0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: recording a guitar into Logic

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12                 Date: 09-Dec-05  @  02:57 PM   -   recording a guitar into Logic

Dominic

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

guitar player due in at the weekend. Think the best way to record is to plug the guitar into a line in channel on my Mackie then get another jack and go from the direct output straight into my Mixmaster. Outta the Mixmaster via its spdif and into the digital input of my souncard. The best recording path?

How about compression while recording - should I go for around 3 db of Mixmaster compression or leave it off?

Would you eq it while recording or just cut 80 hz a bit?

Any guitar recording tips or tricks?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/12                 Date: 09-Dec-05  @  03:13 PM   -   RE: recording a guitar into Logic

beds

Link?: Link

guitar into line in? you either mic up his amp, or use some sort of preamp. guitars aren't line level.

Message 3/12                 Date: 09-Dec-05  @  03:15 PM   -   RE: recording a guitar into Logic

k

Link?:  Link

yeah, you CAN go straight into a guitar sim, but it's not as good to my ears as using a proper guitar pre or guitar amp.. use one if possible, even a Line6 or whatever

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/12                 Date: 09-Dec-05  @  03:39 PM   -   RE: recording a guitar into Logic

Dominic

Nah I ain't micing up a cabinet. Plus I haven't got sm58's. Will I have to use the XLR input then? That's what I use for vocals. Phantom power innit.

Message 5/12                 Date: 09-Dec-05  @  04:01 PM   -   RE: recording a guitar into Logic

beds

just go with your original idea then. no comp, or eq. have you got an amp sim vst? voxengo do a free one i think.

Message 6/12                 Date: 09-Dec-05  @  04:41 PM   -   RE: recording a guitar into Logic

Dominic

nah - just Logics overdrive plugs and psp vintage warmer. Its an acoustic gtr by the way. got a plug at the back for a jack. Cheers.

Message 7/12                 Date: 09-Dec-05  @  04:44 PM   -   RE: recording a guitar into Logic

k

yeah, but u always get a weedy thin sound from a bridge pickup - unless it has a good in-body pickup that is, which are better. But a mic is always best on acoustic

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/12                 Date: 09-Dec-05  @  04:59 PM   -   RE: recording a guitar into Logic

Dominic

Hmmmmm. Yeah, well, Hmmmmm - maybe I'm gonna have to borrow a mic now. Its only a demo but well, hmmmmm, should I borrow one and go for a mono acoustic sound or shall I borrow 2 and put one over the guitar neck aswell and go for a phat acoustic stereo spread? But then won't I get a better performance if I record her singing at the same time? Bloody hell I'm up to 3 mics now. Thanks alot K you bastard!!

Message 9/12                 Date: 09-Dec-05  @  07:17 PM   -   RE: recording a guitar into Logic

k

the 58 is fine, just watch the placement - experiment with it pointing in the direction of the neck joining the body or more towards the hole - check the bass/tops balance as you move the mic.

I dont think you'll get a better performance recording singing as she plays, unless she varies her timing on the fly alot to go with the mood as she plays

Message 10/12                 Date: 15-Dec-05  @  06:21 PM   -   RE: recording a guitar into Logic

milan

for direct recording you need a DI box innit... line in will sound crap.

Message 11/12                 Date: 16-Dec-05  @  04:49 AM   -   RE: recording a guitar into Logic

damballah

yep. except with acoustics, that's usually one of those piezo pickups which is ok if you wanna amplify it for a gig but recording you'll get a more real sound sticking the mic out in front. if you're borrowing/renting there's some other things to try besides a shure stage vocal mic.

Message 12/12                 Date: 18-Dec-05  @  08:00 PM   -   RE: recording a guitar into Logic

k

i've got a bridge pickup in my acoustic which i had fitted. There's no way it shows the quality of the guitar even 10%. Mic's the way to go for sure, Mind you, those Takamines have a good system, they sound not bad, but still a mic' is way better

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum