0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: distortion on hihats?

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/13                 Date: 16-Aug-05  @  02:38 PM   -   distortion on hihats?

milan

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

how about it? do you ever use it? helps get those off-beat hats nice and wooshy if you know how to control it, no?

any comments?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/13                 Date: 16-Aug-05  @  03:24 PM   -   RE: distortion on hihats?

k

Link?:  Link

well, i'm a great beleiver in distortion period!... i dont like stuff too clean, i like things to be gelled into the sum of the parts, a tad of distortion on B.vocals f'rinstance to hot them up

hats... hmm... well i used to use a delay on them alot and feedback the delay in the usual manner which induces some distortion of you drive the delay.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/13                 Date: 16-Aug-05  @  08:54 PM   -   RE: distortion on hihats?

Rags

well, yeah. distort EVRYTHING!

Distortion tend to turn hihats into noise generators (connected to an on-off switch being turned on and off by a robot :-), making your hihat patterns more agressive. Only thing is, you might need an additional underlying hihat pattern (a more "conservative" one with no or at least   less distortion). This depends on context, sometimes too much dist can turn your hihats into something else, and the absence of "proper hihats" might be disturbing to the listener.

Message 4/13                 Date: 16-Aug-05  @  10:59 PM   -   RE: distortion on hihats?

milan

yeah obviously. the thing is, i've been listening to a lot of 'housey' music lately and their hats often go whoosh whoosh whoosh, and i simply dont have any samples which sound quite like that, so i thought there must be some aditional processing involved.

btw... i used a lot of distortion here (in moderate quantities tho)-> click for the tune innit its horrible, i know :P just thought of it as an example

and wow this new linking prompt kicks major ass! big up the man like kilo!

Message 5/13                 Date: 18-Aug-05  @  03:01 PM     Edit: 18-Aug-05  |  03:04 PM   -   RE: distortion on hihats?

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

you sure its not just compression your after?

waves rcomp on open hats makes them go woosh woosh - zero attack, to take all the bite off them and give it plenty on the threshold and ratio, turn gain up you should get the sound i think your after!

blu

Message 6/13                 Date: 18-Aug-05  @  03:41 PM   -   RE: distortion on hihats?

milan

really? thats interesting, i've never tried messing with it much except to keep stuff *clean* heheh. will give it a try.

Message 7/13                 Date: 24-Aug-05  @  03:48 PM   -   RE: distortion on hihats?

monkeybasket2001

Link?:  No link

i want that sound too- ive tried andrews tip ages ago...gave a good approximation but eel perhaps is something in the sound itself..

greg

Message 8/13                 Date: 24-Aug-05  @  07:06 PM     Edit: 24-Aug-05  |  07:07 PM   -   RE: distortion on hihats?

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

(alan hehehe)

well, you should buss out the now smashed hat to the other main percusion bus and compress together here to get the swing going like you hear on the records

alots gonna depend on the initial sample tho. polish turd etc

blu

Message 9/13                 Date: 25-Aug-05  @  03:50 PM   -   RE: distortion on hihats?

Dominic

You sure its not a flange or chorus thing going on?

Message 10/13                 Date: 25-Aug-05  @  04:53 PM   -   RE: distortion on hihats?

milan

heheh... yeah, thats another good trick! just make sure you sample the hat with the chorus on, otherwise it gets unpredictable.

Message 11/13                 Date: 26-Aug-05  @  11:30 AM   -   RE: distortion on hihats?

monkeybasket2001

thats like the second time ive called you andrew- where did i get that from?!?!?!?!?!?

if we are singing from the same sheet the sound im after sound a bit like its got some shaker in there-time tos te the gear up again i think

greg

Message 12/13                 Date: 26-Aug-05  @  01:20 PM   -   RE: distortion on hihats?

milan

yeah, i think its the same that i'm talking about. thats the whooshy bit. hey, no one ever said you cant double up a hat with a shaker! in fact, i'm working on a groove where the shaker IS the main hat, doubled up subtly with some other bits for variation.

Message 13/13                 Date: 26-Aug-05  @  01:49 PM   -   RE: distortion on hihats?

monkeybasket2001

yar a few of my tracks have shakers instead of hats- in fact i also clip the ends of for that 'chick' 'chick' hat sound....

a good tip from steve was to side chain you hats- use a 1/16th note as a trigger and get that to trigger on the 3rd 16th of the bar...therefore for the first 16th of your hat its compressed and then rushes back up to volume- probably more suited to techno, probably something you've known for years but def a cool tip!!
g
reg

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum