0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: The "other" Amen Break ?!

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3                 Date: 26-Jul-07  @  09:49 PM   -   History about the Tambourine beat?

Stuff

Link?: Link

File?:  File

DTamb.mp3

Most of us already know the history about the classic Amen Break.. Like it was recorded in the end of the 60's by some religious funk/soul band from the US (The Winstons "Amen Brother" recorded 1968, released as b-side to "Color Him Father" 1969). We also know that N.W.A. (Straight Outta Compton) was one of the first one to sample it into public knowledge (in 1988) before it became the jungle/dnb preset of the 90's.

..This is a tougher one, but I'm very curious about the history of another loop almost as frequently used, especially in the drum'n bass scene. We recognise it as a vivacious breakbeat that hits us with incredible swing tight 16th-note tambourines (impossible to quantize without template) and a distinct metallic-sounding snare drum.

Already in 1989 The Stone Roses dubbed their own drums over it on "Fool's Gold". The year after we could hear it drenched in reverb on Meat Beat Manifesto's "Radio Babylon", and around the same time as a background beat to Right Said Fred's cheesy hit "I'm Too Sexy". Also in 1990 Stock Aitken Waterman throws it right at the intro of Kylie's top10-hit "Step Back In Time". Liam Howlett of Prodigy used it a couple of times for example in "Break & Enter" 1994, and PFM's beautiful The Western tune from 95 is a lovely example, among loads of other drum&bass tracks from the era with that uplifting beat. During the end of the 90's it also came back to mainstream audience following William Orbit's work on Madonna's "Frozen".

But what is really the origin of that particular beat??? When was it performed and recorded?? And by whom? Is it like all the other classic breaks, taken from funk-records mainly from the 1960's and 70's? Or is it something that was recorded, lets say during a New Wave session in the early 80's? Heh what do I know.. please help me with this one - one of the most incredible drumbreaks in the music history! Spread the knowledge as a sample maniac to another.

In the audiofile above i have three (3) examples of the "Tambourine break".
The first one is a loop that contains in several sample libraries, the second is unknown, and the last one is from the famous "Fools Gold" where we can hear it in action.
These three examples differ a bit from each other but has the same character. Especially the second loop is interesting (very lofi because I've only been able to find it in an mid-90s MOD/XM 8-bit file so far) but it's a bit rougher, more aggressive and tighter than the two others - who might be from the same origin. (If someone has the second loop or know where it is available in hi-fi, it'll be well appreciated!)

cheers, Stuff

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/3                 Date: 02-Aug-07  @  04:44 PM   -   RE: The

tom_browning

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Is it this one?

http://www.phatdrumloops.com/old_site/wav/hotpants2.wav

'The JB's - "Hot Pants (I'm Coming) (Bonus Beats)" (Note - often attributed to Bobby Byrd. Available on The JB's 40th Anniversary single)'

Message 3/3                 Date: 03-Aug-07  @  12:21 AM   -   RE: The

k

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

well every old skool break is in our files section, about 450 break loops all normalised and 16bit 44.1 stereo wav format

those examples are speeded up alot

i've also got about 4000 old soul tracks, but i'm keeping those muahahahahahahah

perhaps we should have a new section called THE DAILY OLD SKOOL featuring a great old soul track each day

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum