0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: punchy kick drums

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message 1/59                 Date: 29-Nov-00  @  03:16 PM   -   punchy kick drums

bassbrap

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

how do i make my kick drums sound better? i have been trying everything: eq, hp filter, compression, adding transient waves in tune with the bassline.... no matter how hard i try, my kicks sound all muddy in the mix, i cannot get that good "thud", nor can i get the kick to blend well with the bass. i usually use 909 samples or other 909-type kicks running out of my ASR-10.

thanks

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/59                 Date: 29-Nov-00  @  04:55 PM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

mitub

There was a discussion ages ago about crunchy drum noises, try searching for 'CRUNCHY DRUM SOUNDS' in the main forum.

All this has been said before but hey.

I generally trigger another fairly subtle noise along with a fairly dull kick (currently favoring a sharp rim with the eq cutting off the high frequencies), this kind of gives the initial punch noise and the underlying drum kind of carries the bass past the initial kick. You can also apply fx to the rim (or whatever noise you use) seperatly to the kick. Also, if the drum is sounding really muddy, try cutting the *really* low frequencies with a decent filter, I didn't realise how much subsonic noise I had on my kicks until I took my kit round to a friends house where he had a proper PA system, cutting it made the world of difference and it also lets the bassline shine through.

If you haven't already tried it, you could give Stomper Ultra a go, a free PC drum synth that exports WAVs. I'd be very curious to know how some of the pro's do it, especially the NU-NRG type kick thats common with Nukleuz and the like at the moment. Anybody?

Message 3/59                 Date: 29-Nov-00  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

bassbrap

i'll check out that forum... I'll also try a "clickey" type sound over it.

i have stomper and have just started actually using it some. that was what i have been using to double the kick in tune with the bass.

sorry to be ignorant, but what is NU-NRG? i live a sheltered life in the central us.

thanks

Message 4/59                 Date: 30-Nov-00  @  01:01 AM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

influx

Link?:  Link

wouldnt sampling something that already sounds punchy work? ASR 10 is supposed to have a good warm sound, so..

if you found a drumsound that sounds like you like it, and sampled it at the right level and all...it should sound good. with no more processing necessary except to taste?

Message 5/59                 Date: 30-Nov-00  @  01:48 AM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

bassbrap

i guess i could just sample from a record or cd, but i am weary of sampling others' music. i might give it a shot though. i just get hung up on trying not to use the same sounds.

Message 6/59                 Date: 30-Nov-00  @  06:45 AM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

damballah

Link?:  Link

it's mostly eq. you probably have some frequencies needing cut, that usually cleans up mud.

Message 7/59                 Date: 30-Nov-00  @  10:29 AM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

mitub

What is NU-NRG? Its a decendent of hardhouse dance music doing the rounds in the uk, I personally love it, really energy oriented, a little more streamlined than HH; ehmmm... don't really know how to explain it. If you're interested, check out the nu-nrg section at this website.

www.bangingtunes.com

(you can search for HardHouse, NU-NRG, Trance, HardTrance, AcidTechno or Psychodelic tracks by artist / name released over the last few years and listen to them as well)

Message 8/59                 Date: 30-Nov-00  @  10:48 AM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

teemu

"wouldnt sampling something that already sounds punchy work?"

I wouldn't advice to sample everything. It's SO easy to just sample a well-produced record and never learn how to do it by yourself. There are already millions of artists sounding alike and it only seems to get worse. The sampling technology was supposed to break boundaries, not make them. The same with computers, they could make computers do anything but instead they make programs that emulate 20 years old synths or programs that create "music" by choosing which loop to use.

Don't sample, do it on your own. Or if you sample, be creative. Don't sample a house record if you want to make a house record, it is lame. Sample something and turn it into something completely different. That's what the original hip hop culture was about, using old funk records to create something new. Nothing new has happened in the last 8-10 years though... sad, really.

Yes, I am a nazi ;)

Message 9/59                 Date: 30-Nov-00  @  03:13 PM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

bassbrap

that is basically my opinion on sampling as well, teemu, you nazi.

NU-NRG....interesting, sounds like a cross between hard house, trance, with a little bit of speed garage and hardcore. can't say i've heard anything like it here in the states, but then again i don't get out much.

peace

Message 10/59                 Date: 30-Nov-00  @  04:57 PM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

k

Nothing new has happened in the last 8-10 years though...

!???! - huh?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 59 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum