0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: 6kbps, 8kHz WMA files and Sanyo ICR-85000

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5                 Date: 08-Jun-10  @  06:29 PM     Edit: 08-Jun-10  |  06:30 PM   -   6kbps, 8kHz WMA files and Sanyo ICR-85000

Musineer Productions

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hello,

Does anyone know where codecs are kept on a Windows XP drive?

I've been sent a 6kbps, 8kHz WMA file recorded on a Sanyo ICR-85000 recorder (a dictation recorder). I can't play or open it on the laptops (W7 and a MacBook Pro).

I used to be able to play and open these types of WMAs with an old Goldwave on the desktop running XP, or with an older Goldwave on an old G4 running running Virtual PC.

Here, I only have the laptops but I do have the physical hard drive from the desktop, and I do have an Icybox to connect it. So I was hoping it might be possible just to copy a folder from the desktop's drive to the W7 laptop. But which folder?

I've tried copying a few folders of codecs that I downloaded but that hasn't done it. I can only imagine that I must have loaded some software at some point that had this blasted codec. But where would that have been stored?

Failing that, does anyone know where a codec's nipples are so that I can give this one's a hefty tweak?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/5                 Date: 08-Jun-10  @  07:36 PM   -   RE: 6kbps, 8kHz WMA files and Sanyo ICR-85000

Musineer Productions

Turns out there are two Sanyo recorders. The other is an ICR-1000.

And for anyone interested/bored enough to have a go at playing one, a test file can be downloaded at www.freelancealot.co.uk/downloads/index.html

The gentleman's gauntlet is dropped, the flapping fish slapped in the face; which DT user can figure out how to play the test file on a Windows 7 or a MacBook? Or are you all scared of the mighty and devious audio codec?

Message 3/5                 Date: 09-Jun-10  @  10:12 AM   -   RE: 6kbps, 8kHz WMA files and Sanyo ICR-85000

k

File?:  File

ACF3D5C.wav

ok - i first converted it with this free programme to an mp3 file

http://download.cnet.com/Free-Mp3-Wma-Converter/3000-2140_4-10442362.html

the resulting converted files plays ok as an mp3 file but i cant upload it - the forum here seems for some weird reason to be rejecting mp3 file uploads with a post - so uploaded a wav instead

not sure why mp3 files are failing... have to check with zazza

anyways that free programme converts it fine

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/5                 Date: 10-Jun-10  @  01:27 AM   -   RE: 6kbps, 8kHz WMA files and Sanyo ICR-85000

Musineer Productions

Thanks for the advice, but did you use a Windows 7 machine or XP?

I downloaded the software but when I try to open that test file I get a message saying the program can't open it and asking if the file is DRM protected.

The file's properties window had it as 'blocked' on my laptop but clicking the 'unblock' button didn't help.

I was going to ask Roly to give you a big sloppy kiss when you next meet but you're going to have to stay puckered as the software you suggest doesn't do the job on this W7 laptop, which is an upgrade from Vista. I'm hoping that Sony-Vista-DRM association isn't the problem.

The nice people at Sanyo have responded to an email and tried to call me yesterday. I'll report back on what happens when I return the call tomorrow.

But thanks for the suggestion -- it was a gallant try but this Sony Vaio obviously saw it coming.

Message 5/5                 Date: 10-Jun-10  @  11:25 AM   -   RE: 6kbps, 8kHz WMA files and Sanyo ICR-85000

k

it was xp pro - yes it sounds like it's a drm thing from vista cos i seem to remember vista came in for a lot of flack over media issues.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum