0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: digital or analog?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/15                 Date: 26-Oct-99  @  11:43 PM   -   digital or analog?

mc1674

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I am just starting out mixing dance music would i be better useing a digital
or anaolg mixer and what kind would be good?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/15                 Date: 27-Oct-99  @  06:22 AM   -   RE: digital or analog?

gee

Hi-end digital consoles from yamaha are pretty good,d.m.c 1000, 02R, however most dance is mixed on analog consoles because they retain the warmth plus are much cheaper however noise levels are higher, most people like to use the mackie, or soundcraft. If you have the money, go for a protools system with 3 888`s converters. IF you want to compliment it further with a console, get a digital console with multiple digital buss outs, and digital inputs(d.m.c 1000, if you can find one) and you got yourself a trully pro rig good to mix anything.

Message 3/15                 Date: 27-Oct-99  @  11:01 AM   -   RE: digital or analog?

roller8

I've owned a Yammie 01V for a bit having stepped up from an analog (Mackie) and I've had nothing but great results with it. I think maybe we give the regular listening audience way too much credit. Digital sounds good and automation, onboard FX, EQ and dynamics is very convenient and cost effective.

You CAN rock the house with a good digital mixer.....

Message 4/15                 Date: 27-Oct-99  @  11:30 AM   -   RE: digital or analog?

Gee

01V IS OKAY, EXCEPT IT HAS NOT GOT ANY HEAD-ROOM, PLUS IS A BITCH IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE OUT-BOARD DYNAMICS IN THE COMVENTIONAL ENGINEERING APPROACH. I USED ONE AND WAS NOT HAPPY WITH IT.(SOUND IS GOOD THOUGH)

Message 5/15                 Date: 27-Oct-99  @  08:34 PM   -   RE: digital or analog?

k

true, you cant for example drive a digital mixer input to fuck to get booming kik-drums or bass

Message 6/15                 Date: 27-Oct-99  @  09:48 PM   -   RE: digital or analog?

mc1674

thanks for the advise all.looks like i am leaning more towards analog.
(mackie) I guess? Maybe the 1402 vlz
pro?Any one know a good one to get?

Message 7/15                 Date: 28-Oct-99  @  01:09 PM   -   RE: digital or analog?

roller8

Sorry, it's true. There is no such thing as headroom with digital. The object is to push it as close to max without clipping it. That's true with anything digital, however.

Message 8/15                 Date: 29-Oct-99  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: digital or analog?

R-Tek

Theres nothing pretty about digital distortion

Message 9/15                 Date: 01-Nov-99  @  10:27 AM   -   RE: digital or analog?

ivan

Try to find a used CR1604 or CR1604 VLZ, you won't need those esoteric mic preamps for dance music anyway.

Message 10/15                 Date: 03-Nov-99  @  07:43 AM   -   RE: digital or analog?

Will

I'd just go for a nice clean analog mixer. Some digital studio's spend alot of time and money using FX to get that warmth that the loose through mixing digital. And yeah...digital distortion is harsh, but analog distortion can be creative. Like to fatten a kick or overdrive a 303 line like in 'higher state of consiousness'....

Pages: 1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum