0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: Industrial music theory?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/22                 Date: 27-Oct-00  @  05:07 PM   -   Industrial music theory?

chickenhead

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I've been experimenting with music (mainly dance industrial) for a little over a year now with very little formal training. In spite of the fact that I have made a lot of progress in that time, I'm afraid that if I don't start studying some music theory that applies to the structuring of the music I may start to make negative progress with my music. Does anyone know any resources where I can learn more about song structure?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/22                 Date: 27-Oct-00  @  07:27 PM   -   RE: Industrial music theory?

casparproject

Link?: Link

See if you can find a copy of "earmaster" I beleive e-magic (Logic) makes it. It's a great ear training program, and it'll teach you a lot about note relationships from intervalic relationships to chord progressions.

Peaceout,

Peter

Message 3/22                 Date: 28-Oct-00  @  08:11 PM   -   RE: Industrial music theory?

shpongledboy

Link?:  No link

Don't know about industrial but here is few links.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/recipes.html

http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/apr00/articles/arrangingpop.htm

Shpongled

Message 4/22                 Date: 30-Oct-00  @  04:10 AM   -   RE: Industrial music theory?

BJT

Some good stuff here.

Anyone have links or know of good books
describing different song structures?

Something I'm trying to get into is to listen to a
song I like, break it down into sections etc...

BJT

Message 5/22                 Date: 31-Oct-00  @  06:33 AM   -   RE: Industrial music theory?

Gobbler

OXYMORON?

Message 6/22                 Date: 31-Oct-00  @  06:42 AM   -   RE: Industrial music theory?

H

I played 2 gigs live with pigface on the Notes from Thee Underground tour and while I was onstage I observed NO THEORY TAKING PLACE EXCEPT FOR THE EXTRA KEYBOARD GUY BEHIND EVERYONE ELSE EVEN ME.I played @ the outback in Orlando and @ Masquarade in Atlanta.They put me with my grocery cart in FRONT of a fulltime touring guy because he had theory.james if you're reading this Where the Fuck Are you anyway?GENESIS P orridge was just pressing noises on his EPS and even let me have a stab @ bangin out noises on the eps and I can Guarantee No theory is taking place inside of Genesis's head but who's he anyway just the cat who came up with the WHOLE FUCKING GENRE TO BEGIN WITH.

having no grasp of piano music will take you much further than you think.FUCK THEORY I DON'T need it and nor do you,and if you already got it too bad because you're wounded bad.

Message 7/22                 Date: 31-Oct-00  @  11:57 PM   -   RE: Industrial music theory?

pict

If you think of the different ways to approach synthesising sound 2 methods immediately spring to my mind.You can throw away the manual and twiddle knobs listening all the time to how the different knobs affect the sound and maybe eventually you can figure out the entire sound creating possibilities more than likely however you will not even scratch the surface of the sound creation possibilities.Another method could be to study the manual thoroughly learning how to manipulate all the parameters in the synth to produce the desired result at the same time you could learn about oscillators,filters,envelope generators,midi and armed with that knowledge I think you would be far more capable of producing a desired sound far more quickly than just twiddling knobs and guessing.This may not be the best analogy but I think you see what I'm getting at.Theory opens up an extra musical dimension why not avail yourself of a knowledge base developed for centuries and contributed to by some of the greatest musicians the world has ever seen,to refute the value of such a vast store of knowledge displays,to my mind,amazing ignorance.

Message 8/22                 Date: 04-Nov-00  @  12:47 AM   -   RE: Industrial music theory?

National Kid

I agree with pict. In my opinion youīll go nowhere without a theory base. It might not be that you get the theory you want from books, etc, but you must know and study the music itself. Try breaking down the music. Pay attention to the melody, try figuring out what gets your attention in songs that you like and learn from it. Thatīs the way Iīm using to learn music. Iīm just getting into electronic music now, thatīs the way i use to learn and that way i have always learned music, electronic or not. As a former rock player(anything with guitar really) i care a lot about the melody. I really think itīs one of the most important thing on music, electronic or not.
Hope this helps

Message 9/22                 Date: 04-Nov-00  @  12:44 PM   -   RE: Industrial music theory?

h

I have synth and sound theory I've been programming synths in some form or the other for 16yrs. and i used a roland 4 book course on subtractive synthesis and have had a sampler since '89.I read the manuals for the general architecture of it but it ALL works the same.Always has Always will.but being able to synthesize electronic music really has nothing to do w/ synthesisizer music.Music Theory in general is made for single timbred acoustic instruments and when there is an infinite amount of places that an oscillator can be when using control voltages so 12 SEMI TONES simply do not apply.the Octave is outdated.keyboards are just one of many methods for creating sound and music but If you are going to shape your own sound you need to know more about how sound is created in the first place than you do some scales or the ability to read music.I find that experimentation is key to finding your own voice and once you have succeeded in doing that your fingerprints will be all over anything you do.Sure you have to understand how TECHNOLOGY works but rhythmic and melodic Technique is best brought into the picture from inside your own mind.But anyway I don't intend to look at this section of the forums anymore so by all means study music if you like but if you cant make your OWN synthesizer sounds and patterns All the scales,chords and harmonies can wasily be destroyed by a firm grasp of sound,voltage,rhythmn,and 1 finger pattern based MPC programming.mark my words or Mock them but my abilities are about to chew up and spit out alot of "musicians".bet.

I can do it w/o the rules thank you.

Message 10/22                 Date: 05-Nov-00  @  04:31 AM   -   RE: Industrial music theory?

pict

Music is much more than synthesing sounds.Once you have created your sounds/timbres you still have to arrange them in a musically meaningful way otherwise your collection of carefully sculpted sounds/timbres will be perceived as noise.The 12 tone system offers A method(and a tried and tested one at that)of arranging sounds in a pleasing and logical manner if you availed yourself of that system which does not have to be exclusive of other methods you would in time realise that it has enormous potential to improve your music making.Denying the value that a knowledge of musical theory might have for music making seems to me to be a very closed minded attitude to an obvious avenue of musical exploration,it's not the be all and end all but it is a very useful store of knowledge which helps stop you from re-inventing the musical wheel so to speak.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum