0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: mastering in wavelab

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11                 Date: 13-Jan-01  @  08:43 AM   -   mastering in wavelab

phunkytek

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I get my mixes sounding nice and then it's on to mastering. The only mastering effect i've gotten to help my music is the peak master. It offers loudness maximization. Great, my songs sound like well mixed demo's , not warm full Ibiza ready tracks. I have magneto, & free filter. Do I need a multiband compression plug-in. Is there a book on useing wavlab to master dance music. I just don't know what order you put these effects in to get the profesional results wavelab is claimed to offer and won awards for. I love the way the tracks on the Sasha Ibiza sound. Disc 2 Track 03 in particular. How do i get it? If you know , explain from square one, with bass eq and drum levels in relation to the pads and pretty arps, and the flat compressed hats.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/11                 Date: 15-Jan-01  @  09:38 PM   -   RE: mastering in wavelab

phunkytek

just wanted to keep this thread fresh as it is an important subject for me.

Message 3/11                 Date: 16-Jan-01  @  01:12 AM   -   RE: mastering in wavelab

influx

Link?:  Link

man...I hate to say it but I really doubt that most of those people did their tracks on a bedroom studio.

have you tried or seen T-racks?

and aside from that..i also doubt those guys did the mastering themselves, either. See..the thing is...theres this MYTH about "DIY" bedroom studios. Its prevalent in the electronic scene, but rarely is the stuff you hear, the stuff that youre comparing yours too, bedroom production!!

Im not saying you cant get good sound out of a small rig. well know you can. but...whats sad is that we end up thinking "damn how come I dont sound like that?" and it really does come down to a matter of gear!

someone tell me Im wrong

Message 4/11                 Date: 16-Jan-01  @  04:42 AM   -   RE: mastering in wavelab

phunkytek

chicane tracks his songs in VST. I'm sure a pro master house is doing the rest, but i need to get my tracks sounding good because my maneger is trying to get my stuff on a mixed compilation by a well known DJ. should i just let the label I send it to worry about that. Craig anderton and other writers for KB mag uses wave lab to do pro mastering. I mean they get paid to do it. So where to begin, and why doesn't free filter and those mastering plugins come with some examples for diferant styles?

Message 5/11                 Date: 16-Jan-01  @  04:48 AM   -   RE: mastering in wavelab

phunkytek

BTW, I have nice digital monitors, a professionaly acoustic treated room, yamaha o1v, DS2416 mixing card, cubase VST, wavlab, a zillion plugins(mostly crap) magneto and freefilter work nicely, and an arsonal of synths. I want to know more about the mastering process from where to begin to finishing it off. I did a search on Barnes $ nobel and nothing came up. Is there a title out there I should be looking for.

Message 6/11                 Date: 16-Jan-01  @  06:23 PM   -   RE: mastering in wavelab

influx

hmmm. have you just tried a websearch on "mastering"?

or maybe you could email or call KB, Mix, SOS, etc? Im sure they would be willing.

I think part of what GOOD mastering is is specialization. Fine tuning, ya know?

I certainly didnt mean to try to sound negative..its just that...it strikes me as odd how theres that whole DIY thing but then the majority of stuff out there is not DIY bedroom

sounds like you have a hell of a rig there. manager? sheesh. See..for comps I dont think the label will pay to have your material mixed. A good label would do that but I think compilations are different

Message 7/11                 Date: 16-Jan-01  @  06:25 PM   -   RE: mastering in wavelab

influx

oh also...
when uberzone did "space kadet" EP. he used a Seck 18:8:2 and an ESI32 and a couple of synths. no digital audio. samples of synth parts, etc. mixed it himself but had it mastered by a pro for City Of Angels.

so actually..good sound can be had with limited setup. we all know that....sometimes I think mastering is maybe smoke and mirrors, too.

Message 8/11                 Date: 17-Jan-01  @  04:12 PM   -   RE: mastering in wavelab

dance, rummy!

I'm not a pro, but I've had some success using the following plugins in Wavelab's master section (in this order):

1) final EQ (just some small tweaks, if at all)

2) multiband compressor

3) limiter/loudness maximizer

For the multiband, I use the $39 plug in from www.db-audioware.com. great product, outstanding price.

for the loudness maximizer/limiter, I use Waves L1.

of course, this has nothing to do with mixing. this is just the very last treatment to the mixdown.

good luck.

Message 9/11                 Date: 17-Jan-01  @  04:15 PM   -   RE: mastering in wavelab

dance, rummy!

I forgot to mention that you should stick magneto in the chain before the multiband.. I hear it's really good.

Message 10/11                 Date: 18-Jan-01  @  08:26 AM   -   RE: mastering in wavelab

phunkytek

My mixes are fine, I just want to hone in on mastering ,. I'm a control freak and I want it doen my way by me. I know It will take me twice as long, but the knowledge i'll gain will pay off. My freinf was in Southside Reverb on some of the tracks. He was telling me they just mixed it and gave it to ESP Sun . They did some minor mastering and released it. I went back and listened to this old trakc and realized you could here how spiky it was. I always had trouble mixing it in clean at the club because it had some hot peaks, but vinyl is so much more open than CD audio. It just sounds better on a PA. Anyone who says a cd sounds better in a club is crazy unless it is a vinyl track recorded to CD and uncompressed. I gues i should start submitting these tracks. I have a freind who is signed and they do his mastering in Sweden. I'll let them figure it out for now, but I do want to learn the mastering technique. I was looking in Mix and at the Studio profile section where they have all the studio adds, and one of the studios said they used the spectral design system. I don't think they meant master suit either. Does spectral design make anykind of high end mastering hardware or software that isn't marketed through steinberg?

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum