0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: How to make live gear to sound like vinyl ?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/13                 Date: 28-Dec-99  @  09:51 AM   -   How to make live gear to sound like vinyl ?

nlcos409

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

For me making music is a hobby so I have no mixing/FX knowledge. Everything I produce on my JOMOX Xbase drummachine, MC303, TX81Z, Behringer MX1602 mixer, 2 Nanoverbs and 1 Nanocompressor sounds flat, thin and weak compared to the music I hear on records. How do I make what I produce live on my equipment sound phat, thumping, full without too much additional costs? Please help me !!!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/13                 Date: 28-Dec-99  @  01:18 PM   -   RE: How to make live gear to sound like vinyl ?

mikec

Link?: Link

That's a very general question with no specific answer.

You need lots of time, lots of experimentation.

Or buy a TC Finalizer.  

Check the Dancetech Articles for basic tips.

EQ and sound selection are very important. Compression is highly useful too. You should be able to get a decent sound out of what you have. It will take you time to learn though.

MikeC

Message 3/13                 Date: 28-Dec-99  @  02:31 PM   -   RE: How to make live gear to sound like vinyl ?

R-Tek

Yeah, the stuff that comes out on vinyl has been mastered, remember. And maybe a better compressor would help, as well. That nu Joe Meek comp/channel strip looks well tasty.

Message 4/13                 Date: 29-Dec-99  @  10:23 PM   -   RE: How to make live gear to sound like vinyl ?

k

are you listening to the vinyl on the same system/speakers etc as the music kit ?

Message 5/13                 Date: 30-Dec-99  @  10:45 AM   -   RE: How to make live gear to sound like vinyl ?

nlcos409

Thanks everyone ! I have been studying the compressor tips on this site and the sound is improving. I managed to produce some awsome kickdrums, but this would mean I need a separate compressor for every single sound and one for the total mix. Is this right ? 'K', I do use the same amplifier for making music and listening to it so it should sound the same (more or less)

Message 6/13                 Date: 30-Dec-99  @  02:48 PM   -   RE: How to make live gear to sound like vinyl ?

mikec

A compressor on every instrument and for the final mix is ideal.  

Don't forget that a kick drum (for example) is a single one shot sound that is usually the same throughout the song. In this case, you can just re-sample the compressed sound and free up your compresssor.

MikeC

Message 7/13                 Date: 05-Jan-00  @  09:18 PM   -   RE: How to make live gear to sound like vinyl ?

Ellipsis

a good cheap e.q. can do wonders...

Message 8/13                 Date: 06-Jan-00  @  06:02 AM   -   RE: How to make live gear to sound like vinyl ?

nlcos409

Can you buy EQ as a seperate unit ? If so, any suggestions, brands etc ?

Message 9/13                 Date: 07-Jan-00  @  04:46 PM   -   RE: How to make live gear to sound like vinyl ?

mikec

I used to have an Alesis MEQ-230 which was good. It's a graphic EQ though, and not parametric which makes editing a little more difficult. Once you get the right setting though, you can pretty much leave it as it is to affect the whole mix. I managed to get a good enhanced sound out of it by fiddling for a few hours.

Go to the Sound On Sound site and do a search for Parametric EQ. You'll find lots of articles/reviews there.

MikeC

Message 10/13                 Date: 08-Jan-00  @  06:37 AM   -   RE: How to make live gear to sound like vinyl ?

nlcos409

thanks MikeC, you're the best !

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum