0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: just 2 chords needed (for my hit)! :-)

Pages: 1

Original Message 1/8                 Date: 18-Oct-05  @  10:18 AM   -   just 2 chords needed (for my hit)! :-)

Dominic

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Seriously though - gents, I need help with 2 chords in a song I'm struggling to finish. Its just 2 bloody chords and I've spent hours on it now!!! Tried every conceivable variation within my limited musical knowledge. Very frustrating. Obviously the 2 problem areas are the areas with the question marks and are the 2 bars finishing off the verse. I need a progression that will work when the verses play back too back and obviously work when rolling into the chorus. Each verse and chorus is 8 bars.

Bar

1 2 3 4

VERSE

Am /F#m7b5 F /Am /E7+

Am /F#m7b5 F /? /?

CHORUS

F2 Gsus /Am /F2 Gsus /Am

F2 Gsus /Am /F G /Am

The best I've managed to come up with is the "Asus" chord in the last question mark - what the hell works in-between F and an Asus chord!!! I like the vibe of it but everything I've tried just sound cheesy - especially when following the circle of 5th's. You know putting a C chord in the first question mark works but it sounds cheesy and ruins the minor vibe. Any of you proper musicians gizza a hand please?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/8                 Date: 18-Oct-05  @  10:22 AM   -   RE: just 2 chords needed (for my hit)! :-)

Dominic

Hmmmm the post hasn't given me the correct spacing. Bascially the slashes represent the start of each bar in the verse and chorus. Hope it makes sense.

Message 3/8                 Date: 18-Oct-05  @  05:14 PM   -   RE: just 2 chords needed (for my hit)! :-)

milan

Link?: Link

hmm... replacement for Asus? have you tried Acer or Abit?

Message 4/8                 Date: 19-Oct-05  @  02:31 AM   -   RE: just 2 chords needed (for my hit)! :-)

psylichon

It's cliche, but I kinda like going to C for the first ? as long as you go back up to E7 (E major with a minor 7, that is... a dominant chord leading to the false cadence into the F chord of the chorus)

If that sounds too vanilla, perhaps you might like an Amin chord over top of C in the bass... again leading to the dominant E7.

a truly 'classical' approach would be to simply do an Amin over E for the first ? then resolve it to E7. But regardless, to my ear, it really wants to go there eventually.

Why don't you like goin to C? Were you then following the circle to G? THAT would be cheesy, yes, but where were you going with it?

Message 5/8                 Date: 19-Oct-05  @  02:32 AM   -   RE: just 2 chords needed (for my hit)! :-)

psylichon

and that joke was absolutlely dripping with geekage, milan. i love it...

Message 6/8                 Date: 19-Oct-05  @  09:58 AM   -   RE: just 2 chords needed (for my hit)! :-)

Dominic

Cheers guys. Psy gonna try that tonight and report back. Milan I didn't get the joke dood but am sure it was cool.

Message 7/8                 Date: 20-Oct-05  @  07:04 AM     Edit: 20-Oct-05  |  07:06 AM   -   RE: just 2 chords needed (for my hit)! :-)

Rags

LOL at M

(hey, having names for chords... what's geek if not that?)

Message 8/8                 Date: 20-Oct-05  @  09:12 AM   -   RE: just 2 chords needed (for my hit)! :-)

Dominic

Well I've gone for the C chord psy then into the E7. Dunno why I was holding onto the Asus chord so much. C sounds much better going into the E7. Dunno why I was overcomplicating it - I always do that in every aspect of music making. I have to get away from this thing I have about if I want stuff to sound minor then I have to use more minor chords - thats just wrong. Anyway got me verse and chorus now so thanks alot psy. Again.

Pages: 1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum