeppers

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I can't seem to get the right amount of swing in my house grooves. I'm using exclusively an Ensoniq ASR-X, and I know I must eventually move on to a more powerful sequencer but for now I'm trying to make due. Are there any swingin house masters out there, possibly familiar with the ASR-X's three swing quantization settings, who could give me some advice?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/11                 Date: 19-Sep-99  @  06:50 PM   -   RE: Swingin House Beats

k

usually, house with a swing uses straight 4 kiks and 'T' grooves on the hat etc with maybe offbeat 'T' snare drops added here and there... look at Triplet timing...

Message 3/11                 Date: 30-Sep-99  @  05:51 AM   -   RE: Swingin House Beats

mats.karlsson

Hi!

IŽve studied the essence of housebeats for as long as house has been around, and IŽve found two main theories on this subject. One being that most housebeats are actually so hard swinging that it almost tuns around and becomes a straight beat. Number two being that You make the best housebeats by not using quantization on the hihats, percussives and so on. If You do, You must move those parts in time, milliseconds, forwards in the beat. It also has a very tight relationship with the bassline...so You gotta be careful..listen to the bass and try to feel the hihat before You actually program it...
Then, move the entire bassline back about 2 milliseconds and start experimenting with moving the hihat/percussion-package forward in time, little by little...take a break now and then, otherwise You wont be able to hear if thereŽs a swing or not...
Happy programming...
And if You do get a better sequencer, get Logic Audio..its got wonderful swing parameters thatŽll do most of the work for You...

Message 4/11                 Date: 30-Sep-99  @  07:22 PM   -   RE: Swingin House Beats

barnesa

mats,
any chance you could post a midi-file or describe 'one-bar' PLUS give offsets to each 16th beat to give a basic groove?
i've been trying to use CuBase and it ain't swinging!!

Message 5/11                 Date: 01-Oct-99  @  05:31 AM   -   RE: Swingin House Beats

mats.karlsson

IŽll get on it as soon as possible. YouŽll have a midifile tomorrow or maybe sunday, coz I aint going to the studio tonight...
Thought I should send You some really good ones that I have programmed...

Message 6/11                 Date: 05-Oct-99  @  04:22 PM   -   RE: Swingin House Beats

hajee

hmm any change you coul dmail that groov pattern to me as wel?

Message 7/11                 Date: 17-Oct-99  @  04:16 PM   -   RE: Swingin House Beats

sage

Link?: Link

say mat, would please send me a copy of that midi file also. I am have problems with cubase... but i got cakewalk down wonderfuly, i want to make a mix of the two programs. I have an ASR-X pro, the preset swing quantization settings are just a start; in others words move the parameter nob and edit the quantize to your liking. Would love for some tips'n trick for the asr-x to be posted, i dont know...
here is quick beat i made...
DJ SaGe

Message 8/11                 Date: 23-Oct-99  @  11:54 PM   -   RE: Swingin House Beats

faaa

I love dis house stuff!

Message 9/11                 Date: 31-Oct-99  @  12:34 PM   -   RE: General beat?!

j.m.richards

Would somebody write and tell me what you think,
I have just written this off the top of my head because I have no computer near my music gear!

Message 10/11                 Date: 31-Oct-99  @  10:36 PM   -   RE: Swingin House Beats

John

Link?: Link

House beats are easy to create. Just remember two things.

1. If a sound falls on an 8th note, hard quantize it to the 8th note.

2. If a sound falls on a 16th note, it is fair game to be moved slightly before or after the 16th note. Experiment with this until it sounds right to you.

Also, record or sample a house loop that you like and try to emulate it with your own sequenced sounds.

If you have Wavesurgeon or Recycle, look at the loop with 8th and 16th divisions. You'll get an idea of how the different sounds are quantized.

I get a lot of inspiration from drum loops created by the Deep Dish boys, and by disecting some of their loops, I've been able to create some good ones too.

Cheers,

John

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum