0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Mixer "direct outs"

Pages: 1

Original Message 1/7                 Date: 14-Apr-09  @  07:11 PM   -   Mixer

balligood

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Can anyone tell me if I can use "direct outs" on Behringer mixers (various models) with effects applied (outboard or onboard) to my Zoom HD16 recorder?
Thx

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/7                 Date: 20-Apr-09  @  09:26 AM   -   RE: Mixer

k

Link?: Link

inserts can sent out to a reorder, but you would only add effects in series between the direct-out and the recorder input - unless the mixer had inserts AND direct outs, in which case you could insert a processor or fx unit and then send the direct out to record - and that assumes the direct out comes AFTER the insert I/O in the mixer channel circuit

not quite sure why you ask this and what you're trying to do cos it's an odd question

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/7                 Date: 20-Apr-09  @  01:57 PM   -   RE: Mixer

Full Crib

i'm wanting to make a wet drum mix before it goes into the Zoom HD16...the only way to add external effects after tracking on the Zoom is to bounce each individual track.....

Message 4/7                 Date: 21-Apr-09  @  09:13 AM   -   RE: Mixer

k

cant the zoom add internal fx to individual tracks when you mixdown inside the zoom?

what fx did you want to add to some of the individual drum tracks?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/7                 Date: 21-Apr-09  @  03:21 PM   -   RE: Mixer

Full Crib

I have external compression/delay/reverb etc I would like to record wet without having to bounce everything to another track/take.......

Message 6/7                 Date: 22-Apr-09  @  10:43 AM   -   RE: Mixer

k

you'de probably be better off using mebbe some compression on perhaps the kik or snare, but tbh with digital you're better off NOT recording with compression cos you have enuff headroom and if you use compression on mix only you arent bound by the compression you adding on record, so you can adjust the amount to suit in the mix

it's probably better to record clean and straight and then mixdown thru the internal mixer on the recorder unit or thru an external hardware mixer, adding any fx & processing then.

it's really not a good idea to use FX on record cos once you do that you're stuck with those fx and if say you added reverb to the snare drum on record and it doesnt sit in the mix right when you come to mixdown there's nothing you can do about it and you are screwed

Message 7/7                 Date: 21-Mar-11  @  08:38 AM   -   RE: Mixer

Komposition.x

inserts can sent out to a reorder, but you would only add effects in series between the direct-out and the recorder input - unless the mixer had inserts AND direct outs, in which case you could insert a processor or fx unit and then send the direct out to record - and that assumes the direct out comes AFTER the insert I/O in the mixer channel circuit. not quite sure why you ask this and what you're trying to do cos it's an odd question

Nope this answer above is wrong - (Sorry Dude)
Here you go!
For your FX Units use your Aux Send to Input Reverb/ Aux returns to Output the Verb then set to 100% wet, You'll be mixing with your FX now. For Compression, use a Chanel Insert (With either a TRS jack or 2 x TRS/XLR Jacks) for Insert Send/Return, if you Or Using Direct outs, Send these into the Comp/Lim & return them (As in Parallel if you wish Like with the FX Sends Send/Return) or straight through as compressed to a master recorder CD unit.
Good luck! 

Pages: 1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum