0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Insert here?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/14                 Date: 20-Sep-99  @  01:57 PM   -   Insert here?

cutoff_freq

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

can some one please explain to me what the inserts are for on a mixer? i read somewhere that these are where dynamic processors should be patched. is this true?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/14                 Date: 20-Sep-99  @  03:25 PM   -   RE: Insert here?

horizens

yes. or effects/outboard gear. they send signals 2 way- to your outboard gear and then back into the mixer.

kilo's written up a good article on mixing under "mixers and mixing." have a look see up there.

Message 3/14                 Date: 22-Sep-99  @  01:12 PM   -   RE: Insert here?

cutoff_freq

i still dont get it. the articles on this page didn't say much about it.

Message 4/14                 Date: 22-Sep-99  @  07:21 PM   -   RE: Insert here?

k

for inserts - see the ARTICLE - PATCHBAYS R US... all explained with image i think if i remember right... it certainly explains inserts

Message 5/14                 Date: 22-Sep-99  @  07:26 PM   -   RE: Insert here?

horizens

damn, sorry. it's been awhile since i read about it here. i knew it was around somewhere.

Message 6/14                 Date: 01-Oct-99  @  03:59 PM   -   RE: Insert here?

99devils

Well, basically, you want to use a channel insert when you want to dedicate an FX box to a single track. You'll probably need a special cable, 1/4" TRS to dual 1/4" plugs. The idea is that you "insert" the processor into the mixer's signal chain, after the pre-amp and usually before the EQ and/or global FX sends.

-Craig

Message 7/14                 Date: 04-Oct-99  @  02:46 PM   -   RE: Insert here?

coreback

It's used for compressors mainly.

I use mine combined with a distorsion rack for my kicks.
Works great : really different from the aux/sends.

thomas

Message 8/14                 Date: 26-Oct-99  @  03:49 PM   -   RE: Insert here?

influx

Link?:  Link

you get a stronger signal off an insert too, dontcha? as opposed to an aux send?

Message 9/14                 Date: 30-Oct-99  @  03:06 PM   -   RE: Insert here?

John

Link?: Link

The signal coming from the insert is pre-eq but it is post-gain/trim. The signal from the aux send is post-eq/gain/trim and can also be tied to the channel fader.

So what am I saying?

Aux sends can have a stronger signal but you'll get more noise with the signal because the it runs through the eq and other circuitry before it is sent out.

The insert just breaks the signal after the gain/trim adjustment. This break allows you to send the signal to outboard gear like compressors, eq's, pitch correctors, limiters, etc. which will effect the entire signal. And then you can use the aux sends to effect the signal even more.

Btw, don't use the fx returns on your mixer to return the signal from the effects processors. Use one of your stereo channel strips.

John

Message 10/14                 Date: 30-Oct-99  @  03:18 PM   -   RE: Insert here?

John

Ooops. I was wrong when I said the Insert is post-gain/trim. The insert breaks the signal after the physical input of the channel strip, and before everything else.

John

Pages: 1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum