0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Does This Sound Like a Good Setup?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/13                 Date: 20-Dec-99  @  08:35 PM   -   Does This Sound Like a Good Setup?

Danny

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

2 Gemini Turntables
The PS 626 3 channel mixer from Gemini
An just a cheap midi and sampler (MC 303 and a SP 202)

I already own the 303, 202, and mixer. I was lookin at a few turntables. A Pair of Gemini ones (200 each) look good, but you guys know more then me i am sure.

If this is ok please tell me or if you think i should change some stuff or recommend different things please do. Just keep in mind i am on a slight budget so like 2000$ units are out.

Thank you in advance!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/13                 Date: 23-Dec-99  @  01:46 PM   -   RE: Does This Sound Like a Good Setup?

k

dunno how much Numark TT1 costs where you are - they got rated well against the technics as an actual competitor product as opposed to a cheaper lesser quality item, - in the uk they are like 299 ish, but maybe less in $ stateside - Numark are worth a look anyways -

Message 3/13                 Date: 13-Jan-00  @  09:21 AM   -   RE: Does This Sound Like a Good Setup?

eddie

ANYTHING ELSE IS CRAP EXCEPT TECHNICS AND VESTAX...

Message 4/13                 Date: 09-Feb-00  @  01:50 PM   -   RE: Does This Sound Like a Good Setup?

Swarm

I'd avoid gemini. Now that the technics patent is expired there are some tempting turn tables. Take the spec on a 1200 and shop around.

You might consider Cd-100s instead.

Since it sounds like you aren't a dj the cd would probably be more useful. Either way, get 1 and see how it fits in before buying a second.

I've not been overly happy with my numark mixer. Bad sliders.

Message 5/13                 Date: 15-Feb-00  @  03:44 PM   -   RE: Does This Sound Like a Good Setup?

coreback

"ANYTHING ELSE IS CRAP EXCEPT TECHNICS AND VESTAX... "

Are you mad ?
Haven't you ever tried those Dynacords ?
When they were in production they costed 2 times an MK2 I think. I tried them once and thought they were the best...

Go Technics anyway!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 6/13                 Date: 16-Feb-00  @  08:39 PM   -   RE: Does This Sound Like a Good Setup?

k

i just read it in a mag, two full time dj's tried the numark against the technics, they both said that it took some time to get used to the numark but that is was ok - trouble is, if you practice with numark then all the clubs have technics?????.. aha! - you might as well train on the instrument you plan to perform on eh?

Message 7/13                 Date: 23-Feb-00  @  09:23 AM   -   RE: Does This Sound Like a Good Setup?

eddie

K is probably right, but there is a technics or nothin thin going on, like everyone comparing everything to tb303, everyone is comparing all turntables 1200s anyways, you shoul definetly check the new vestax line up, i read reviews and it is actually up to technics, even some people think it pisses on technics (dont know, never touched one, i am not a turntablist).
Hope you get a good deal, good luck.

Message 8/13                 Date: 08-Mar-00  @  12:05 PM   -   RE: Does This Sound Like a Good Setup?

daniel_muhr

If you are going for cd100 like Swarm@warpcore.provalue.net said, then remember to see how they work with cdrs.
My experience is that Technics sux bigtime when it comes to reading a cdr.
Good luck !

Message 9/13                 Date: 12-Mar-00  @  05:45 PM   -   RE: Does This Sound Like a Good Setup?

R-Tek

Link?: Link

I still love Technics - they NEVER let u down and last a lifetime (well, almost). Check the above link anyway, in the equipment section they review a few of the contenders from a turntablists viewpoint. The Gemini mixers aint exactly wonderfull either - I`m desperate 2 get rid of my 676, but I can`t afford 2 upgrade right now.....still, at least they`re well built and sound ok.

Message 10/13                 Date: 03-Apr-00  @  05:50 PM   -   RE: Does This Sound Like a Good Setup?

dj spinback

Link?: Link

yep, technics all the way.

depends on a few things tho....

if you are a beginner and never touched technics/vestax before youll probably enjoy yourself even on the cheap nasty ones. Although in saying that if you want to learn how to mix properly youll probably find cheap dex very limiting as half the time they are at fault for fucking up your mix. Ive been mixing for 10 years now and i know when i listen to some of my old tapes you can hear the decks speed fluxuating slightly when left untouched.

If you plan to get out onto the dj circuit then get a set of rock solid technics straight away, like k says train on the instrument you plan to perform on. New vestax stuff is comparable to technics but 99 percent of the clubs will be using technics which is why they are still so popular among bedroom/pro dj's

If you cant afford a new set of 1200/1210's and decide to go second hand make sure you dont buy from a hip/hop - turntablist because they will have been hammered to death, stick to buying from someone whos been mixing(house, garage, techno etc..)

maybe think of the solid timing off a good set of decks like a well set up tight midi beat e.g

technics - properly set-up g4/logic - tight solid constant beats.

cheap decks - badly set-up p100/cubasis/cheap midi soundcard - wobbly straying beats,not really staying in sync.

maybe a bit extreme but you get the idea.

hope this helps.

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum