0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: MIXING TIPS

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/13                 Date: 27-Sep-99  @  03:38 PM   -   MIXING TIPS

K

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

well, add one if you're passin bye...here's one..
when i'm creating a sound, i put on the NF monitors... then switch to a small pair of AIWA plastic pc speakers to create the sequencing etc - linear work... occaisionally i go to the NF's... and INSTANTLY, i can hear something needing adjustment... soon as it's done, switch back...

using the small plastic speakers, forces me to compose at a low volume so when i want detail, it is instant impressions... always the best, cos 'lingering' over details in a mix can be missleading, you start to create things in your mind... all our ears are capable of filtering out frequencies to 'tune-in' to a sound in a mix... (more pronounced on certain drugs)... so listening too long, you start to 'create' unrelated in our mind... sometimes... not a generalisation.. but it's worth a shot..

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/13                 Date: 01-Oct-99  @  04:14 PM   -   Please help me!!!!

PhazingPhuture

Why can't I make my mix sound professional??

I've got an Akai s3000xl, a Yamaha Promix01 and a few synths.

Message 3/13                 Date: 04-Oct-99  @  11:49 AM   -   RE: MIXING TIPS

k

depends what you mean by 'professional' ?

Message 4/13                 Date: 04-Oct-99  @  02:41 PM   -   MORE MIXING TIPS

coreback

Are headphones reliable for mixing ? Its true listening for along time to the same loops disturb the way sounds are perceived.

I don't have monitors, only a 2 way Altec PA speaker... which is bit loud for a neighborhood...
When recording on minidisc, the problem is with low frequency : I just can't "seem" to get enough of it. That is , there's not enough low end when listening with small shitty sony mini headphones out of the MD, but it's with Sennheiser headphones...

Thomas

Message 5/13                 Date: 04-Oct-99  @  02:43 PM   -   RE: MIXING TIPS

coreback

shit : I mean it's ok with the sennheiser headphones!

Message 6/13                 Date: 06-Oct-99  @  08:27 AM   -   RE: MIXING TIPS

ragnardb

Link?: Link

For good mixing use Technics turntabels because they are strong enough and use a mixer of Numark of Gemini

Greats Master Ragnar

Message 7/13                 Date: 07-Oct-99  @  03:24 AM   -   RE: MIXING TIPS

k

what planet is he on??.... those little walkman 'phones always reduce bass - forget 'em - if you have to use cans use good ones - but dont use 'em if possible get some small nearfields

Message 8/13                 Date: 07-Oct-99  @  03:34 PM   -   RE: MIXING TIPS

roller8

Try boosting EQ on vocals, hi hats, lead synths, etc. at around 10 - 12 kHz a little to add that pro "sheen".

Message 9/13                 Date: 12-Oct-99  @  08:33 PM   -   RE: MIXING TIPS

jdobbs2001

buy a db level meter and set yourself up playing a test track up at 80db A weighted so you can level out the ears.
make sure when you mix you only work with the levels (dont eq) use compression when the mix is lopsided, take frequent ear breaks,
get some decent monitors.

Message 10/13                 Date: 15-Oct-99  @  05:51 PM   -   RE: MIXING TIPS

roller8

Use only good quality shielded cables for your connects....I switched them out as I could afford to do so and it made a HUGE difference. My mixes got so much quieter. That way you can add noise by choice rather than by force...  

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum