0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: mixolydian or what?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/20                 Date: 30-Dec-00  @  02:56 AM   -   mixolydian or what?

pict

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

If I'm playing in D and using the G major pentatonic scale to improvise over it am I actually playing in D mixolydian or is there another name for that relationship?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/20                 Date: 30-Dec-00  @  05:59 PM   -   RE: mixolydian or what?

casparproject

Link?: Link

Dmaj. being def#gabc#, and GPent. being gabde, I
don't see any contraction. you could be in D mix.
too, but G.pent fits into both fine.

peaceout,

peter

Message 3/20                 Date: 30-Dec-00  @  07:45 PM   -   RE: mixolydian or what?

pict

Yeah but do you see what I'm getting at?If you play D major pentatonic all those notes are contained in the D major scale but using the limitation of the 5 notes gives a different flavour than using the whole major scale it's just that if instead of playing D lydian you play A major pentatonic it gives a different feel than using the actual lydian mode because you miss out the sharp 4th that is the only difference between the major scale and the lydian so are you actually theoretically playing the scale of D major or D lydian?It adds even more ambiguity to the sound same goes for the D mixolydian if you play G major pentatonic you miss out the flat 7th.If you try this with all the modes you can get some quite interesting results instead of D dorian try C major pentatonic for example.Scales are the biz for total absorption.

Message 4/20                 Date: 06-Jan-01  @  02:39 PM   -   RE: mixolydian or what?

Espoo2

Good God.
I feel stupid now.
That was all completely foreign to me.
And I thought I was a musician.
Thats some wacky shite you guys are talking.
Speaking in tongues?

Message 5/20                 Date: 07-Jan-01  @  02:06 AM   -   RE: mixolydian or what?

pict

Espoo get "A kind of blue" by Miles Davis and give it a serious listen.Then see if you can get the book written by the guy at the above website it gives you a whole musical dimension to look into.

Message 6/20                 Date: 08-Jan-01  @  12:56 AM   -   RE: mixolydian or what?

Espoo2

Miles Davis, eh?
Yeah, I've got that song on a compilation.
Big jazz fan. Was into jazz WAY before the electronic phase.
I listen to everything, just never got around to the theory stuff, maybe soon.
I read a good book by somebody Jordan, I think, called "Music, the Brain, and Ecstasy" talking about the evolution of sound throughout the ages and how it affects the brain. Good stuff.

Message 7/20                 Date: 08-Jan-01  @  01:35 AM   -   RE: mixolydian or what?

pict

"A kind of blue" is a totally modal album probably one of the greatest jazz albums ever imo do you like Thelonious Monk Espoo?Now that man was a total genius and is my greatest source of inspiration bar none especially when you hear him solo.Theory is a great timesaver any study you put in is rewarded sevenfold by increased musical awareness things that might never have ocurred to you become apparent because of the knowledge it gives you yet you can still experiment or do it by ear.I'm glad the musicians that went before bothered to write down their ideas for us to see and build on.

Message 8/20                 Date: 08-Jan-01  @  06:27 PM   -   RE: mixolydian or what?

deltasleep

ahhh espoo that is a very very good book, i checked it out from my school library, the most productive us of a school week ever. of course, now i owe my library a book, and i wish i had just taken the good one, and not this lame thing i lost. Ohhh nobody knows the trouble i've seen..
i recently got bitches brew, and the birth of the cool, and miles davis is cool, but he was too much of an egotist for me to really respect him...
at any rate, you should all read "music, the brain, and ecstacy" it has nothing to do with MDMA

Message 9/20                 Date: 08-Jan-01  @  07:47 PM   -   RE: mixolydian or what?

pict

Yeah I think I'll check that book out soon I've got a list of about 20 books I want just have to work out what ones I want most compared to the dosh I have.

Message 10/20                 Date: 10-Jan-01  @  04:51 PM   -   RE: mixolydian or what?

casparproject

I know what you mean, but on the same note, if you can used a mixed mode why not? Like, if a tune is in Dmaj it's perfectly ok to do a solo in Dmixolydian or Dmaj or Dpentatonic right? So why not have your tracks reflect the same mixed modality? Or you can do what I do, which is change the modality. Start in a totally pentatonic state, then bring in a bassline with scale degree five in it, or start off in a totally open state modally, then build a bit more tonality into the melodies, then after your main breakdown, slam into a major feel, or diminished or mixolydian or whatever. I find it pretty effective in live situations, esp w trance.

Peaceout,

Peter

Pages: 1 2

There are 20 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum