0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: Why do people DJ live?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message 1/51                 Date: 31-Mar-00  @  04:38 AM   -   Why do people DJ live?

nickdej

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Why is it that when electronic music is played live that people use records? Wouldnt it make more sense to use a keyboard? Could somebody please explain this to me

Thanks

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/51                 Date: 31-Mar-00  @  12:27 PM   -   RE: Why do people DJ live?

damballah

Link?:  Link

The DJ is the STAR, and doncha fergit it. That's because the TURNTABLE is a MUSICAL INSTRUMENT that takes years of DEDICATION and STUDY to MASTER. That is unless you're LUCKY enough to be born a JAPANESE GIRL. Then your PARENTS can enroll you in the SUZUKI METHOD and you could be a 5-year-old VIRTUOSO TURNTABLIST.

Message 3/51                 Date: 01-Apr-00  @  02:21 AM   -   RE: Why do people DJ live?

nobody

Roc Raida, Kid Capri, these guys rock fuck, damn. jeez-o-man.

them's using them as musical instruments, & i tend to think they play live to get their rorks arfin' and to have fun, which might be what john always thinks. or whatever..

some dj's play live to get money, or free drugs, or girls, or guys, or more drugs, or because they can't stand NOT being the center of attention, and because THEIR music IS THE SHIT so don't deny the skills of EVERY FUCK DJ out there.. haha..

but kid capri rocks. and there's of course a ton more that aren't near favorite or something fishy like tuna fish.. or sushi, that's fishy. unless it has egg instead of fish. that's farked in it's bononoclopa>>> wee all knew, little little people, laughing about us day & night. we could always fark them the foke up with just a little static shock; were they such sensitive electronic devices? i thought they was lil' people, like them.. borrowers or littles or supimim supplement.. borrowers piss me off. john goodman to save the day; social lubricant. fark bono; the edge.. U2 tyke klyne UBERZEGUNSKRAFT

Message 4/51                 Date: 01-Apr-00  @  04:43 PM   -   RE: Why do people DJ live?

SB

"Why do they use records instead of keyboards?"

Think about it...have you ever tried to spin a keyboard on a set of 1200s?

Message 5/51                 Date: 01-Apr-00  @  06:01 PM   -   Koala permit acquisition in the US

nobody

needle just skips all over the place. it sucks.. ruins your stylus.

same thing happens (somewhat) when elvenkynde forgets the record & cues up a slipmat.. mm.. fuzzy & harshh, hurts ears.

Message 6/51                 Date: 02-Apr-00  @  12:46 AM   -   RE: Why do people DJ live?

nickdej

Still dont answer my question, I aint dissing djing.
Just want to learn more about it. It just seems weird to spin a record, when you could be sequencing it LIVE on your keyboard. Could somebody fill me in on why this is and possible sites that explain Djing.

Thanks

Message 7/51                 Date: 02-Apr-00  @  03:42 AM   -   RE: Why do people DJ live?

ellipsis

www.turntablism.com

they o it because it allows them to manipulate the music even further....instead of using keyboards to play notes, they use songs that have already been made and realeased, and reagrrange, edit, and scratch those songs into, hopoefully, something greater than the origional song...the dj 's goal (at most) is to provide the listener a greater experience than the source songs, keep the dancefloor happinen, keep the energy up, make people enjoy themselves, make the songs flow into one another, and provide goos sonic enjoyment...the music-producer's goal is to express themselves.

this is jsut the way i see things
,p>
ellipsis

Message 8/51                 Date: 02-Apr-00  @  04:56 PM   -   RE: Why do people DJ live?

k

hmm.. well take our keyboard/s and try to make it/them play two different tracks with different sounds and different production & different mixes seamlessly merged into each other.. now repeat that times 40.. sure... people, individual artists, play live sets of their own material, but generally Dj's play material by all different artists

Message 9/51                 Date: 05-Apr-00  @  10:59 PM   -   RE: Why do people DJ live?

jj

I knew a legend turntabalist, with a collection that gets written about, everywhere this guyed go, you hear squeak squeak squeak. One dAy i Can take it no more, I'm like wtf is that sound, he pulls his hand out of his pocket and es gota little squeazy thing from the 70's that you use to build up yer 4arms. Guys not muscle dude at all (small an wimpy(looking) kinda). he just worked nearly every minute of day to stay on top. This is just a phys aspect. dude's listened to more music than i'll ever, with a deeeeeeeep understanding of what makes music work. On top of this, a master showman that kan sculpt a crowds mental state like oldmasters used oil or marble. Props to this guy too cause his head was well within acceptible bounds. Thats where most dj's loose it, in the head. But wouldn't you too if you were getting your dick sucked 24/7?

Message 10/51                 Date: 11-Apr-00  @  08:04 AM   -   RE: Why do people DJ live?

Pongoid

Link?: Link

Q: Why is it that when electronic music is played live that people use records?"

A: It's not. It's simply manipulated recordings of other people's stuff.

I can't remember which thread it was, but I kind laid out my point of view on the DJ/strap-on concept, and it still seems to hold. Anybody else remember which thread that was? I enjoy DJ's showcasing good music, especially some of the archivist/manipulators that I know, but it ain't the same as somebody doin it for real, representin their own sounds and arrangements.

Ape

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 51 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum