0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: How to put your Gains,and instruments

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/25                 Date: 16-Nov-00  @  06:35 PM   -   How to put your Gains,and instruments

ME

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

hi,..i am a totally newbie,..and wanted to know how to setup your gain's on your mixing desk,..and at what level to put your instruments on,..and must i stay below the 0db level at my mixing desk,.
can anyone give me some beginners tips,..or an review at an Url please

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/25                 Date: 16-Nov-00  @  10:08 PM   -   RE: How to put your Gains,and instruments

Defector Z

Link?: Link

You'll want to keep your levels as high as possible, without clipping, at all points. On my gear, every volume on each piece is set on max. This way, I have the biggest signal OUT of the instrument, and then I adjust the input gain on the mixer as high as possible, without clipping. This means I have a high signal to noise ratio (you will too ;-). Does that make the least bit of sense? I could be more helpful if I knew what you had for gear, so I could more specific.

Message 3/25                 Date: 17-Nov-00  @  01:08 PM   -   RE: How to put your Gains,and instruments

ME

i have an yamaha mx400 16-4 mixing desk
roland jv1080
roland tr707
yamaha mu-90R
yamaha Cs1x
akai s2000
virus B
terratec ews64 Xl
behringer ultrafex pro
behringer composer pro
and soft synths useing cubase VST 5

Message 4/25                 Date: 17-Nov-00  @  01:10 PM   -   RE: How to put your Gains,and instruments

ME

and of course my lexicon mpx100

Message 5/25                 Date: 17-Nov-00  @  01:34 PM   -   RE: How to put your Gains,and instruments

Defector Z

You have all that shit and you're a total newbie?!?!?!?! WTF?!

Message 6/25                 Date: 17-Nov-00  @  02:38 PM   -   RE: How to put your Gains,and instruments

Me

not really a newbie,..i just have a feeling that i don't use enough of what i should do,.my mixes keep sounding a bit raw
give me your email and i send you a piece of my new track
maybe you can give some advice
my email is vijgeboom@superweb.nl
myabe whe can stay in touch

Message 7/25                 Date: 22-Nov-00  @  12:58 AM   -   RE: How to put your Gains,and instruments

k

as a generalisation yes, but not always, sometimes ramming a sound well into distortion at the gain end is the sound, cos then you can 'tune' it with the eq controls of course !!!  .. i do that alot on drums and basses.

Message 8/25                 Date: 22-Nov-00  @  05:34 AM   -   RE: How to put your Gains,and instruments

Defector Z

And that also destroys gear that was bought with blood sweat and tears. ;-) I wouldn't RECOMMEND that, but have used that method to get some phat-ass sounds.

Message 9/25                 Date: 22-Nov-00  @  06:21 PM   -   RE: How to put your Gains,and instruments

k

no.... why would it destroy anything pumping the gain?

Message 10/25                 Date: 23-Nov-00  @  08:50 AM   -   RE: How to put your Gains,and instruments

teemu

It is a fact that overdriving the gains can blow up the channels. Good mixers are probably designed to take anything you can feed them but cheap mixers use cheap components that can't take that much punishment. Channel one on my Behringer MX2642A doesn't work anymore and that is the channel I always had my kick drums on...

The lesson? Don't buy cheap mixers =)

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 25 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum