0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Mpc 2000 to replace yamaha rm1x?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/22                 Date: 10-Feb-00  @  09:07 PM   -   Mpc 2000 to replace yamaha rm1x?

syrusate

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Ok i use a yamaha rm1x as my main sequncer, but theres just some
stuff i dont like about it, and i also wanna see if im missing out on
anyhting. Someone told me that the akai mpc 2000 or xl,
would make a killer sequencer, not i thought the mpc was just a sampling drum machine, can it be used like a full blown sequencer? And would it kill the rm1x in terms of ease, live use and freedom for creativity? thanks

syrusate

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/22                 Date: 11-Feb-00  @  02:17 PM   -   RE: Mpc 2000 to replace yamaha rm1x?

R-Tek

I know Caspars got both, so you`ll prolly have 2 wait till he shows up 2 get the full lowdown but I`ve heard a coupla people say (I think Defector was on of them) that the Yam has a better sequencer. BUT, and its a big but, that don`t mean theres much wrong with the MPC. Its actually a sequencer first and foremost and a sampling drumbox 2nd, and I can personally vouch 4 the fact thats its a fine sequencer at that. U dont get the realtime controllers that the Yam has (the note variation slider is 4 internal sounds only) and all sequencing is purely text-based (I dunno about the Yam, maybe thats text too) and u get no x0x style drum programming either. BUT u get 32 part, 16 great velocity sensitive rubber pads, a basic sampler that totally kicks arse as far as drums r concerned with some great touches - u can edit each single notes attack, pitch, decay, and filtering all fom the same screen (internal sounds only, of course) without having 2 mess with sysex dumps, controller channels etc. etc. Or u can control any of those parameters on the fly with the note slider. And of course, u can also edit velocity, note length, and the key its in from the same screen on both internal and external sounds. The filter is seriously unspectacular with squeeky rez, but its good enuff 2 take some sheen of some tambourines or a bit of hiss from a sample so its more of a utility piece than a creative tool. It also has swing quantise which can do some incredible shit 2 your drumtrack 2 make it sound more "real2 too. It handles my other sampler and synths admirably with the minimum of hassle (still a few odd bugs, but once u know em it don`t hold u back). I really can`t comment on how it fares up against the RM cos I`ve never been near one, but take it from me, its a great piece, it has its limitations, but its easy 2 learn and use, very tactile and quick 2 get ideas down, I should imagine its a nice piece 4 livework too, but I can`t verify that cos that aint my cup of tea.

Its been around in various forms 4 well over ten years now, and in that time its proved itself 2 b a serious tool, equally at home in the studio as it is live on stage and, course its subjective, but I don`t think ANYTHING out there can touch the MPCs 4 drums, the sound is punchy and tight which cuts right through the mix and whether u want super-tight hardstep riddims or a laid-back stoners beat, this thing delivers with minimal of fuss.

Message 3/22                 Date: 14-Feb-00  @  11:31 AM   -   RE: Mpc 2000 to replace yamaha rm1x?

sand-or

Hello I'm Sandor from the Netherlands
Though I'm not in your discussions at the moment...I want to thank you for them. I'm thinking about buying a sampler for a few months now and reading your questions and answers is helping me a lot.
I Hope to be of help for somebody else in the near future
Sand-or@mail.com

Message 4/22                 Date: 16-Feb-00  @  11:36 AM   -   RE: Mpc 2000 to replace yamaha rm1x?

99devils

Big advantage of the MPC is it's got 2 outs (32 MIDI channels) for its sequencer... RM1X only has 1.

-Craig

Message 5/22                 Date: 26-Jul-01  @  04:27 PM   -   RE: Mpc 2000 to replace yamaha rm1x?

fake

actualy i just got an rm1x because i hate the sequencer in mp mpc200xl. its a 10 year old sequncer, and feels like it. its hard to do stuff on the fly.

Message 6/22                 Date: 01-Aug-01  @  03:15 AM   -   RE: Mpc 2000 to replace yamaha rm1x?

8life8

I actaully got a laptop and a real sampler to replace the mpc, but I'm currently selling that sampler and only keeping the laptop for soundediting and resapling/reproduction of samples for the mpc hehehe .. after two years I'm hoocked, this thing is an true instrument, and the live preformance value of this thing is incredible, it's still my main sequncer (even though I have logic and all the others)... never used the yammy, but there r a lot of things that i don't like about it .. there's nothing I don't like about the mpc sequencer, its simple and it's all about conviniance, the only two things I'd like to c would b selectable cc fade ins/outs, and being abel to jump between song mode and pattern without stopping or at least without haveing to start at step1 every time u enter song mode.. besides that it is the instrument of choice and in whole a very open system...

Message 7/22                 Date: 24-Aug-01  @  08:39 PM   -   RE: Mpc 2000 to replace yamaha rm1x?

influx

Link?:  Link

just got one. need a manual but Im liking what I see so far 

Message 8/22                 Date: 27-Aug-01  @  08:19 AM   -   RE: Mpc 2000 to replace yamaha rm1x?

Maarten

Congrats on your new toy Influx! btw, can't you take the manual off the Akaipro site?

-M-

Message 9/22                 Date: 27-Aug-01  @  11:05 PM   -   RE: Mpc 2000 to replace yamaha rm1x?

influx

yeah, totally, but it prints out fucked up and I dont want to read on the screen. Ill just buy one probably

hehe...altho..I got it for live, and now Im lookin at that yammy. 

Message 10/22                 Date: 31-Aug-01  @  04:01 PM   -   RE: Mpc 2000 to replace yamaha rm1x?

Maarten

If you're talking about purchasing that RS7000 thingy, you should be damned ashamed of your gear-whorism!  
Aww hell, you do what ya feel is best with your dough.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum