0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Having a few problems !

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4                 Date: 15-Mar-11  @  11:21 AM   -   RE: Having a few problems !

NastyM

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi fellas,
Currently having a few problems with recent tracks.
I am using Sonar 8.5 in conjunction with EZ Drummer.
EZ Drummer is a brilliant bit of kit with the best drum sounds / samples i've come across - excellent rhythms all supported with midi.
However when i lay a drum rhythm along side the rest of my tracks i have the following problem.
When playing back through Sonar the mix appears quite clear and the seperation of tracks distinct.
When the tracks are bounced to Audio and converted to either MP3 or WAV files something rather odd occurs
The seperate tracks tend to loose thier distinction and the synths, guitars, drums and keys all seem to bounce off each other  with a result of apparent phasing.
Initially i thought the problem occurred through poor use of reverb - took that out, still phase problems.
I have mauled with the EQ settings .... still problems.
I understand that when several frequencies and waves overlap you can get the effect of some doubling and others cancelling and all sorts of odd happenings.
But one of the bigger mysteries is that this generally only is present with EZ drummer and Sonar. 
If i revert back to Sonars Session drummer will the problem dissappear ..... looks like i answered my own question at this point (use EZ drummer midi with Session drummer kit - only problem here is that EZ Drummer sounds so damn real!) 
Thanks for listening and helping me decide the next course of action 
Will let you know how this works out, or if anyone has had similar problems let us know.
Cheers Martyn    

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/4                 Date: 17-Mar-11  @  03:50 PM   -   RE: Having a few problems !

k

Link?: Link

is it some plugin delay compensation thing? i dunno weird. see my other post in tracks from about the volume (sounds like an over enthusiastic compressor)

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/4                 Date: 21-Mar-11  @  02:28 AM   -   RE: Having a few problems !

sitar

have you tried bouncing the ez drummer midi track alone to audio before exporting to mp3? 

also this is a noob mistake but i've done it recently haha. i've mixed everything down to one track then wondered what happened to the sound until i realized the mixdown is of course playing through the same master by default. i have a compressor in the master so it's getting compressed a second time. d'oh!  

Message 4/4                 Date: 21-Mar-11  @  11:59 AM     Edit: 21-Mar-11  |  12:02 PM   -   RE: Having a few problems !

k

well i re-eq'd it, rolled the bass end and mids off a fraction and added some gentle bus compression. the bass isnt that bad, i had the bass UP on the mixer and didn't realize (see other post about this track you made)

anyhoos - now with the bass rolled off a tad, i prefer a less bassy mix myself, but the mid has some clashes in, such as the distorted guitar comes and swamps the drum mids - generaly the drum mids - the kik upper body and attack and the snare body and toms body etc - get swamped here and there when other mid-range-heavy  stuff comes in

here's the eq'd version - CLICK

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum