0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: 01v or more outboard gear??

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/29                 Date: 08-Feb-01  @  11:28 AM   -   01v or more outboard gear??

fink

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

i need more effects, another compressor and a patchbay. so more outboard gear as i'm lacking in that dept.

however, i also want an o1v mixer but financially i'm not quite ready.

so should i put the money for the outboard gear towards the 01v instead.

i underatdn the 01v has effects, compressors and an internal patchbay. can anyone tell me the quality of the 01v in relation to some half decent outboard gear.

does the 01v have seperate compressions and effects on each channel??

is the patchbay a pain??

thanks for your advice

fink

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/29                 Date: 08-Feb-01  @  01:05 PM   -   RE: 01v or more outboard gear??

gb

The 01v has separate compression and 4-band parametric eq on all channels.

It has two effects to be shared between all channels.

I don't think you can use it as a patchbay - it doesn't have that many outs.

Message 3/29                 Date: 08-Feb-01  @  05:07 PM   -   RE: 01v or more outboard gear??

fink

i heard somewhere it has an internal patchbay routing type thing??

i also read on this forum that someone sold their compressors once they got the 01v. are they any good??

Message 4/29                 Date: 08-Feb-01  @  05:16 PM   -   RE: 01v or more outboard gear??

casparproject

supposedly they do the job (the
compressors) the internal patchin for
efx and compression would probly
do away with your need for a
patchbay for the time being, i say get
the 01v

Peaceout

Message 5/29                 Date: 08-Feb-01  @  05:46 PM   -   RE: 01v or more outboard gear??

Jasper

they said the compressors are perfect - that is they don't have character that a valve would have but they do what they are supposed to and very well.

besides, a mastering compressor that colours the sound in a good way is going to be like 2 grand or something.

Message 6/29                 Date: 08-Feb-01  @  08:10 PM   -   RE: 01v or more outboard gear??

Rowboffin

Just to be clear: only the 14 analogue channels (12 mono, 2 stereo) have dynamics processors and 4-band eq; the optional in boards (ADAT, analogue, TDIF etc.) don't have access to the dynamics and only have two band eq BUT any (or all) option channels can be swapped with a normal channel and thus gain access to four-band eq and dynamics, although of course the normal channel only then has access to 2-band eq and no dynamics. The effect sends also have 4-band fully parametric eq.

The routing in the 01V is quite flexible but that's nothing to do with any internal patchbay or anything. I think its misleading to think of it that way.

I'd say go for the 01V and supplement later with outboard compressors, effects and eq as needed. Even if you later decide to get a more obvious compressor that won't render the inbuilt dynamics useless: having gates on all the analogue ins is always going to be useful for a start.

Message 7/29                 Date: 09-Feb-01  @  06:06 AM   -   RE: 01v or more outboard gear??

influx

Link?:  Link

not much point in havin that much outboard stuff really anyway cuz there are no inserts...

but you can always go through stuff...

as for to buy or not to buy? just..really...with all the features packed into that mixer...it is a HELL of a deal.

the compressors do what theyre meant to do. reduce dynamics. you can totally kill a sound, open it all the way up, make it pump etc ...

and...hehe...horizens is selling his..one with the 8 analog expansion card...

horizens?

Message 8/29                 Date: 09-Feb-01  @  11:02 AM   -   RE: 01v or more outboard gear??

fink

horizens???

Message 9/29                 Date: 09-Feb-01  @  08:14 PM   -   RE: 01v or more outboard gear??

johnny

I think it's worth pointing out that the dynamics don't just mean compressors; on each of the 16 input channels, 4 aux sends and stereo output you can have any one of the following:

Compressor

Gate

Ducker

Expander

Hard Compander

Soft Compander

The companders are incredibly potent, brilliant for sampled breaks. Makes them sound 10 times larger than life, punchy, snappy, you name it. Selecting one of these gives you combined compression, expansion and limiting to do with as you please. The difference between the hard and soft compander is just the expansion ratio - 1.5:1 for the soft, 5:1 for the hard.

Get an 01V, get an 01V...

Message 10/29                 Date: 09-Feb-01  @  09:42 PM   -   RE: 01v or more outboard gear??

influx

Link?:  Link

good point johnny. ever the O1v proponent

Horizens is a cat that comes here sometimes...

his email is..uh..digitalrust@earthlink.net

got two O1vs in fine condition and one 8 input analog card. homey wants an O2r

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 29 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum