0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: Now here's a goofyass question...

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/14                 Date: 25-Oct-00  @  07:49 PM   -   Now here's a goofyass question...

ed

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

New at this technodance thang...

I really for the life of me can't figure out the difference between techno styles?

Maybe it's my ear (I remember the first time I heard "Bitches Brew" it just sounded like noise), but I can't get the difference between House, Techno, Hard Trance, Jungle, you name it.

Not that they all sound the same, I can hear differences, just can't put my finger on it.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/14                 Date: 25-Oct-00  @  09:03 PM   -   RE: Now here's a goofyass question...

r-tek

Link?:  No link

techno *isn`t* a catchall term for all terms of electronic dance music mate. If they all sound the same to you then I suggest a new set of ears. Harsh, I know but.....well, just but.

Message 3/14                 Date: 25-Oct-00  @  09:42 PM   -   RE: Now here's a goofyass question...

ed

Oy, mate - did you actualy read my message?

<>

So what I'm asking, for example, is what is the actual difference between "trance" and "hard trance". If you don't mind my asking... Jeeze - is it like it's some sort of Masonic Lodge thing where you need to have the right hat and know the secret handshake?

Message 4/14                 Date: 25-Oct-00  @  09:44 PM   -   RE: Now here's a goofyass question...

ed

P.S. I said it was a goofyass question.

Message 5/14                 Date: 25-Oct-00  @  11:27 PM   -   RE: Now here's a goofyass question...

k

simple, just go out and buy a cheap compilation of each... and listen...

Message 6/14                 Date: 25-Oct-00  @  11:50 PM   -   RE: Now here's a goofyass question...

ed

Methinks he doth protest a bit too much.

Answers like this just make me feel like no one really has a grasp on this subject.

I've got butt-loads of CDs, been to many raves and clubs. Come on, people. Someone must have a clue.

Message 7/14                 Date: 26-Oct-00  @  12:48 AM   -   RE: Now here's a goofyass question...

damballah

Link?:  Link

Well the difference between jungle and trance should be pretty damn obvious if you've heard them both. However, sorting out the difference between hard trance, progessive trance, euphoric trance, etc... well, I'm just not up to that job. Too much subdividing the subgenres to be sure.

Message 8/14                 Date: 26-Oct-00  @  01:28 AM   -   RE: Now here's a goofyass question...

BJT

Then wots the difference between Jungle and
Drum and Bass?

Message 9/14                 Date: 26-Oct-00  @  09:14 AM   -   RE: Now here's a goofyass question...

barry

In reply to your question about the difference between D&B and jungle. Firstly though my personal opinion is that music is music, if you like it, then you like it, simple as that, it does not matter what genre or sub genre it comes under.

Jungle came first, I can't remember when it all started, but it was around at the time when I was listening to Hardcore, roughly 8 years ago. Jungle tends to be very HARD sounding, the harder the better. The bass usually gives it away these days - in Jungle you hear that big, big distorted fucker, and the drums are usually pretty brutal aswell.

Drum and Bass is a bit more recent, and tends to be much cleaner, maybe with more real musical influences, jazz is the main one. LTJ Bukem is a Drum and Bass producer - it's just a bit more chilled.

I just love the beat that they use in both of the above. It is so simple, yet so brilliant.

As I said it is just all music, if like it, listen to it.

CHEERS

Message 10/14                 Date: 27-Oct-00  @  01:54 AM   -   RE: Now here's a goofyass question...

BJT

Good Answer  

Pages: 1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum